ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest - Page 60 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th February 2013, 06:40 PM   #591
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Yes it is a resistor array.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:21 PM   #592
Eric06 is offline Eric06  France
diyAudio Member

Fantastic.

Just a question still. Is the I2S direct connectivity still possible without too much wiring headache?
I am looking forward to be able to interface these with the mini-shark to build an 8 ways digital filter pre-amp.

Edit: oops, skipped Korben's post where it is mentioned U.FL for I2S. Forget the question then.

Thanks
-- Eric

Last edited by Eric06; 19th February 2013 at 09:32 PM.
Old 19th February 2013, 09:48 PM   #593
grufti is offline grufti  United States
diyAudio Member

It looks like the bridged/balanced variety has bitten the dust ... at least for now.

I like the changes: S/PDIF - I2S - analog all on one side of the baord, re-arranged I2S inputs with U.FL pads, smaller connectors for S/PDIF and analog and all the other little things.
Old 19th February 2013, 11:47 PM   #594
acccruz is offline acccruz  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Hi:

The group buy is still open?

I want 1 SE Kit.

Thank you,
Antonio
Old 20th February 2013, 06:19 AM   #595
atupi is offline atupi  Romania
diyAudio Member

Is still open Antonio. Fill the spreadsheet with your needed configuration.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:32 AM   #596
diyAudio Member

Hi All

Subbu DAC V3 is coming mature, I'm glad to see the new improved design, Great !

GB is alive : same link to feed Magic Spreadsheet with you inputs Post#1, or there :
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...yd0NadlE#gid=0
Informations about Prices/Shipping will be updated and published later.

I2S stream is using U.FL connectors, BTW I2S signal could be tapped directly there.
I2S Question : what about MCLK ? I suppose BCLK/LRCK/DATA as X4/5/6

74LVC1G04DBV seems to be missing... or did this pic show the SE version ?
I guess Subbu's Post#587 presents only populated SE version.
Nice to read from you Jean-Paul & Subbu about BAL version

Have a nice day

Phil

Last edited by korben69; 20th February 2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:50 AM   #597
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Hi Phil. it is not Subbu's DAC. It is a DAC by Subbu and me and it is called "Subbu DAC" as that is a nice good sounding short name. The suggestion to call it Subbu DAC was done as it was called "WM8804 ES9023 SPDIF DAC" at first which is not the most attractive name I did the layout for the V3 SE version (and the PSU). The very first version V1 was a design by Subbu and I tried to improve the design by cutting tracks and adding regs and parts. When the DAC died after too many wild experiments I asked for the files and went along together with Subbu to make it a very good DAC. We both do our own part in the design and all details are discussed and decisions are made in a quite harmonic way of working together. This while we never met in person. Just online DIY cooperation with good results (not only for us both but for all participants as well).

Subbu is the one adapting the design for BAL. We both have jobs etc so we struggle along and try to do a V3 in our free time. When a BAL version is ready (if there wil be one at all) Subbu will say so.

Last edited by jean-paul; 20th February 2013 at 07:59 AM.
Old 20th February 2013, 07:58 AM   #598
diyAudio Member

Hi Jean-Paul
Previous post corrected according to your informations about DAC naming and your involvement in layout design.
I know you're busy and do your best
We'll wait Subbu's informations about BAL version.
Old 20th February 2013, 08:31 AM   #599
qusp is offline qusp  Australia
diyAudio Member

have you added a keepout under the ufl pad?

the resistor array is good idea, but its definitely the hardest part on the board to solder and i'm not sure its doing much good how its placed or was it a money saving thing? they are only JUST hand solderable with a normal iron and very easy to create a short circuit without being able to see it easily, do you really need it? have you got much experience soldering them yourself Subbu? for easy soldering they really need reflow or hot air IMO; itrs doable, but a pita with an iron and i've got quite a lot of SMD experience.

or are you guys getting it populated pick and place? I remember there was some talk of that.

Last edited by qusp; 20th February 2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 20th February 2013, 09:31 AM   #600
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by qusp View Post
have you added a keepout under the ufl pad?

the resistor array is good idea, but its definitely the hardest part on the board to solder and i'm not sure its doing much good how its placed or was it a money saving thing? they are only JUST hand solderable with a normal iron and very easy to create a short circuit without being able to see it easily...

Do you know what part is to be used? And what pitch are the pads?

It would appear from the layout the array should be no harder to solder than the WM8804.

Ken

Hide this!Advertise here!