Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB - Page 70 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2013, 12:23 PM   #691
diyAudio Member

I understand it may not be optimal...but its what I have. There is a 100MHz clock on the dac, but it can be disabled for sync operation, Im using an Arduino uno with Hifiduino code for the dac board register settings. Is there a ufl to header adapter board that can be purchased?

Last edited by iancortez; 3rd June 2013 at 12:27 PM.
Old 3rd June 2013, 02:27 PM   #692
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

its cool, not being critical, I think i've already made myself clear on that thread. just being practical ie. trying to save you possible trouble and several of us on this thread have already mentioned the potato option may not be best suited to that board, as their advantage can become a disadvantage.

can the onboard clock actually be disabled, or just turned off? ie are you actually using its output enable pin to disable it, or just not applying power? because even if its off its output stage is still in parallel with the input, so will negatively effect the clock wave shape due to the diode effect. that alone could cause dropouts.

as for a u.fl adapter, unless its made specifically for your dac board, wiring it in with flying wires or bending pins will I think do more harm than good. I would just try and get some good quality ribbon cable and make it as short and neat as possible (50mm is good) then only split the ribbon into individual wires for as short a length as possible and hard-wire it after testing, lose the connectors.
Old 3rd June 2013, 03:26 PM   #693
diyAudio Member

Thanks no offense taken. apppreciate your input and understand your points, I am disabling the clock with the enable pin. This is my first project, learning a lot, hopefully I can transition al this knowledge to a highend dac setup later.
Old 6th June 2013, 08:32 AM   #694
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancortez View Post
..... This is my first project, learning a lot, hopefully I can transition al this knowledge to a highend dac setup later.
You have made great efforts already! The system is capable of higher performance even with the DAC module that you have chosen.

I have mentioned this before: once the signals leave the re-clocker there is nothing left to prop them up and therefore quality of interconnects come into play. So connections should be short and direct to the DAC inputs and the re-clocker, particularly the MCLK and RCK signals as these are ~100MHz for the full sync setup of yours.

Also, I am a little curious as to what would happen if the div/4 link from Clock Board is disconnected. If the Amanero is truly using external clock then the sound will cut off.
Old 6th June 2013, 02:30 PM   #695
diyAudio Member

Thanks! I will double check later but when I initially made connection to the dac, if the div/4 link is disconnected no sound was heard. think i will use short ufl cables with the ends removed soldered to the header location directly as was suggested.

Also I have a ESS9018 dac chip, anyone know of any pcb with provisions for ufl conectors and excellent layout etc. that I could purchase?

Last edited by iancortez; 6th June 2013 at 02:51 PM.
Old 6th June 2013, 03:55 PM   #696
RollE2k is offline RollE2k  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Either the buffalo OR the Acko-dac is the ones that most people run here, a bit more expensive, but the layout is pretty much as good as it gets.
Old 6th June 2013, 07:39 PM   #697
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

iancortez, saw you put your name in for the u.fl adapter stuff from Ian, honestly its a waste of money for your purposes, it isnt made to match other dacs, so it will not improve anything, it will probably be worse than using a short ribbon cable.

dont get me wrong, I love u.fl connectors, in fact I pretty much championed them into popularity here, but they are all about having well terminated, controlled impedance connections and a u.fl adapter hacked into another PCB with bent wires or pins to make it fit, without proper termination is a cosmetic mod more than anything; it will not bring any real benefits IMO
Old 6th June 2013, 07:45 PM   #698
diyAudio Member

I figured it might not bring much of an improvement but I am hoping to tidy up the interconnects by using the adapter to fit, to the six pin header on my setup and I have a lot of ufl connectors and cables already so might as well use them.
Old 7th June 2013, 05:37 AM   #699
Mull3t is offline Mull3t  United States
diyAudio Member

Quick question. If going with one XO on the clock board, I still need to populate the CKSEL parts and a jumper between pins 2 and 3, right?
Old 7th June 2013, 05:42 AM   #700
diyAudio Member

I'm not 100% sure on this, but looking at the E/D pin function on the CCHD957 datasheet, it looks like it is enabled when there is an open circuit on the E/D pin. So I think you can just leave that stuff all alone, leave it open circuit and the clock will just power up and run.

You can of course, build it without those parts, then see if it works or not, certainly won't damage anything. Which is only a useful suggestion if you have all the parts already. If you're working out what to order then maybe simplest to just order those parts, they aren't expensive .

Hide this!Advertise here!