"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

Thanks CafeNoir and qusp. Those instructions are very helpful. I've also been hoping to play with the LT1963A and 1764 but frankly have been holding off due to my concerns about soldering them. BTW, any possibility those layouts -or better yet the PCBs-could be made available? Could be very handy. (and my bench is probably in worse disarray than yours).

Thanks again to both of you.

Terry

no problem Terry, to elaborate, make sure to add flux to the whole pad underneath the part. the regulator, unlike the wire has large vias punched through the pad to allow soldering from underneath as well. once they are stuck down, only an oven is going to get them off, so make sure placement is good and i would probably recommend soldering at least 2 of the pins before moving on the large tab.

not my layout to give i'm afraid, i collaborated with Tom (Natonrice) to get something useful to both of us that fulfilled each of our parts fetiches and we went halves in the cost, but the layout is his. having already given a couple away, i'd rather keep what i have left (~13 regs) for myself; sorry the latest run of builds are very densely populated, thus the need for such a handy compact, high performance reg in the first place

Wolfsin feelzSlightly more relaxed now about allowing others to glimpse his lousy soldering :) A messy desk is a sign of an orderly mind!

@ilardi -- pls post pix of yours so we can all feel better.

hey!! workshop = chaos, soldering is generally fastidious. at least there is only parts from 2 broad ranging projects on there at the moment. it gets cleared off for any substantial build, but small ones tend to accumulate.

but yes i'm all for someone else showing their mess to make me feel better

With copper foil having 0.000498 ohms/square
for 1-ounce/foot^2 foil, a substantial current
that chooses to use the headphone amp as a
path could degrade the signal quality.

1 amp from some stepper motor would induce
498 microVolts into any square of copper the
current flows thru, and such particles will use
all possible paths, proportional to conductance.

Two vias of diameter 0.06" (round), separated by
0.06" spacing will have ~ 1 square of foil resistance between
them. If those vias are the two ends of the 1amp
current, the vias would be 498 uV apart.
Thus Ground indeed is Just a Cruel Joke.

human techno babble/performance art/spam?

lucky we are using 2oz copper and no stepper motors with the boards characterised with lower noise than an AP2 can measure hey?

Last edited:
This is actually kind of neat.

Terry

Attachments

• IMG_0065.jpg
    IMG_0065.jpg
    878.8 KB · Views: 480
yeah thats not bad. i need to get some of those large parts organisers you have there rather than the portable type i'm using combined with stuffing things in cupboards, i'm building some simple dowel racks for the kilometres of wire that should free up quite a bit of space. first of all though, is dedicating the next few months to finishing off current projects including casework, before taking on any more.....

Um, pardon?

And your point is exactly? I must be missing something.

methinks if there ius any sense to be taken from it at all, perhaps he takes us for people who dont realise ground is simply a concept we use to measure the signal flow against. a flawed concept? perhaps, but it mostly fulfils its purpose provided you remember its simply the same current that flows through the rest of the circuit and comes with all of the same rules. i notice he/it didnt proffer an alternative :rolleyes: or choose a source of ripple that actually had some relation to the project at hand. a 1A stepper motor? yeah real relevant....

Last edited:
Managed to create some free time to put together my SE-SEversion of The Wire... this is my very first smd build and only my third build total, so please forgive my crappy soldering :( The diodes and heatsink pins were a pain in the bum, but I got there in the end :)

the_wire.jpg
the_wire_2.jpg

I have the case & cabling ready to go, but have yet to order the triodal, volume pot and a few other little bits...

C&C's very welome...

Last edited:
Um, pardon?

When 'it' landed, before anyone responded, I felt like a great ape in 2001 glimpsing the monolith. I started to respond but no opening line could ever have equaled that repeated in the title of this post. This thread has given me so many things but that was my first ROTFLMAO!

@BuildMeSomething -- you can solder for me anyday. Good work.

I'm a newbie to "diyaudio". As people mentioned (undesired)currents flowing
through the audio system, some past experience and computations,
and good results, came to mind. So I wrote to share.

Various engineering managers stated "electrons take the shortest path".
Yet electrons take all possible paths, proportional to conductance,
and that means (for acceptable fidelity) that all interferrers and all paths
should be considered.

A 1amp speaker current, with 1mA taking a sneak path through the PCB, will
generate 1mA * 0.0005 ohm = 0.5uV. If in a preamp, well, you folks know the issues.

And any "square" of standard copper foil, of any size, has that 0.0005 ohm
resistance. Thus we can sketch out sneak paths, examine the various parallel
conductances, and compute (granted approximately) the interferrence.

Being able to think about PCBs as non-zero resistances, as grids of resistors,
helped me to some sucessful low-trash 22-bit ADC + microprocessor circuits.

Now, back to reading hundreds of legacy posts on diyAudio. Its a candy store.

haha wow i didnt expect a reappearance, my apologies too; given it seemed to be one of, if not THE first post from your username given the join date and tbh i just failed to see any specific relevance or helpfulness given at this stage, long ago the board and these aspects have already been tested and ruled out on an audio precision system; if they were a concern, the layout has removed the concern to well beyond what is needed for a headphone amp.

it just read to me as some sort of human driven, troll-like targeted though somehow obtuse spam or internet performance art. if the comments were aimed at the pcb hacking going on, then sorry i dont think wolfsin cares about the difference in reference/ground voltage, given the drop caused by current pulses across the ground plain. its a hack, totally for fun.

i dont think wolfsin cares about the difference in reference/ground voltage, given the drop caused by current pulses across the ground plain. its a hack, totally for fun.

Amen. I try to be as silly and carefree as a typical software geek, by contrast to the total seriousness of those around me.

My admiration is nearly unlimited for practioners of the black art of analog.

opc

Joined 2004
Paid Member
In case anyone is interested, I just posted the last project for at least the next year here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...ce-lpuhp-16w-power-amplifier.html#post2852709

If you don't need much power, but want the absolute best in terms of performance, it would be hard to do any better than this.

After these kits ship out, things will likely go quiet for the next year while I work on something a little more involved. In the meantime though, this really is something special to tide you over!

Cheers,
Owen

sigh.....

what kits are you talking about specifically? if the ones in this thread, you could refer to the answer opc made to this very question 2 pages ago and then another 10 pages before that and.....

mostly they are not available anymore, but there are still some Bal-Se pcbs, no kits for anything, you will need to source your own parts and only for the bal-se version

guys put it to a vote, should i pre-emptively post at the beginning of every page, that there are only Bal-Se pcbs available and all else is sold, so it is clear and nobody has to read any of the thread apart from the page they are on? funnily enough that would be LESS work for us/me than the current situation of explaining every 2 pages

Last edited:
hi chaps,

well that's me feeling an inch tall, sorry i asked!!

i had in mind either the:

The Wire - Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier

or

The Wire - Low Power Ultra High Perfromance (LPUHP) 16W Power Amplifier

ideally the headphone amp as this is of particular interest.

if there are pcb's for either left could someone let me know how, when, where and how much?

cheers

rup

@rup And to think I had to build stone walls to get shorter :-( There is no clear path into this except initiation by fire so don't take it too seriously. OPC is hyper productive, qusp tries to shield him from being distracted, the resulting product is priced much too low so demand exceeds supply, and none of us laughs enuff!

Welcome aboard (a pcBoard, that iz)