THE WIRE conglomerate build thread, impressions and gallery - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th February 2012, 04:00 AM   #1
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default THE WIRE conglomerate build thread, impressions and gallery

Right, the time has come to give this a proper venue, so that build queries, impressions and casework ideas can be shared and searched more adequately. The SNR in the OG thread has gotten out of control.

My amp is pretty non-standard, so not really something people will follow, but it might give some ideas.

So fire away guys, people should feel free to start posting pics, impressions and questions related to their own builds. I will try to help out here as time allows, but hopefully supporting this will be a community effort that isnt limited to opc and myself. I encourage you to all get involved, for an amp that has so many pcbs out there there doesnt seem to be all that many finished projects; whats up with that?

Anyway; On with the show! such a great little amp, looking forward to hearing some more impressions

so heres my BAL-BAL, optimized for low profile and low impedance for battery operation. the TX2352 Zfoils are just till the ASMP SMD zfoils arrive, i have omitted the input resistors and will bridge them to keep the input lowZ, as this is also the IV stage for my portable sabre

I had to improvise with the heatsinks, i wont need all that much for this build and the BOM sinks are too large, so these are made with Goertz 8awg copper foil speaker cable bent into shape; the PCB alone might have been enough at the lower voltage i'm using and unity gain, but given the rather low impedance headphones I Favor, I thought it best to add some backup, plus it looks pretty sweet.

The panasonic SP polymer caps are used for low profile, never mind they are the lowest impedance caps i know of, but after the issues a couple of people had with the soldermask shorting through, I thought it best to elevate them a little bit on some 18awg copper 'leads'; they are still shorter than any lowz can type PTH cap i know of, so worked out well

the 2 middle heatsinks are not as close as they appear

ok since its been asked again....

NO! there are no PCBs left!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAL-BAL low profile_15Feb2012_0532.jpg (148.6 KB, 2055 views)
File Type: jpg BAL-BAL low profile_15Feb2012_0534.jpg (144.9 KB, 1972 views)
File Type: jpg BAL-BAL low profile_15Feb2012_0535.jpg (149.2 KB, 1914 views)
File Type: jpg BAL-BAL low profile_15Feb2012_0537.jpg (131.0 KB, 1828 views)

Last edited by qusp; 24th November 2012 at 11:38 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 04:06 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
Anyway; On with the show! such a great little amp, looking forward to hearing some more impressions
Great initiative to have a separate thread for building!

It might be handy to have some links early in the thread, especially to the build wiki - "The Wire" Headphone Amp Build Wiki - diyAudio

I am looking forward to having parts soon to start building my own, till then I'll keep peaking in here for photos
Old 15th February 2012, 04:15 AM   #3
Just DIY!
diyAudio Member

Good idea Qusp!

Thanks for the new thread

Do
Old 15th February 2012, 04:27 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

like i said, coming back later to do the real post, this is just a placeholder, however generally the builders know where the GB thread and wiki is already

i'll add the wiki, but i dont know why you would link the development thread
Old 15th February 2012, 02:01 PM   #5
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Very nice! I love the low profile. How thin did you manage when it's all said and done? I'm guessing 0.5" but you might be able to do even better than that.

It does look like you've got a cold solder joint on the left side of C45 however. Might need to get the iron back out to touch that one up

What rail voltage will you get off the batteries? Anything below 10V should make for very minimal disspation, so heat shouldn't be an issue.

The BAL-BAL is my main headamp right now, and I'm driving it off the output of an AD1955 reference board into my AH-D2000's. I really like this setup, and I love how the BAL-BAL performs with the Denons. I'm looking forward to listening impression when you get your batteries all wire up and ready to go!

Cheers,
Owen

Last edited by opc; 15th February 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old 15th February 2012, 02:40 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

hehe i thought you might say something about that, but its actually fine, theres just a bit of black scum from the cardas flux in the middle, but now youve said something i wont be able to help it =D. edit: actually I just looked at the real thing and its a convex spot in the shiny mirror like reflection causing a black spot in the photo =D see below for better angle

as for the profile, nothing extends higher than the buffer top or bottom (~10mm thick all up), cant get any smaller than that unless I start lapping away at the epoxy down to the die the screw standoffs are just temporary while i work with it on the bench

the voltage is lower than that, about +/-6.8-7.2vdc but all the current it can eat as i'm feeding this direct from the batteries; which are capable of 70A constant and 120A burst and have an output impedance of about 25mOhms. I'm thinking of trying the front end off the dual mono bipolar LDOs and only feeding the buffers direct from 600uf per rail of SP caps about 40mm away in the case, but whether this will be an improvement is dubious, it would just mean that it would be shutdown automatically with low battery like the rest of the unit.

voltage is a bit low for the buffers, but to get decent runtime of about 7hrs with the rest of the dac and PSU eating about 325ma, i couldnt fit more M1A cells into a usable chassis. going from previous impressions if this is better than it was already, its like nothing available commercially portable thats for sure (even the ibasso DX100 does not perform at this level, theyve the analogue stage must be limiting performance to get the performance they are getting with 9018 IMO. I expect the runtime to reduce down to about 5hrs with the added buffers, i'm pretty excited myself!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BAL-BAL low profile_15Feb2012_0531.jpg (127.2 KB, 1767 views)

Last edited by qusp; 15th February 2012 at 02:56 PM.
Old 16th February 2012, 06:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
as this is also the IV stage for my portable sabre
Do you have some info about this portable sabre project? I'm interested
Old 16th February 2012, 08:01 PM   #8
neb001 is offline neb001  United States
diyAudio Member

I haven't finished anything because I'm trying to sort/plan out everything and I'm also trying to pick up arduino so I can configure a 7-segment lcd display for the relay attenuator that I'm planning to use. What's everyone using for a case?

Last edited by neb001; 16th February 2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 17th February 2012, 12:02 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiEx View Post
Do you have some info about this portable sabre project? I'm interested
nah its 100% DIY and i never planned for it to go on sale so its not documented and i dont plan to, also perhaps you would do a double take if you saw the cost to complete a unit. i'll have more pics of it in the next couple of days, just uses a modified buffalo II, a PSU/MCU of my design, but laid out by Nattonrice, transformer coupled spdif and the bal-bal wire. all parts are OTT and once the chassis is finished it will have cost around 1500-1750 minimum. its more transportable than portable, but comfortably fits in my manbag or coat
Old 17th February 2012, 12:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Quote:
laid out by nattonrice
Yay go me

Hide this!Advertise here!