"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's - Page 63 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Headphone Systems

Headphone Systems Everything to do with Headphones

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th September 2011, 02:16 AM   #621
Wolfsin is offline Wolfsin  United States
diyAudio Member

I would like a bal-bal w/o psu

thanks, Dick
Old 17th September 2011, 11:43 AM   #622
diyAudio Member

Some pictures of my amp.

Thanks,

D.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEC_0009.jpg (154.1 KB, 1045 views)
File Type: jpg NEC_0010.jpg (110.8 KB, 1019 views)
File Type: jpg NEC_0013.jpg (103.2 KB, 1001 views)
Old 17th September 2011, 11:51 AM   #623
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1975 View Post
Some pictures of my amp.

Thanks,

D.
man, that looks great!

i hope owen will see this and eventually get excited again to finish up his second version that he has abandoned for some time at the moment

but how do you use the headphone out if you didn't install a volume control? you have digitally controlled volume in the DAC section?

Last edited by idjoel2000; 17th September 2011 at 11:53 AM.
Old 17th September 2011, 01:17 PM   #624
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by idjoel2000 View Post
man, that looks great!

but how do you use the headphone out if you didn't install a volume control? you have digitally controlled volume in the DAC section?
Yes, at the moment I mostly use it as balanced to SE converter. The arc on the back are output.

D.
Old 18th September 2011, 12:18 AM   #625
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikon1975 View Post
Some pictures of my amp.

Thanks,

D.
Very nice and neat build. May I ask where you got the chassis?
Old 18th September 2011, 11:31 PM   #626
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by digger945 View Post
Very nice and neat build. May I ask where you got the chassis?
I'd love to know as well!
Old 19th September 2011, 12:50 AM   #627
diyAudio Member

They sell these chassis, in various size in the local shops in Akihabara in Tokyo. The side panels are actually heatsinks, but they don't dissipate much. The nice thing is that they come in flat box, so it's very easy to work with the single panels compare to inside a box.

Unfortunatly, I could not find a solution to fully use both the onboard connectors of the board, and I did not want to have separate psu, otherwise the amp itself would be easily drag down by the weight of the cables.

Anyway, I strongly advice everybody to use the on board input connectors, as, as you can read in this thread, I was picking some oscillation with bad wiring. Like this, not a problem.

D.

D.

Last edited by Nikon1975; 19th September 2011 at 12:51 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 20th September 2011, 01:45 AM   #628
opc is offline opc  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi Guys,

Well, the time has finally come! All the boards are complete in terms of layout, and I've got all the pricing sorted out for each kit.

I've also tested each incarnation on the bench (by modifying the existing version of The Wire) and each one performs extremely well. I'll post actual measurements in the next few days for those interested.

I'm also proud to announce that there's a new addition to "The Wire" series in the form of a power amplifier based on the LME49830 and a pair of lateral mosfets. It's scalable from 10W to 400W and runs in class A or Class AB. Performance, as you would expect, is extremely good. I'll be posting up a new thread for it shortly with all the details and measurements.

So, now for the details:

Pricing:

All boards are going to be $12 each plus shipping. This keeps things simple and is a very good price for top quality 3 layer boards. So it doesn't matter if you're buying a BAL-BAL, SE-SE, BAL-SE or PSU, they're all $12.

For the kits, I'll be using the same method I did last time which is basically pricing based on single unit DK prices. This saves everyone the trouble of buying the parts separately, paying shipping etc. Unless you already have the bulk of the active parts, I can assure you the kits are going to be cheaper than trying to order the parts yourself, even if you think you can get a better price buying the odd part somewhere else. The difference from last time is that every single part is included with these kits. You won't have to buy anything at all to properly assemble the kit. Everything is included.

The kits break down as follows:

SE-SE Stereo Kit including PCB and all parts: $68
BAL-SE Stereo Kit including PCB and all parts: $103
BAL-BAL Stereo Kit including PCB and all parts: $105
PSU including PCB and all parts: $39

All prices are in CAD dollars

So, anyone is free to buy whatever combination of items they wish. the only exception is that there will be no substitutions for kits. Kits prices include all parts, and I will not make custom kits for those with existing parts they would like to use. You can buy any combination of board and kit, or just boards or just kits, it's up to you.

I've attached all the pricing broken down part by part for each type of headphone amp.

I've also attached the old list of people who were interested. I understand that it has been a while, and so if you want off the list, that's absolutely not a problem, just let me know. If your name is on the list, please confirm that you are still interested.

I would like to see final numbers by the end of this week so I can order boards early next week.

I plan to ship out kits on a first come first served basis starting 3 weeks from now, so the second week of October.

More details to follow!

Regards,
Owen
Old 20th September 2011, 02:43 AM   #629
agdr is offline agdr  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm still in for the 2 SE-SE PCB! I think I changed that to 1 at some point in the thread but now I'm back to 2. No BAL-SE board.

The power amp 49830 sounds great. I'll be eagerly awaiting that thread.
Old 20th September 2011, 02:52 AM   #630
jdkJake is offline jdkJake  United States
diyAudio Member

I am still in for a SE-SE kit and a PSU kit.

Thanks Owen.

Hide this!Advertise here!