Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th October 2011, 02:01 AM   #561
diyAudio Member

From Nav Guy's O2 Details Blog, "There have been several suggesting higher voltage supply rails for various reasons. Some have dredged up rare discontinued headphones that need more than 7 Vrms to hit 115 dB SPL"

Are K240M's rare? Oh well, I guess I'm beat!
Old 25th October 2011, 03:36 AM   #562
fubar3 is offline fubar3  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSlim View Post
If you download the BOM from NwAvGuy's(RocketScientist) website, you can copy the parts list and upload it to Mouser with their Import BOM tool that's under the Services & Tools Tab. No typing required..
I could not get the Import BOM to work on a Linux computer. Instead I read the XLS file with Gnumeric, swapped columns to show part number followed by quantity and saved as a CSV file. Then I used a text editor to finalize for Mouser's format so I could copy-and-paste into the Mouser web page. No sweat... yeah sure.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:37 PM   #563
keyd is offline keyd  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
The Grub Dac from Beezar.com might fit the bill for you, although you'd have to figure out how to mount the board and connectors.. You could probably put it in the B3-080 desktop case along with the O2....
Planning on adding this to the o2, im not going to use battery so if necessary im planning on cutting the board to make it fit.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:46 PM   #564
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubar3 View Post
I could not get the Import BOM to work on a Linux computer. Instead I read the XLS file with Gnumeric, swapped columns to show part number followed by quantity and saved as a CSV file. Then I used a text editor to finalize for Mouser's format so I could copy-and-paste into the Mouser web page. No sweat... yeah sure.
Hmm.. I used OpenOffice in Ubuntu, and just cut and pasted the two columns out of the file as is, and it worked for me..
Old 25th October 2011, 09:53 PM   #565
tschuss is offline tschuss  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Hmm.. I used OpenOffice in Ubuntu, and just cut and pasted the two columns out of the file as is, and it worked for me..
+1
Old 25th October 2011, 10:05 PM   #566
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardpp View Post
From Nav Guy's O2 Details Blog, "There have been several suggesting higher voltage supply rails for various reasons. Some have dredged up rare discontinued headphones that need more than 7 Vrms to hit 115 dB SPL"

Are K240M's rare? Oh well, I guess I'm beat!
Well, rare might be debatable, but discontinued? yes. The K240MkII which replaces it (or the K240Studio) both have an impedance of 55ohms, which is realistic with the O2.

From AKG's website, under the K240M details: "600-ohm impedance for special studio applications". So it sounds like they are setup to be used with electronics that are less likely to be found outside of a studio...
Old 25th October 2011, 11:10 PM   #567
diyAudio Member

Actually, I just discovered that My K601's at 120 ohms might be the highest impedance AKGs around now, and for some odd reason can't find them on the AKG site(not even in discontinued models)...

Last edited by MrSlim; 25th October 2011 at 11:12 PM.
Old 26th October 2011, 02:35 AM   #568
diyAudio Member

Gain Question...

If I feed the o2 with my AMB Gamma2, what is the highest gain I should use?

The output level of the gamma2 is 1.4Vrms at 0dBFS

Thanks for your help!
Old 26th October 2011, 09:34 AM   #569
diyAudio Member

From blog:
Maximum Gain = 7 / Vin(max) and on batteries it’s 4.5 / Vin(max)

On a totally separate note, I have just noticed I wired my TRS jack completely backwards: I wired the left channel on the board to ground on the socket, the right channel to the left channel on the socket and board ground to the left channel. I am even more confused by the fact that I have been listening to it and both channels seemed fine

Last edited by Willakan; 26th October 2011 at 09:46 AM.
Old 26th October 2011, 11:01 AM   #570
diyAudio Member

Quote:
This has been discussed earlier in the thread(sorry you'll have to dig for it).
The headphones you are talking about are outside the operating parameters of the O2 and trying to do what you want to do is unlikely to work very well.

You'll need something more powerful, like the previously mentioned "The Wire" or the Twisted Pear Ventus (unfortunately out of stock at this time) which both use the LME49600 buffer.
It's disappointing that, with my current headphones, I can't take advantage of what promises to be a great portable amp in such well presented diy package. Looking at "The Wire", I think I'd be out of my depth, there (ie; SMT). I'll go ahead with the O2 in the meantime, thanks MrSlim

Hide this!Advertise here!