"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

Nearly Complete SE-SE Wire

Apart from bolting down everything within the case, my se-se Wire is up and running :)

Even just fed from the headphone out on my Acer W500 it sounds real good... Once hooked upto my main system I'm going to enjoy listening to this along side my Objective2. A bit preemptive but, I'm hoping for even more detail and a better soundstage from the Wire.

Thanks Owen and to everyone else involved. I'll post a few pics of the finished build tomorrow :)

Last edited:
So, how can I get in on this group buy?

<ducks for cover>

Seriously, though, I wish I hadn't spent time away from diyAudio recently as I would've been in on this beauty! Just came back looking for a headphone amp after a break of some months. Bugger!

Last edited:
Completed SE-SE Wire

All done :)

wire.jpg

wire2.jpg

wire3.jpg

and with my Objective 2...

headamps.jpg

Regards

Paul

The Wire does look a little lost in that huge generic e-bay headphone amp case, something more compact might have been a touch more appropriate. Though it does add a certain amount of physical presence that is befitting the Wire's sound. :)

The O2, well that is just a pile of plastic, glue and some paint thrown around the pcb...

The Wire does look a little lost in that huge generic e-bay headphone amp case, something more compact might have been a touch more appropriate. Though it does add a certain amount of physical presence that is befitting the Wire's sound. :)

The O2, well that is just a pile of plastic, glue and some paint thrown around the pcb...

I like the big case, keeps the tranny away, just always seems cleaner (and easier) than cramming everything in a small case.

And I second those vs O2 impressions, I like my O2 (haven't gotten the SE-SE boards to compare yet) but honestly there seems something with the upper mids with grados, at first I really liked the extra power over my classic SET but I don't know, surely psychological those those ceramics in the signal path have me wondering if it is the cause for some of the discomfort, but modding the O2 goes against the whole philosophy.

I wish I had a "wire" to play with, on paper it would seem more troublsome wrt picking up hf crud on the feedback loop which the O2 excels at not doing unless those "oveture" audio grade IC's have internal filtering?

For these stupid 600 ohm 200mW AKGs the O2 just doesn't have the power at all even with measured 7Vrms AC out. I was lucky enough to get on the list for the new LPUHP amp which looks like it can deliver a clean 10Vrms (so ~170mW into 600 ohms) obviously won't need all those buffers but hoping this will do the job otherwise I am giving up on playing with inexpensive low voltage IC's and spending the money to build an over-engineered discrete amp for these phones R.S. calls extinct:), EE's just know how to **** you off:p, but there are probably more AKG Sextettes sold than any other >$30 headphone in history, but R.S. is right they is extinct and a PIA:knight:.

regal, if you route your wiring well, the wire picks up bugger all, the SE-SE might be a bit worse in this regard, but ive found the bal-se to be 100% silent with jh13s, not such an easy task. the overkill decoupling and solid ground plane helps quite a bit in this regard

nice work BMS, comical, yet serious haha i know already which you like more, but of course any favourable personal preference can be disregarded unless proven with DBT =)

I have a free weekend coming up, apart from putting together a few Ikea flatpacks. I want to get better acquainted with the Wire before making any judgments against the O2.

Not sure I have a clear favourite just yet, the O2 was my first quality HPA and the Wire my first SMD build. Both have a little space in my heart :)

I'd love to do some DBT between the two, but just don't have the man power for such a thing at the moment... but I will try at some point :)

regal, if you route your wiring well, the wire picks up bugger all, the SE-SE might be a bit worse in this regard, but ive found the bal-se to be 100% silent with jh13s, not such an easy task. the overkill decoupling and solid ground plane helps quite a bit in this regard
Thanks I'm surprised you have found a DAC queit enough for those jh13' drivers, I don't know much about IEM's but I imagine they are a challenge right inside the ear canal.