• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Amanero Isolator/Reclocker GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Jackal, i know that it's a feature that it can take MCK input, but earlier it was talk about the MCK input was through the DSDOE pin or something like that. So this is what makes me confused. Is it an older firmware that does take MCK input on the DSDOE pin, while the cpld_slave2224 fw does take it at the MCK-pin?

Also, i thought i read somewhere that the ES9018 should play DSD without any DSDOE input signal?

There was a mistake in the reclocker board and manual, Acko tought pin 7 was used for MCLK input but it was actually pin 6. There has only been one slave mode firmware released AFAIK and it has worked always the same.

You are correct about the ES9018, it doesn't need DSD_OE.

Last edited:
I don't undertsand your question, what DSD_OE in? The one in the Combo384 is "out" and the 9018 has no DSD_OE "in". The 9018 detects incoming DSD automatically, no need for any trigger.

These Q/As are a little OT here, probably Acko would prefer if this questions were asked in the Combo384 thread?

Yes, sorry - that was confusing. Trying to understand the various issues at play with a full sync implementation of the 302/SO1 not handling DSD. What I meant to say was that without the 302 properly handling ping 7 (The board's been routed for MCLK in on pin 7), the clock board isn't selecting the correct clock to handle DSD. This is stretching my understanding, so any/all enlightenment is appreciated.

And - I think this thread is very appropriate for this topic, as these are issues that many will work through to use these boards with a full sync implementation. Acko - do chime in and let us know otherwise.

There was a mistake in the reclocker board and manual, Acko tought pin 7 was used for MCLK input but it was actually pin 6. There has only been one slave mode firmware released AFAIK and it has worked always the same.

You are correct about the ES9018, it doesn't need DSD_OE.

MCLK Input is working but it needs a new firmware for the cpld i haven't yet adapted for download. I think to put online the new cpld firmware soon.

When you check MCLK Input, the cpld works in slave mode and it accepts the clock from pin7. Pin1 and Pin11 are used for clock selection.

The 'mistake' in the re-clocker design came about from the information above where I thought pin#7 (DSDOE) has become MCLK input. It has become clear that this is not the case and it is actually pin#6 (MCLK out) turns into MCLK input with the firmware update and 22/24 slave setup. Many thanks to Jackal29a for bringing this to our attention.

But all is not lost as the mod seem minor to rectify this. I will post pics soon to illustrate my earlier fix to this issue

For Full Sync mode with Amanero firmware update and cpld 22/24 Slave select:
Cut the track (bottom side) of the ALK-AMN board from U8(U2) pin#3 to pin#7 Amanero (DSDOE) and then re-connect pin#3 of U8(or U2) with IL712 to pin#6 (MCK) of Amanero. This affects the S01, S02 and the new S03 boards used this way.
As shown:

Attachments

• AKL-AMN-SXX Track.png
    AKL-AMN-SXX Track.png
    46.1 KB · Views: 500
For Full Sync mode with Amanero firmware update and cpld 22/24 Slave select:
Cut the track (bottom side) of the ALK-AMN board from U8(U2) pin#3 to pin#7 Amanero (DSDOE) and then re-connect pin#3 of U8(or U2) with IL712 to pin#6 (MCK) of Amanero. This affects the S01, S02 and the new S03 boards used this way.

Alternatively, (if you do not wish to cut tracks) simply link pin-pad#7 to #6 on the re-clocker board but do not connect pin#7 of Amanero

Thanks Acko. Maybe you or others can help. I used the above mod last night, and still cannot play DSD files. All PCM (all frequencies) play fine. Also, I don't think I've successfully flashed the Amanero for slave mode. Here's what I posted on the other thread:

"I need some help here - I must be doing something wrong :-( I'm trying to flash the Amanero into slave2224 mode, and I can't seem to get it to take (when I pull the clock input pin from MCLK, it continues to play). If I just select slave2224 and CPLD then exit, the device isn't found. If I first flash slave2224 then firmware 074, the device works, but it seems not in slave mode. What am I missing?"

Anyone who's successfully flashed the Amanero for slave mode; what steps did you use?

At this stage I've decided to keep it simple & just use AKL-AMN-S01 as an isolator between the Amanero & the BIII (Sidecar) I propose to power the BIII side of the S01 from the 5.25V Placid HD supply & the Amanero side from a separate 3.3V supply, & bring the 3.3v supply in at the Amanero 3.3v output.
I will install links from the isolator chip to the output pads for LRCK, SDATA & BCK, as shown in the drawing.

I have marked the components I propose to load onto the board to make this happen. Can anyone please confirm;

1. That I have shown all the components that I will need to stall to make it work properly.?
  2. That it is ok to feed the 3.3v into the Amanero via it's 3.3v output?
  3. Do I need to remove any components from the Amanero so the power supply from the computer (when plugged in) doesn't get to the board.

Attachments

• DAC 1 Isolator Layout.JPG
    DAC 1 Isolator Layout.JPG
    169.2 KB · Views: 1,133
At this stage I've decided to keep it simple & just use AKL-AMN-S01 as an isolator between the Amanero & the BIII (Sidecar) I propose to power the BIII side of the S01 from the 5.25V Placid HD supply & the Amanero side from a separate 3.3V supply, & bring the 3.3v supply in at the Amanero 3.3v output.

1. That it is ok to feed the 3.3v into the Amanero via it's 3.3v output?

I am afraid this will fault your setup! Correct way is to let the Amanero 3.3v output power the input side of the isolator. If you wish to use an external 3.3V supply for this then make sure it is not connected to the Amanero 3.3V pwr output.

Also GND of BIII inputs needs to be connected to gnd on the output side of the S01

Thanks Acko. Maybe you or others can help. I used the above mod last night, and still cannot play DSD files. All PCM (all frequencies) play fine. Also, I don't think I've successfully flashed the Amanero for slave mode. Here's what I posted on the other thread:

"I need some help here - I must be doing something wrong :-( I'm trying to flash the Amanero into slave2224 mode, and I can't seem to get it to take (when I pull the clock input pin from MCLK, it continues to play). If I just select slave2224 and CPLD then exit, the device isn't found. If I first flash slave2224 then firmware 074, the device works, but it seems not in slave mode. What am I missing?"

Anyone who's successfully flashed the Amanero for slave mode; what steps did you use?

Have requested Amanero for further assistance and will advise. Also new cpld slave 45/49 firmware and update procedures will be released soon :)

Last edited:
I am afraid this will fault your setup! Correct way is to let the Amanero 3.3v output power the input side of the isolator. If you wish to use an external 3.3V supply for this then make sure it is not connected to the Amanero 3.3V pwr output.

Also GND of BIII inputs needs to be connected to gnd on the output side of the S01

Thanks, I am thinking I will bring 5V into the Amanero just after the USB & before the regulator, then cut the trace to the USB power.

I forgot to draw the ground :) thanks again

you don't have to cut the trace to the USB power, just remove the L1.

Looking at the schematic, if L1 is removed you would have an open to the 5v in to the regulator.

http://amanero.com/USB_B.pdf

The method he proposed in the Amanero GB thread (5v at C27) would allow the Amanero 3.3v header to power the isolator board and allow an unmodified USB cable (without USB power wire cut) to be connected to the Amanero.

358237d1373023833-usb-i2s-384khz-dsd-converter-13-07-05-amanero-power.jpg

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.