A tone control that works!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The rotary switch works and now the amp is perfect...

Attachments

• The Mänster Schematic.jpg
    The Mänster Schematic.jpg
    474.5 KB · Views: 218
The rotary switch works and now the amp is perfect...
Well if you would have posted the schematic first there might have been less confusion.

Choosing what... the rotary switch I just stated.

Unless there is a tone control that really works, I am choosing this.

It is a guitar amp. I've used the standard Bassman tone, a treble cut circuit.
I've tried many different sizes of pots and caps but still get the same results, good highs, but the lows then are too quiet. Or the opposite, too much lows. And then the pot only works for the first 33% of the turn, or the last, and then no variance with the rest of the turn.

What you were describing before did not make much sense.

Bassman tone control.
tonestack.gif

Your circuit you posted afterwards.

272336d1332006934-tone-control-works-tone-switch-schematic.jpg

Not sure where the pots and their sizes comes in with this but I do not see one.

It is good that your amp is now perfect.

What has become clear is that he wanted one big knob to turn, like the "tone" control on a table radio. What is confusing is that the separate bass, treble, (and middle) controls in the standard Fender Bassman are generally called tone controls.

Scott I think has in mind the VERY early Bassman 5B6, which had a single tone control, a simple treble rolloff, but by the 5E6, and all later Bassman amps, we had bass and treble controls separately. Mids were added to later versions.

For a trip down Bassman history lane, look at the collection here:
Fender Amp Heaven Schematics - Tweed Blackface Brownface Silverface Bassman Champ Deluxe Princeton Super Vibroverb Reissue

There are over 20 Bassman schematic versions there, and the list is not complete.

Good you got your amp working Daniel.

Just one suggested mod - put a capacitor in series with the connection to the wiper (middle terminal) of the gain control.

When that pot starts to wear / get dirty, and most of them do, it will cut down the amount of crackle that happens when you use that pot a lot:

The Manster scratch less.jpg

sounds like you want the big muff type control, a low pass filter and a high pass filter that blends the 2, and theres a "precence" mod youy might want to use on a switch. failing that have you tried any inductors aswell? they act as a low impedance to low frequencies and high impedance to high frequencies. there are variable capacitors, but more suited to radio use i think.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.