• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Virtins MI Pro for RTX6001 autoranging/autoscaling & for soundcard end users

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Multi-Display Support --- One Instance vs Multiple Instances

I saw for the oscilloscope or spectrum analyser for example, does not move to another display, if you use two displays on your computer with extended mode.
But, some others like signal generator, device under plan can to move to the second display.
I think that it is important to have the spectrum analyser to the second display and the rest to the other or similar combination to extended displays mode.

Is that something that can be corrected to the next version?

Thank you for your comments.

We had actually received opposite opinions on this topic from some of our customers in the past. As a result, we improved the [Window]>[Tilt Horizontally], [Tile Vertically] and [Cascade] functions, which, once executed, would relocate all currently opened windows and put them all inside the main window automatically. Another window automatic layout option was provided at [Setting]>[Display]>[Auto Layout When Loading a Panel Setting File]. All windows can be moved together by dragging the title bar of the main window.

For a PC with multiple displays, one can drag the sides of the main window such that it occupies multiple displays and then execute [Window]>[Tile Horizontally] or adjust each window size and location manually. In this way, the oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer windows can occupies their own displays separately.

It is also possible to launch multiple instances of Multi-Instrument, with each instance points to different or even the same ADC/DAC devices. If the same ADC/DAC devices are used in multiple instances of the software, the devices and its driver must support that operation, e.g. Sound Card MME driver. From the second instance onwards, [1], [2], [3]... will be shown in the title bar of the main window to differentiate them.

Last edited:
Trial without a dedicated hardware

I am wondering whether I can access the features to get familiar with the interface without hooking up a sound card. Is this possible?

Thank you for your question.

Since almost every computer has a built-in sound card, you can use it for the said purpose. You can switch to the Sound Card MME default setting via [Setting]>[Restore to Factory Default]>"Sound Card MME". In this way, you do not need a dedicated hardware in order to try out the software function. Admittedly it still uses a sound card. :)

Unfortunately it's just outdated / lazy software practices. You can elevate to full admin rights and install in the proper location.

More info: MI Pro is 32 bits too (reported by task manager) rather than 64, so Program Files (x86). :( Part of me wants to start a "gofundme" for Virtins to maybe hire a contract Windows programmer to polish up the Windows OS related stuff (I would donate to to that, seriously, if someone or Virtins does start one, I know quality programming time isn't cheap). Such a great piece of measurement software, in general, but apparently has spent most of its life so far on Linux or Mac.

Last edited:
Prioritized to-do list: 32-bit program vs 64-bit program

Mac is not supported natively by MI.

MI is currently a 32-bit program. A 32-bit program can run on both 32-bit and 64-bit Windows, but a 64-bit program cannot run on a 32-bit Windows. There is still a non-negligible portion of computers in the world running on 32-bit Windows. Even Windows 10 has its 32-bit version. One reason that some people still use 32-bit Windows is probably that they have some pieces of legacy hardware to interface with which do not work under 64-bit Windows (e.g. no 64-bit driver available, etc.).

Upgrading MI from a 32-bit program to a 64-bit program and targeting at only 64-bit Windows is something we will do in the future. We have a long prioritized to-do list :). Function expansion and improvement is currently given priority.

Last edited:
Thank you for your comments.

We had actually received opposite opinions on this topic from some of our customers in the past. As a result, we improved the [Window]>[Tilt Horizontally], [Tile Vertically] and [Cascade] functions, which, once executed, would relocate all currently opened windows and put them all inside the main window automatically. Another window automatic layout option was provided at [Setting]>[Display]>[Auto Layout When Loading a Panel Setting File]. All windows can be moved together by dragging the title bar of the main window.

For a PC with multiple displays, one can drag the sides of the main window such that it occupies multiple displays and then execute [Window]>[Tile Horizontally] or adjust each window size and location manually. In this way, the oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer windows can occupies their own displays separately.

It is also possible to launch multiple instances of Multi-Instrument, with each instance points to different or even the same ADC/DAC devices. If the same ADC/DAC devices are used in multiple instances of the software, the devices and its driver must support that operation, e.g. Sound Card MME driver. From the second instance onwards, [1], [2], [3]... will be shown in the title bar of the main window to differentiate them.

Dear Virtins, thank you for the answer.

From what I saw the : Device Test Plan, Data Logger, DDP Viewer, can be moved to the extended display.

The Multimeter, Spectrum 3D plot, Oscilloscope & Spectrum Analyzer can't be moved to the extended display. They can be moved only to the main display.

This situation happens on Win'10 when there are two displays on the PC and the setup is Multiple displays as extended displays.
I haven't seen same behavior to my other software, ease can you move any software or tab to other display.

Child windows vs Non-Child windows of the main window

Dear lemon,

Your observation is consistent with the current design. Oscilloscope, Spectrum Analyzer, Spectrum 3D Plot and Multimeter are child windows of the main window. Thus, they cannot be moved out of the main window. These windows have their own menubars and view parameter toolbars (at the bottom of the screen) in the main window, which will be shown when the respective window gets the focus. Each type of window can be opened once only. So normally they should not clutter the screen on one monitor. Moving them out of the main window (if allowed) will make them far away from their respective menu bars and view parameter toolbars as per current design.

On the other hand, Data Logger, DDP Viewer, DDP Array Viewer, Device Test Plan and Signal Generator are not child windows of the main window. Maximum 8 Data Loggers can be opened and each of them can trace up to 8 Derived Data Points (DDPs). Maximum 16 DDP Viewers can be opened. The rest types of windows can be opened once only. These windows do not have their own menu bars and view parameter toolbars in the main window and thus are allowed to be moved out of the main window to de-clutter the screen under some situations.

Another question for Virtins.

Let's say I want to use a passive notch filter and my RTX. Is there a way in MI Pro to measure the notch filter alone, create an inverse software filter of the notch, and then apply that filter to measurements when the passive notch and DUT are in series? My aim would be to see THD and THD+N with the fundamental removed.

PS: my USB dongle is still somewhere in the mail...hopefully it will turn up soon...AusPost is really dragging their feet on this parcel

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
That seems pointless as the purpose of notching generally is to extend the measurement dynamic range for certain types of very very low level [thd / thd+n / etc] distortion measurements. (MPX circuit residuals would be one place you could use a notch to remove 19kHz from thd/thd+n measurements outside of what I am generally thinking of) You don't use a notch filter during frequency response measurements or for notching out hum or the like.

Edit: I should have asked for more detail as to what sort of notching filters you are using. Twin T fixed filters or something altogether different. The only reason I think for correcting the response would be if the Q were comparatively low and some of the spectra was in the skirt region. (Usually a better notch filter would fix that)

The RTX has lots of available dynamic range so I cannot think of any circumstance where you'd need a notch filter except for certain communication standards or very low level distortions.

Others will know far more about this than I do and may have a rather different take on the matter.

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I use a notch filter with the RTX to look at ultra-low distortion oscillators. Applying a correction file that would match the insertion loss of a passive twin tee would make accurate distortion measurements easier. I would manually remove around the deep part of the notch. Maybe it could be done like a microphone correction file. Not that I can find where to use a microphone correction file yet.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I was just in playing with MI and did see a place for a correction file. Under the settings tab.

You don't need to filter out the 19 and 38 KHz frequencies as they are not harmonically rated If you're doing THD + noise, just limit the passband to 18 KHz or something like that. I have used both the RTX and spectrum analysers to set the 19 and 38 KHz traps in MPX boards.

-Chris

Edit: I should have asked for more detail as to what sort of notching filters you are using. Twin T fixed filters or something altogether different. The only reason I think for correcting the response would be if the Q were comparatively low and some of the spectra was in the skirt region. (Usually a better notch filter would fix that)

The particular notch filter is one from a recent GB. Here are the notes from its designer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.