"The Wire" Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier - PCB's

hi chaps,

well that's me feeling an inch tall, sorry i asked!!

i had in mind either the:

The Wire - Ultra-High Performance Headphone Amplifier

or

The Wire - Low Power Ultra High Perfromance (LPUHP) 16W Power Amplifier

ideally the headphone amp as this is of particular interest.

if there are pcb's for either left could someone let me know how, when, where and how much?

cheers

rup

Hey rup, sorry man, its just we get someone coming in asking the exact same question every other day, so its answered numerous times if you care to look briefly first before asking. its a common thing across the forum and i guess i just dont understand it so it frustrates me, myself i tend to read the beginning, as much of the thread or at least the last few pages and a quick search before posing a common question like that.

also, i answered your question already before my rant, only the Balanced input-SE output PCB only is left of the headamps, no kits left. the new one its looking like only pcbs will be available from the start and tbh i hope thats the case, because if people push kits; Owen being the type of guy he is will do it, but tbh i think he deserves a break now given the work hes put in for the community this year. youde have to have some pretty specific needs to build the new amp as a headphone amp, the thing puts out nearly 20W and it wont be cheap, needs a balanced source and for 2 channels youre looking at nearly 500usd before chassis, connectors etc. while its a compact speaker amp, its not a compact headphone amp.

in the other thread you mentioned for example, the thread was only 2 pages old with the availability and price mentioned clearly in the first post, before someone asked whether pcbs or kits were available and how much on the second page....

adgr said:
Apparently opc could create an index into some of the more salient posts in the thread, post it, and the mods would then be willing to make a link back to the first post. An index would probably help folks new to the thread find stuff fast(er). The O2 thread could use an index too!

call me a cynic, but although that would be cool, thats a lot of work at this stage by itself and tbh given what ive seen of humanity and forum life, we would still get someone every day or 2 asking the same questions without reading. people might skim the first page and the last page before asking these questions normally and that seems to be too generous in many cases.

many just dont think about it and gather thats just what you do, but some are just lazy and would rather someone else take the time to answer several questions than spend the time to find out themselves. in the time asked of someone to answer a request like that, a simple search of the thread would reveal the answer, i guess the inference i take from some of these requests is that their time is more valuable. not aiming that at you rup, you seem like the former example.

Last edited:
Wolfsin and qusp: good points about getting people to even read that first post! :) At least if there were a current index somewhere noobies could just be directed to that first. I see a lot of specific troubleshooting questions popping up again and again over on the O2 thread, like related to the gain switch needing the leg cut off. If there was an index it might be easier for folks to scan through and see if anything matches there issue. Just a thought! :)

For everyone's benefit it might be worth mentioning these two pages as a good source of truth:

- GB wiki. This is slightly out of date on board counts I believe but got some good background info for those new to the project.
- Build wiki The greatest font of knowledge if you are lucky enough to get to build your chosen variant of The Wire

As already noted, getting people to these pages is the main part of the challenge.

awesome!! that should mean i'll have mine tomorrow with any luck. yeah mine are last gen, the new ones he moved part of the input stage to the underside and its slightly narrower. the 2nd gen removed the onboard XLR connector positions so freed up some space.

so we can maybe put your bal-se up against my bal-bal when you come visit next. i'm so keen to get this hooked up to the portable sabre so i can finalise the CNC chassis and draw a line under the project

haha Wolfsin; qusp for CEO, i only just saw that

Last edited:
sigh...... :D

hehe, yeah well if you look at the times on our posts, i was compiling my longish post while you posted that, wasnt there when i replied.

so i guess its time to start a new build thread? who wants to draft up a first post? given the thrtead will span a number of different boards there should be some posting guidelines. for example making sure to mention which board you are building so the thread isnt filled with posts asking which board

Last edited:
Very much the CEO

so i guess its time to start a new build thread? who wants to draft up a first post? given the thread will span a number of different boards there should be some posting guidelines. for example making sure to mention which board you are building so the thread isnt filled with posts asking which board

Where will the frankenwire section be located, sir?

The Wire build question

I was just about to ask a build related question and here you all are talking about starting a build specific thread for The Wire(s)...

Though I'd love to make the inaugural questioning post of said thread, it is rather basic (and quite shamefully shows my lack of knowledge in the fundamentals of electonics etc.)

So I'll ask it here in a hope that it will be answered, and that we can all move on to better things once everyone has stopped laughing :)

Question; on the psu board, which way round do you connect the secondery wiring (being Vsec & 0V) from the triodal transformer? See pic with AC inputs labled 1-4 for easy identification by me...

wired_wire.jpg

BTW... I did try looking at the pic's of posted builds so far, but the wiring to the psu is mostly obscured or done using the same coloured wire and hard to follow :(

Thanks

Paul.

it doesnt really matter, as long as both are the same. look at the diagram on your particular transformer and follow that. AC does not have a polarity so to speak, so as long as you wire up both secondaries the same i.e. 0-V 0-V or V-0 V-0 you'll be fine. i would go V-0-V-0, provided the left reg is the positive reg, if the left is the neg reg, i would go 0-V-0-V

Last edited:
SE-BRGD

Wolfsin has decided to (re)move the last vestiges of relevance from his commentary to blog format. Those interested in rework issues are a minority and since qusp wants to file them (along with yours truly) under mutants, Wolfsin took the DIY approach.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/wolfsin/807-mutants.html

You can continue to look forward to the same (irrelevant, irreverant, foolish) comments but now they will be totally content free. :D

You can continue to look forward to the same (irrelevant, irreverant, foolish) comments but now they will be totally content free. :D

The link ... it does not work :(

I've not used diyaudio blogs before but I wonder if perhaps there is a draft status where the link is only operational for the owner and a publish status where the rest of us get to enjoy vicariously!