The Objective2 (O2) Headphone Amp DIY Project - Page 237 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th April 2012, 07:20 AM   #2361
BlueRob is offline BlueRob  Mexico
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yangoran View Post
Yea I imagine the O2 will sound good regardless of whether or not you spend time heatsinking your opamp ICs but I am rather curious as to whether or not there is a measurable difference when driving challenging loads.
Measurable probably yes when the Ics are pushed to their limits, audible difference I do not thinks so....for standard use It seems to me very hard to hit those limits and hear a palpable difference.

Maybe some guys here with very demanding cans can gives us some insight on the matter.
Old 16th April 2012, 07:53 AM   #2362
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueRob View Post
No offense mate but I think you worry to much....IC temps are not one of the things in life to worry about IMO. Plug the O2 and enjoy music
It's important to me as I wish to do sustained, high power sine wave testing. It's how I make my headphones sound wonderful. As it happens I also have a modded Fostex T50rp's and the mod I chose, while cheap, results in a large bump in the low mids that results in a painful shoutiness. That, and other artifacts, need equalising out.
Old 16th April 2012, 02:27 PM   #2363
diyAudio Member

I've got a question for everyone. My soundcard has some DC offset that I want to combat with DC blocking caps on the O2's input. What do I need to know in terms of ideal placement, cap size, and cap type?

I thought I'd just place one of these in front of R3 and another in front of R7. Am I OK here?
Old 16th April 2012, 02:59 PM   #2364
Turbon is offline Turbon  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Now ethanolson et al. Is there really any room in a sence of bettering this design? Remember that this was put toghether by a rocketscientist. Horray, he showed his outstanding qualities. Actually I mean it.

We are as I see it put in the corner. OK, by me - dull, but ok in the sence of that I can't better the really good SQ it gives. I can only go horray again.

Brgds
Old 16th April 2012, 03:05 PM   #2365
diyAudio Member

I don't think I'll be bettering the measurements... if anything, taking a slight hit. I think it's a good move since my PC soundcard is putting out some DC. I haven't measured it with a meter, but when I have it feeding my DAW, the baseline hovers noticably high and I have to employ DC offset correction in the software to correct the waveform. It also causes clipping at and near 0dBfs which is something I want to correct passively.

FYI, the clipping, of course, only occurs when I have it being recorded at levels without any margin. Audio output from the line out is just a bit higher in voltage on one side than the other, so I'm not hearing any clipping with my ears just for listening purposes. So this is mainly to preserve the gain OpAmp and to keep the audio as balanced as possible.

Last edited by ethanolson; 16th April 2012 at 03:15 PM. Reason: I'm smarter now than when I first posted.
Old 16th April 2012, 03:28 PM   #2366
diyAudio Member

Then again your PC problems are quite OT here. Lower the output from your soundcard would be the natural answer unless you consider it to be the rule...

2V input doesn't seem to be 2V to everyone. If you want 1.4V - loose some energy at the input stage.

Brgds
Old 16th April 2012, 03:51 PM   #2367
diyAudio Member

I know that the caps after the pot perform the same function, but I'm under the impression that the gain-stage OpAmp can be stressed a bit by DC so I'd like to stop it. If that's not actually the case, then I'd like some correction.
Old 16th April 2012, 03:57 PM   #2368
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanolson View Post
I know that the caps after the pot perform the same function, but I'm under the impression that the gain-stage OpAmp can be stressed a bit by DC so I'd like to stop it. If that's not actually the case, then I'd like some correction.
So your looking for a solution to something that's not to known being a problem in this universe?

Brgds
Old 16th April 2012, 04:07 PM   #2369
dixter is offline dixter  United States
diyAudio Member

Quick question... I noticed there are now pre-orders taking place for the ODAC boards...

Will a new forum be started or will we use the O2 forum for questions on the ODAC ??

right now I have three questions on the ODAC...

1) what is the part number for the output jack
2) what enclosure will be suitable for the ODAC, stand alone
3) anyone have a front/back panel design yet....for stand alone enclosure
Old 16th April 2012, 05:08 PM   #2370
diyAudio Member

I hope it's started over in the Digital Line Level forum instead of here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixter View Post
Quick question... I noticed there are now pre-orders taking place for the ODAC boards...

Will a new forum be started or will we use the O2 forum for questions on the ODAC ??

right now I have three questions on the ODAC...

1) what is the part number for the output jack
2) what enclosure will be suitable for the ODAC, stand alone
3) anyone have a front/back panel design yet....for stand alone enclosure

Last edited by ethanolson; 16th April 2012 at 05:11 PM. Reason: I'm smarter now than when I first posted.

Hide this!Advertise here!