• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
BBB -> S03 -> DDDAC

Whooohoooo! I have my S03 up and running with my very own diy adaptors. Hopefully the adaptors from Acko shall made it here before Chirstmas?!?
Right now I still have one more tweak with the SuperRegulators SSR-03 from Per-Anders but so far Me like very much!!! ;) @Acko- can S03 accept negative voltage together with positive voltage at various voltage inputs?

S03 has added the extreme purity to the sound, everything sounding so refined, and obviously dead quieted dark background. From here, if I may say my digital frontend is nothing but completed! Well, unless R2R is coming out soon. ;)

Thanks Acko for this beautiful piece of work, S03 that is! ;)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

sorry for a litle of topic, I've been interested in the DDDAC, but have always been thinking that the i2s lines seems very long - especially with many stacked boards.
Isn't there any other alternative for dual-mono PCM1794 design with u.fl inputs and shorter i2s paths?

No ufl connectors but the RAKK DAC Mk4 is a dual mono PCM1794 implementation. Details down the page here;

K & K Audio - Lundahl Transformers, audio DIY kits and more

Ray

sorry for a litle of topic, I've been interested in the DDDAC, but have always been thinking that the i2s lines seems very long - especially with many stacked boards.
Isn't there any other alternative for dual-mono PCM1794 design with u.fl inputs and shorter i2s paths?
You can make them sound very good indeed with only 1 dac deck ;)

Nautibuoy: Yes, i know about RAKK dac - and i've heard good things about them - but at the same time i think they are waaaay overpriced - if price was half, then i would consider them maybe. I actually use my own made pcb with same circuit as their line stage, which i like alot :)

Yes, expensive, but very good - I owned a Mk3 for several years.

I don't think they're overpriced either, they are commercial products and these guys have to make a living from selling small quantities. The economics are very different to DIY projects.

Ray

You can make them sound very good indeed with only 1 dac deck ;)

Of course - but if you check the i2s lines compaired to say Acko ES9018 dac, or Buffalo III-dac. Then you understand that they are far from optimal.
Then you don't have as high frequency to this dac as ES9018 (22/24MHz is enough for 384KHz i think). But anyway.
Of course i still think the DDDAC sounds good - but it would be fun to se a more optimal layout with u.fl input.

I don't think they're overpriced either, they are commercial products and these guys have to make a living from selling small quantities. The economics are very different to DIY projects.

Of course - and i never said it was wrong taking money for what you have put time into, but it's too much money for making me consider it. I would rather do two other projects than paying for one such expensive pcb.

Would be fun to see a more high quality layout with 2 or 4 PCM1794-chips and compact design from TP or Acko.
Anyway, this is enough offtopic.

Joined 2003
Paid Member

I was wondering about that too... possibly build both up and down from the source board, 2-4 up and 2-4 down would keep the lines reasonably short. I must admit I'm not familiar with that design and don't know what buffering and line driving is done on the source board.

No ufl connectors but the RAKK DAC Mk4 is a dual mono PCM1794 implementation. Details...

Ray

I've watched that design for some time and been very impressed with it, almost buying various used ones as they came up for sale (but always sanity reigned).

But based on what I know today, their mandatory use of the onboard chip ASRC would be a limiting factor for me.

Still, impressive kit!

Greg in Mississippi

Last edited:
Hi acko,
I have also plan to use SSR 03 to so3 .
Same question as Chanh ,
Can we use ?

Cheers
Hi Acko,
Any idea if this is possible? Wish not damaged this musical S03 board.
I had looked at the schematic, and realised the negative voltage was simply a reverse retifiers diodes to the positive one. From there on everything is opposite to the positive including the smooth caps bank. As it seems the negative ground is sharing the same plane as the positve of a negative voltage rail, if I made any sense here? The negative of the negative rail is completely isolated. Sum up, negative of positive voltage is the identical plane as positive of negative voltage rail. Based on this infor, can we do a reverse polarity of the negative voltage to supply S03 while also having positive voltage hook up?

Appreciate your response!
Chanh

Hi Acko,
Any idea if this is possible? Wish not damaged this musical S03 board.
I had looked at the schematic, and realised the negative voltage was simply a reverse retifiers diodes to the positive one. From there on everything is opposite to the positive including the smooth caps bank. As it seems the negative ground is sharing the same plane as the positve of a negative voltage rail, if I made any sense here? The negative of the negative rail is completely isolated. Sum up, negative of positive voltage is the identical plane as positive of negative voltage rail. Based on this infor, can we do a reverse polarity of the negative voltage to supply S03 while also having positive voltage hook up?

Appreciate your response!
Chanh

Guys, you cannot use negative supplies (as a second separate supply for S03) unless it is totally floating and isolated. Will damage the S03 !!!

As far as I can see the SSR03 is a bipolar supply with common gnd and not dual floating type. You will have to get another SSR03 to get dual positive supplies of this type.

If you are experimenting with external power supplies consider the following:
1. There may be of little benefit using premium supplies for the digital side as the on-board LDO performance is quite sufficient.

2. Clock power (J1-5V Input) will benefit from high PSSR supplies.

3. You may try external 3.3V clock power direct on J2. But don't forget to remove links K1 and K2 first before connecting external supplies on J2

So I would suggest using premium supplies for clock and regular ones for the digital side.

Nautibuoy: Yes, i know about RAKK dac - and i've heard good things about them - but at the same time i think they are waaaay overpriced - if price was half, then i would consider them maybe. I actually use my own made pcb with same circuit as their line stage, which i like alot :)

Another possibility might be two Twisted Pear COD boards, each configured for mono?

Ray

Another possibility might be two Twisted Pear COD boards, each configured for mono?

Ray

Yes, i have been looking at those also - but no u.fl, and i would perfer one single board with all chips - for simplicity.
I'm planning on building a headphone amplifier, with tube parafeed output stage, that i'm going to use this for.
Since PCM1794 is less picky about i/v stage input impedance then ES9018 it would probably be perferable. Plus it would be fun to try the PCM1794 in a good setup with short i2s paths, and reclocked signal.

Hi Acko,

That's great! How much current does the 100mhz clock draw? ( I assume the current draw in the documentation is including the regulator?)

Regards,

Current consumption for the clock side (osc + reg + drive) is indicated as 30mA for 100M clock based on NDK parts. If you are using Crystek CCHD950-100M then this will be higher at ~40-60mA based on information from datasheet

Guys, you cannot use negative supplies (as a second separate supply for S03) unless it is totally floating and isolated. Will damage the S03 !!!
So I would suggest using premium supplies for clock and regular ones for the digital side.
Many thanks Acko!
I have 2 SSR03 here so I will use a positve voltage on each supply to power the clock and two digital +5VDC inputs. May be the negative -5VDC can be reverse polarity to supply BBB?

Cheers.

Hopefully the adaptors from Acko shall made it here before Chirstmas?!?

Your adapter boards are on their way (again)!

Attachments

• BBB-UFL I2S.png
    BBB-UFL I2S.png
    552.1 KB · Views: 305
  • DDDAC-UFL.png
    DDDAC-UFL.png
    18.4 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
:checked:I have 2 SSR03 here so I will use a positve voltage on each supply to power the clock and two digital +5VDC inputs. :checked:

:forbiddn:May be the negative -5VDC can be reverse polarity to supply BBB?:forbiddn:
The gnd is common to the above +ve supplies and will void the isolation and possible fault!
You should use a separate isolated supply for the BBB- does not need to be top end types

Hey Chanh,

Not sure if this will make sense, but the negative power supply becomes this way if the positive leg is referenced to ground. Since the ssr03 has one positive leg and one negative leg of the two supplies referenced to ground, this is dependant on which output leg from the bridge rectifier is referenced to ground, if that makes sense I'm glad, once that does, it may explain what acko meant by 2 floating supplies, neither leg is referenced to ground, so you get to choose whether you need a positive or negative leg.
does that make sense?

Laters,

Drew.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.