The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th September 2011, 06:07 PM   #361
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
rocketscientist, are you going to release the maxxed desktop version anytime soon?
Define "soon"? I really don't know. I think I said "this fall" and I still hope to achieve that. Right now I'm still spending time on the O2.

Speaking of the O2, the proto PCBs are "out for delivery" and I'm expecting them today if all goes well. I'll be building one up ASAP once they arrive.
Old 13th September 2011, 06:30 PM   #362
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketScientist View Post
Perhaps you might want to start your own thread with a design using the high voltage LME49xxx parts?
No thanks!

But one other semi-related suggestion. If you happen to use adjustable regulators on the desktop version (LM317/337 etc) an idea would be to bring a rail voltage adjust pot out the front panel. The control could be labeled something like "600 ohm" for 16V or whatever your favorite high(er) voltage is, "80 ohm - 250ohm" for the 12V and "16 ohm" for 6V or so.

On the upper end that would provide more voltage for 600 ohm cans, however nutty the idea may be, and on the low end provide even more protection for low impedance cans.
Old 13th September 2011, 06:41 PM   #363
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by agdr View Post
But one other semi-related suggestion. If you happen to use adjustable regulators on the desktop version (LM317/337 etc) an idea would be to bring a rail voltage adjust pot out the front panel. The control could be labeled something like "600 ohm" for 16V or whatever your favorite high(er) voltage is, "80 ohm - 250ohm" for the 12V and "16 ohm" for 6V or so.
That's an interesting idea. Are the adjust voltages/currents symmetrical between the 317 and 337? A switch might be a better solution. There's still the chance for "operator error", however using the high rails with say AKG K701s or planars and the O2 might die.

I know there are several headphone amps that use a DC-DC converter that can run at 2 or more rail voltages. It's pretty cool idea to help further adapt the amp to your headphones (especially where battery life is an issue).
Old 14th September 2011, 01:36 AM   #364
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flynhawaiian View Post
Great! Once we get the alignment issues verified and everything we can see about getting the GB together!

Iím not sure if it would be possible, but maybe we can also get a group buy going for cases as well. Once I hear something back about the alignment issues and everything, I'll try and jump on the ball about getting things started, and finalized with everyone!
It might be worth doing a "Group Buy interest check" to see what level of interest there is.
I myself would be in for at least 25 of the "portable" front panels.

I'm also wondering how many of the builders are going to do the "desktop" style case, which would require both front and back panels, with RCA's added to the existing "front" panel, but without the volume control(which would go to the back), and a simpler new desktop front panel with the volume control, 1/4 jack, LED power light(that's what I'm planning anyway), and a logo.. If we get enough interest in those as well, it would save everyone some money (and I would need about 19 sets of them..)..

We could discuss the finer details of the logos, etc, until the alignment issues have been resolved. Hopefully in the meantime, we'll get critical mass on the GB interest list that will save everyone some serious money

JD
Old 14th September 2011, 01:48 AM   #365
tschuss is offline tschuss  United States
diyAudio Member

Yeah, if the pricing were kept to the level that's been thrown about (~$10), I'd definitely be in for 3 of them. More than that starts to get a little beyond what I'd prefer to pay.
Old 14th September 2011, 02:15 AM   #366
diyAudio Member

I have the boards and I'm building one up now. So far I can report the pots, both the 15mm and 20mm shaft Alps and 15mm and 20mm "star" (T16) shaft Bourns work exactly as designed with the desired clearance between the knob and front panel.

Two different FPE front panels have been confirmed to fit. But the 3.5mm jacks don't quite live up to their drawing by a tiny fraction of a millimeter. It seems the 3.5mm jack openings need to be a tiny bit higher on the panel.

I'll let everyone know once I get the board done if I encounter any fit or performance problems after testing it on the dScope analyzer.

I'll also report back on modifying the battery terminal footprint to accommodate the Keystone as well as the existing Eagle parts.
Old 14th September 2011, 06:35 AM   #367
diyAudio Member

I put up an interest poll in the GB forum.
Old 14th September 2011, 06:48 AM   #368
diyAudio Member

As reported in post 697 in the group buy thread, the new PCB works great. I'm still researching the panel fit. I think the existing file is very close to correct and the jack issue might be related to the jacks not being fully seated in the PCB. It's also possible all the panel openings (except the screw holes) need to move up a few thousands of an inch.
Old 14th September 2011, 02:36 PM   #369
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Define "soon"? I really don't know. I think I said "this fall" and I still hope to achieve that. Right now I'm still spending time on the O2.

Speaking of the O2, the proto PCBs are "out for delivery" and I'm expecting them today if all goes well. I'll be building one up ASAP once they arrive.
1 month starting from today, perhaps?
Old 14th September 2011, 03:23 PM   #370
MrSlim is offline MrSlim  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Just say "Friday" ..

Hide this!Advertise here!