Microphone for guitar/singing

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
In my band days we used Shure SM58 for vocals. Many, many professionals use this mike for vocals. They are still the best bang for the buck. You really are better off spending a $100 and getting this. You will be very happy. I couldn't see the Facebook page as I don't do Facebook.

Edit: If you want a mike for vocals and instrument then choose the SM57. Great for instruments, still good for vocals, but the SM58 is better for vocals.

Last edited:
By the way, don't you need more stuff than just a microphone? Any specific soundcard/software, cables, amplifier and such?

It depends on what you are trying to do. Like I said, I can't see your Facebook page.

You just mentioned "microphone". Of course, to make use of the microphone, you will need a cable, maybe a mixer/preamp. If you want to use for live you will need a PA system. Mixer, amplifier, speakers.

You mentioned soundcard/software. If you are looking to record songs to a PC with vocals & instrumentation, take a look at Cakewalk software. One of the best.

A ton of information here about what it takes to connect your instruments to a PC for recording.

Cakewalk - Music Creator 5 - Easy Music Recording Software For PC

YouTube - ‪Wonderwall (cover) - kalindi gielen‬‏

That's an old video. She has a slightly better microphone at the moment, but still lots of room for improvement.
Recording songs to a PC is the main thing, i suppose.

She has a very nice voice, and her guitar playing works for her style.

If you do research on how to record guitar and vocals, coupled with the software I previously mentioned and the new microphone, the difference compared to what you have now, will be like night and day. The guitar and the vocals need to be miked separately. Preferably recorded separately in order to EQ each track and mix them down to a final mix.

Like I said, do some research, (Google is your friend) and the recordings you make will be excellent.

I agree with you all concerning condensers in a studio application.

This software may be of some help and although it is somewhat limited, it is free.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

It would be best to have some sort of audio interface for best results as opposed to using the mic-in of your sound card. The M-Audio Fast Track device mentioned in the recording article is a good one.

Last edited:
Anatoliy,

We're getting a bit fine for a newbie wanting a basic mic for stage use...

windsock outside, eh? :D

I setup my PA systems on stage for newbies, and draw white line 3 feet from large diaphragm condenser microphones telling that no way to approach mikes closer! Here is the picture: JBL on stage that created feedback with head-mounted Shure microphones, and my line array that was used instead, with my large diaphragm mikes. However, you can see also a tube amp and a cheap Behringer 31-band EQ that was used to set frequency response FLAT.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
I used Sure,AKG's and Audio Technica microphones exculsively I have seen I few Beyer Dynamics that were good aswell but never had the chance to try them out.

I also used my Peavy TN520 on several occasions with great results from amps,vocals and kickdrums and hi-hats it is a very versital large diagphram dynamic microphone.

For vocals we used a at 403X series with dual diagphrams it was quite costly at $950 but it was well worth the investment and worth every penny.
Unbelievibly natural and clean with no nuances.

I used the SM57 on every thing from amps to snares and it is good on vocals aswell but quite directional compared to the SM58 and could be a problem if the singer moves around alot doesn't sing straight thru the microphone.

Condenser pen microphones again are very directional but incredibely very clean sounding and they have a ruler flat response, we used those for overhead drum and cymbals as well as acuostic guitar and saxiphones and were super on conga's the ones we used were Audio Techica 30XX series.

I don't remember the exact model numbers as it was in the mid 90's when I had them and alot of them either walked off or were loaned out and never returned when we stopped recording as a business, so I have what is left.

The numbers are different to what is availible today although they basicaly haven't changed much.

I still have my Peavy TN520 as my only good microphone right now aswell as a few odds and ends and some very old sure SE50's and I still have all of our little egg shaped AKG tom-tom and kick drum microphones but they are not the flat responsed versions (bummer).

I use audacity it is a great program but records only two channels at once.
We used samplitude to do all of our mastering with and recorded analog with a Tascam MSR-16.
Samplitude will do multitrack with the proper card.

There are many very quality sound cards available these days but a good clean mixer is a must like a little Mackie or Beringer can be be had for less than $200 unless you need more channels.

I currently have a mackie 32-8 and it has been working nearly flawless since 1994 and it has been on 24/7 for the last 3 years I think I turned it off less than a dozen times during that period only to move it around.

Anyway I hope that gives you some food for thought! jer

Last edited:
Well ya,I was just refelcting on my past experience's and I wasn't sure exactly what you were going for.

I think you won't be disapointed with a SM57 or SM58 for sure as well as a good Beyer Dynamic.

The few BD's that I did hear in use was in live performances and they are very clear sounding only like I said I never got the chance to record with them.

We had one singer that had her own that she used it exclusively when the band came over to practice and she used it at all of the gigs as well.
I must say that I was very impressed with the BD microphones as I believe that they are a little more costly than a Sure for a good one.

When it comes to recording quality comes with cost ,But with the proper selction of components it doesn't have to be expensive and can be done very well on a limited budget.

jer

I am going through the samples on the website that you suggested and I will put together a list of the microphones that I feel that are most impressive below the 200 range as there are few less expencive that are okay but not many.
I will try to have it later to day as I have about 8 so far choosen and I want to get them in some kind of order.

jer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.