• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Scalable PSU/regulator GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Resistors or trimpot?

I can't decide so I hope to spur some discussion.

Resistors I can match, even if I don't have "exactly" +/- 15V, I think it is more important for the circuit downstream to recieve the same absolute voltage referenced to ground. Is this correct?

A trimpot allows the adjustment to a desired voltage amount, and matching the absolute values of + to -.

What chance is there for drift over time with the trimpots or resistors?

Edit: clarification ( I hope )

It's easier to design in LM431 and then use a LM329 than the other way around.

The picture shows how it looks like when you have a LM329 in a LM431 footprint.

Attachments

• jsr03r0_lm329.jpg
    jsr03r0_lm329.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 946
Ed Lafontaine said:
Resistors or trimpot?

I can't decide so I hope to spur some discussion.

Resistors I can match, even if I don't have "exactly" +/- 15V, I think it is more important for the circuit downstream to recieve the same absolute voltage referenced to ground. Is this correct?

A trimpot allows the adjustment to a desired voltage amount, and matching the absolute values of + to -.

What chance is there for drift over time with the trimpots or resistors?

Edit: clarification ( I hope )
See it in this way: The main purpose of this PSU is to feed opamp based filters. Because of that it's not particular important to have exact voltages. +14.85 and - 15.07 V is perfectly OK. If you use LM431 or similar you get an output voltage within 1-3% max. If you have to choose between a fixed resistor and a potentiometer you'll take the fixed resistor but if there is space for both alternatives there is no problems with that.

There has been a slight change to the BOM that does not affect kit price. To avoid confusion, I will post the final BOM, but nothing in the interim. Especially since Jens appears to be ready to change our voltage reference

One capacitor change makes it easier to use a Wima FKP2. the rst of the cap brands and types are unchanged. Any comments on the proposed basic BOM? Think about important stuff like do we want blue LEDs or something else in the kits? ;)

We will do a short run of prototypes which Jens will test before we go into production. This cost will be absorbed in the board price. We would rather be safe and have a tested board, especially if this buy grows like the filter board did.

EDIT: I noticed that I did not include screw terminals in the BOM. Digikey 281-1414-ND adds $2 to the kit price, so it is $18 without trim pots.

just a suggestion -- you could place a pair of vias between the leads of the caps across the diodes -- this would allow the "constructor" to use an RC snubber (whose value is determined from the transformer leakage inductance) instead of just the 100nF cap across the diode as illustrated in the schematic. Make sure that the drill diameter is wide enough to accomodate the component lead.

Attachments

• xo_pwr_snub.gif
    xo_pwr_snub.gif
    4.5 KB · Views: 868
Prototypes have been ordered. Jens should have them to test by the end of next week.

Once I get the filter boards shipped and Jens says the boards are good to go, I'll start collecting money.

It sounds like there is little interest in including trim pots in the kit. As noted earlier, for most applications having exactly 15V or exactly the same voltage on both rails is probably not required. Unless I get a lot of interest, the parts kit will NOT include pots.

Just for reference, I ordered enough parts to build a prototype, and the total was $34, plus shipping from digkey and mouser. I didn't expect much savings from a group buy, but it turns out you save a few bucks. :cool:

Yes, I met Digikey's minimum order so that $5 isn't a factor. ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.