• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

CRC Power Supply (Class A amplifier)

Thank you project16,
Yes, it is indeed fun, and it is toward helping helping fellow diyers.
Since I could get very low price for the overwhelming demand (because of very nice design from you), I have made a long term agreement with local pcb supplier with intermittant orders. This is the 6th order.

So I am able to supply 2.4mm thick, 70um copper pcb at such low price, even beating Chinese houses.

Cheers. And a very big Thank you. Making group buy has given me lot of experience and Interacting with different nice people.

Though I had some trouble with few, after makIng investment and not receiving response , I was worried.

But many nice people offered support for this.
Thank you all.

One question regarding the TO220 radiators, these are very close to the copper traces, what is preventing these from shorting? I know that there is that layer of coating that isolates but it can scratch off, did any of you placed any isolators between the board and the heatsink (radiator)?
Thanks.

One question regarding the TO220 radiators, these are very close to the copper traces, what is preventing these from shorting? I know that there is that layer of coating that isolates but it can scratch off, did any of you placed any isolators between the board and the heatsink (radiator)?
Thanks.
two layers of Kapton tape between the PCB traces and the heatsink/s
The heatsink will work better, if there is no isolator between semiconductor and heatsink.
Just use a good Thermal paste.
Strips of kapton on pcb where heatsink fins rest would also be a way.

two layers of Kapton tape between the PCB traces and the heatsink/s
The heatsink will work better, if there is no isolator between semiconductor and heatsink.
Just use a good Thermal paste.

Andrew and to others,

please see attached layout of this PCB.
Isolaters are must, otherwise there will be short, as 2 diodes are mounted on the same heatsink.

Outtek,
Please be careful, already manniraj has experienced sparks because he did not use isolator (plastic to-220 bush and sil pad between diode and heatsink).

regards
Prasi

Attachments

• scrn shot.JPG
    scrn shot.JPG
    458.5 KB · Views: 450
That is true Prasi, but the heatsink as you can see is crossing between two AC lines, potentially shorting them, that's why I was asking about any insulator in between the PCB surface and heatsink, it can be very problematic if one manages to make a good connection from AC 1 lines, I was under the impression that there are some fancy insulators that we can buy and install nicely under the heatsinks. Thanks.

Agree with Project16 completely,
Like I said in my original post, 0
1. option 1. raise the heatsink by 1-2mm if it has solder pins.
2. option 2. use kapton tape between heatsink and PCB, if you want to rest heatsink on PCB.

3. not option but compulsion: use to-220 isolators between heatsink and diodes (if using metal tabbed diodes), unless you are using plastic isolated package already like TO−220 FULLPAK
CASE 221AG (https://www.onsemi.com/pub/Collateral/MUR1520-D.PDF) . see the second image, its all plastic.

sorry if posts hasnt made it clear to you, I am lame with english.

If you want high quality custom solution, there is one available

take a nice piece of automotive gasketing sheet. ask for automotive gasketing sheet, if there is a automotive workshop near you, its damn cheap.

Roughly Cut it as per the heatsink, Puncher holes where ever necessary, solder the PCB and be worry free.

Afterall, its DIY.

We need very good insulation that can withstand high temperature (may be 100 deg. C) . Any insulating material, that can withstand high temperature should be ok here.

Thats why I orginally suggested kapton tape. make as many layer as you want to feel safe for long term operation. You could even place something like this between heatsink and PCB.

Silicone Insulator - Sheet