Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB - Page 37 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd February 2013, 11:30 PM   #361
supra is offline supra  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
I'm in when you are ready, no hurry for me.
Me too.
Old 4th February 2013, 12:48 AM   #362
bk856er is offline bk856er  United States
diyAudio Member

Anyone have a specific recommendation (digikey p/n) for the 0.1" headers?

BK
Old 5th February 2013, 06:05 AM   #363
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by free2dev View Post
Can 336-1754-5-ND chip used for U2, U8 ?

Thanks
Yes, this can be used and much cheaper than IL711!

BOM Updated:
AKL-AMN-SXX BOM - View/Edit/Update
Old 6th February 2013, 12:30 AM   #364
acko is offline acko  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk856er View Post
Anyone have a specific recommendation (digikey p/n) for the 0.1" headers?

BK
0.1 inch header 2-way Digikey PN: A26543-ND
0.1 inch header 3-way Digikey PN: A26545-ND

BOM Updated:
AKL-AMN-SXX BOM - View/Edit/Update

Last edited by acko; 6th February 2013 at 12:36 AM.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:34 AM   #365
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

acko

Do you know what the current draw will be for the Potato only section of the board.
Old 13th February 2013, 01:51 AM   #366
diyAudio Member

DQ,

If you're using the load to size a pre-regulator/transformer I would allow say 30mA at a rough guess.

The big load is the 4ch isolator. I looked at two different datasheets and came to the same answer:

NVE 715 isolator needs probably 15mA total.

Si 8440 Isol needs ~4mA per channel (4 channel for i2s and another few if you're doing DSDOE and mute isolation as well, if you don't need those signals then don't populate that isolator).

So this is roughly consistent between the two 4ch isolators, without looking at the datasheet for the 2ch isolators I'm just going to guess they'll be 6-10mA.

The potato FF doesn't specify a current draw, I assume that means its probably quite small but at 30mA you've got a bit of room to move there.

Back of the envelope and pretty rough but I think 30mA should be safe ... there is probably somewhere between a few uA to say 1mA lost in the ADP150 reg as well but not enough to make a big difference I'd guess.

Chris

Last edited by hochopeper; 13th February 2013 at 01:54 AM.
Old 13th February 2013, 03:19 AM   #367
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hochopeper View Post
DQ,

If you're using the load to size a pre-regulator/transformer I would allow say 30mA at a rough guess.

The big load is the 4ch isolator. I looked at two different datasheets and came to the same answer:

NVE 715 isolator needs probably 15mA total.

Si 8440 Isol needs ~4mA per channel (4 channel for i2s and another few if you're doing DSDOE and mute isolation as well, if you don't need those signals then don't populate that isolator).

So this is roughly consistent between the two 4ch isolators, without looking at the datasheet for the 2ch isolators I'm just going to guess they'll be 6-10mA.

The potato FF doesn't specify a current draw, I assume that means its probably quite small but at 30mA you've got a bit of room to move there.

Back of the envelope and pretty rough but I think 30mA should be safe ... there is probably somewhere between a few uA to say 1mA lost in the ADP150 reg as well but not enough to make a big difference I'd guess.

Chris
Excellent thank you, I am toying with a couple of approaches which I may post for advice.

thanks again
Old 13th February 2013, 06:15 AM   #368
diyAudio Member

I'm thinking of using one of the TI Eval regulator boards I have laying around to feed the Isolator as per the attachment. The regulator will be fed from the Placid HD that should have plenty of mA left over because it is only feeding the BIII SE & an OTTO II.

The next bit is a bit OT well a lot OT really. In my first DAC the Arduino isn't connected to the BIII in anyway, so I felt fine using a good SMPS to run the Arduino. In the new DAC the BIII SE will be connected to the Arduino via the I2C input and the Star ground. I am still planning in using the SMPS but thought I might run it's output through one of the TI regulators to lower the noise before sending it to the Arduino.

Any thoughts on that approach?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 13-02-13 DQ DAC 2 Isolator Power.jpg (242.4 KB, 352 views)
File Type: jpg 13-02-13 DQ DAC 2 Generalr.jpg (349.7 KB, 345 views)

Last edited by DQ828; 13th February 2013 at 06:34 AM.
Old 13th February 2013, 06:53 AM   #369
diyAudio Member

The I2C from Arduino must be isolated otherwise ground noise will affect the SQ a lot. With the isolator, you can use whatever PSU for Arduino.
Old 13th February 2013, 07:14 AM   #370
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpandahk View Post
The I2C from Arduino must be isolated otherwise ground noise will affect the SQ a lot. With the isolator, you can use whatever PSU for Arduino.
This is correct, you really do want to isolate the i2c connection too.

Quote:
The next bit is a bit OT well a lot OT really. In my first DAC the Arduino isn't connected to the BIII in anyway, so I felt fine using a good SMPS to run the Arduino. In the new DAC the BIII SE will be connected to the Arduino via the I2C input and the Star ground. I am still planning in using the SMPS but thought I might run it's output through one of the TI regulators to lower the noise before sending it to the Arduino.

Any thoughts on that approach?

If you chose to only build one of the re-clocker boards then you could probably adapt the second board as a general purpose isolator and not populate any of the re-clocking parts just the isol and its power supplies.

You should be able to achieve this with the Si8605 for example. Some of the io might be a bit messy because it is coming from the pin headers that Acko has provided for i2s but it should work quite nicely. If I get a chance later I'll work out exactly how this should work but at a glance the Si8605 pin out should be ok to drop into this board without too much hassle.

Quote:
I'm thinking of using one of the TI Eval regulator boards I have laying around to feed the Isolator as per the attachment. The regulator will be fed from the Placid HD that should have plenty of mA left over because it is only feeding the BIII SE & an OTTO II.
Are you talking about using that instead of the onboard ADP150 or in addition to the ADP150? I think you might find it'd be overkill to use it as well as the ADP150 and unless you're careful with how you wire it up might not be an advantage to use it instead of the onboard LDO (if you run the wires a long way they may pick up more radiated noise than the better regulator might buy you, for example).

Hide this!Advertise here!