• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm looking to do a BBB -> AMN-S02 with AKX302 Clock board -> ADK23P with full sync. Any chance I can use the OTTO-II from TPA and switch between the BBB and Amanero?
OTTO-II looks alright for this. Hopefully, this will help you to do some A/B comparisons :)
There are reports of BBB being better when tested individually with I2S direct but what if when both are going through S03?

Also, In this implementation am I more wise to use 22/24 clocks instead of the 45/49 clocks? It looks from an earlier post from Acko that this was being suggested.

22/24 clock should be fine but the higher 45/49 may bring about better results for ESS DACs (jitter reduction) - haven't tested these for 9023 DACs but see how it goes

I do also have an S03 board that had the mistake with full sync and Amanero pin outs. If I decided to use this board instead how would I be affected?
Only if you are plugging in Amanero direct using header on this older version. Otherwise just wire following the signal lines

I am thinking of using these isolators:
http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/iso7640fm.pdf

Will these be suitable?
No problems with these

For powering the three different (except for isolator chip input side, this will come from the raspy pi) I am thinking of using one 5v power supply taken from the dddac board. For the clock a local shunt regulator will be used on the S03 board.
Will this be sufficient, or is there a benefit in splitting these?
What will be the total power consumption?
Can DDDAC 5V supply the current requirements as indicated in the manual?

Also, In this implementation am I more wise to use 22/24 clocks instead of the 45/49 clocks? It looks from an earlier post from Acko that this was being suggested.
acko said:
22/24 clock should be fine but the higher 45/49 may bring about better results for ESS DACs (jitter reduction) - haven't tested these for 9023 DACs but see how it goes

I am going to test it with my ES9023 based dac, when I complete it. I have order two Crystek 45/49 for this reason. I can't find (Digikey, Mouser) 45/49 by NDK

Thanks Acko, for the supporting.

Initial results from an early adopter:

Equipment is a commercial DAC with USB-I2S built-in and driving 9018 chip in Sync mode internally. Good sounding setup with performance better than some of the cheap 9018-based DIY DACs out there. DAC has options for external I2S connection via RJ45 interface

1.BBB-I2S connection sounds better than USB
2.Adding S03 module with connection as shown produced even better results

AKLS03 can make the signal smooth as the attached picture so that the sound is improved.

result.jpg

No problems with these

Can DDDAC 5V supply the current requirements as indicated in the manual?

Hi,

In the docs there is mention of 50m and 100m for the current usage.
Am I right in the assumption this means clock freq?

In that case I will need 140mA for 100 mhz clock. I use my own unregulated power supply on the dddac and the local 5v regulator can handle this so this will be no problem.

Regards,

Its nice to see a progress with BBB solution here.

Can someone try to play audiofile with 352.8kHz or 385kHz sampling rate from BBB with MCLK fed from external clock? Does it work?

Thanks for the info.

You cann't directly play audiofile with 352.8kHz or 385kHz sampling rate from BBB.

You can directly play audiofile with 96kHz sampling rate from BBB based on good quality power supply.

It's some distortion when I play audiofile with 192kHz sampling rate from BBB based on good quality power supply.

You have to use one of Isolator/Reclocker.

I'm sure that the AKL-S03 can play audiofile with 352.8kHz or 385kHz sampling rate from BBB.

Last edited:
Hi Acko,

I have some philips 74hc74d in my parts bin. Are these suitable instead of po74g74a?

Philips - datasheet pdf

I have noticed that there is a 3pin through hole arrangement next to c4, this is new on the black board. Is this a spot for a shunt regulator for the supply of the clock? It's not clear in the documentation.

Regards,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    395.9 KB · Views: 458
Last edited:
Hi Acko,

I have some philips 74hc74d in my parts bin. Are these suitable instead of po74g74a?

Philips - datasheet pdf

Nope, pin compatible but 23MHz max clock!
You have a 100MHz clock so po74g74a only

I have noticed that there is a 3pin through hole arrangement next to c4, this is new on the black board. Is this a spot for a shunt regulator for the supply of the clock? It's not clear in the documentation.
Yes, indicated as RG1 on the schematic but not marked on the board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.