The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project

I am finished with assembling the o2 amp but I am having problems with J1. The leads for the power jack are way too big. How did everyone overcome this?

I have already managed to break the jack by trying to crimp the leads to make them fit. Will be reordering that 1 part soon.

I am using the Kobiconn DC power Connector PCB 2.1MM

Oh, a silly question.
I have removed the gain resistors for a 1x gain, but is there any way to get even less gain?
For low level evening listening I still find myself having the volume control all way to the bottom almost which means I get a little channel imbalances.

Since I'm using the computer as source, is there anyway I could lower the output from the computer?
I know it's possible to just turn down the volume in Foobar2000, but that degrades the audio quality, doesn't it?

I am finished with assembling the o2 amp but I am having problems with J1. The leads for the power jack are way too big. How did everyone overcome this?

I have already managed to break the jack by trying to crimp the leads to make them fit. Will be reordering that 1 part soon.

I am using the Kobiconn DC power Connector PCB 2.1MM

Kobiconn changed the leads a few month back, since then the two pins in the middle are to wide to fit. I use a key file to grind them down until the PCB will be revised.
You need to be careful with the pin in the center of the connector, it sometimes comes off very easy when applying to much force.

Stefan

Ah, great. Then I wont need to do any further modifications on my O2+ODAC then :)

I'm a bit confused. Strictly speaking if the computer is the source, as you mentioned, then you aren't using the ODAC. In which case there is a possibility of audio degrading with lowering volume if the onboard/laptop soundcard is not running at 24bit. However, even then I've been lead to understand that this is only an issue with Windows XP sound implementation and may not affect Vista+.

In any case, to be safe it's worth checking that the soundcard is configured to 24bit. On Vista the ODAC defaults to 16bit!!!!!! So if Vista/win7 does have issues at 16bit (as well as XP) then a lot of people may not be getting what they thought they were getting.

Can any one tell me what win7 defaults to?

I'm a bit confused. Strictly speaking if the computer is the source, as you mentioned, then you aren't using the ODAC. In which case there is a possibility of audio degrading with lowering volume if the onboard/laptop soundcard is not running at 24bit. However, even then I've been lead to understand that this is only an issue with Windows XP sound implementation and may not affect Vista+.

In any case, to be safe it's worth checking that the soundcard is configured to 24bit. On Vista the ODAC defaults to 16bit!!!!!! So if Vista/win7 does have issues at 16bit (as well as XP) then a lot of people may not be getting what they thought they were getting.

Can any one tell me what win7 defaults to?

How can I play my tracks from the ODAC? All my tracks are on my computer, using Foobar2000 to play them and connected the ODAC+O2 via USB to my computer.

How can I play my tracks from the ODAC? All my tracks are on my computer, using Foobar2000 to play them and connected the ODAC+O2 via USB to my computer.

You probably are. It's terminology. Foobar is probably using the ODAC to play instead of the computer's sound card. Strictly speaking the ODAC is the source. The computer is only the source when you are using it's internal sound card. Effectively it is the soundcard (which is what the ODAC is) that it the 'source'. Foobar is just a software player that will use whichever soiund card is configured. So long as there is no 3.5mm lead going from the computer's sound output to the O2 then foobar must be using the ODAC. (The O2 'in' socket gets preference/priority over the ODAC.)

Is there something wrong with my O2 if it picks up audible RFI from my CDMA cell phone? It'll buzz and click while my phone sends and receives data at up to 10 feet away.

My O2+Odac did the same yesterday, but then my phone was ~10cm from the device. If I have the phone if my left pocket and the amp on the desktop on my right I have never heard it pick up any noise.

6L6

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Did you ground the case?

IMG_0482.jpg