• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2010
Paid Member
V3 evaluation is progressing well and initial results are exciting. I am waiting for JP to provide his feedback (his boards are enroute to him) and consolidate them before updating the group.

Bill: thanks for offering help in distribution. Will get it touch when we get closer.

Regards,
Subbu

Just curious about a few questions that are on my mind...

What output caps are recommended for this build?

I read somewhere earlier in this thread that i2s was not really the best method for input and S/PDIF was more optimal. If I understand correctly, changes have been made to the board that make i2s more feasible. If this is the case then what is the recommended USB to i2s board. Also, is S/PDIF still more optimal?

Right now my MacBook Pro is capable of 24/96 via TOSLINK. If I go the USB route I think I can achieve 24/192. Am I correct in my assumption?

Thanks!

Ok let's see if I have been paying attention....
i2s will now have the coax connectors and some refinements have been made.
I just purchased the Amanero board to use with this when it's ready. That can go as high as 384. This DAC can go to 24/192.
Please correct me if I have misspoken, I have been following with great interest!!

I'm not sure if they are coax connectors. I think they are u.fl connectors. I've been looking at the Amanero. It doesn't look like it has u.fl connectors. It looks like through hole soldering is required. I believe you're right about the 24/192 on the DAC.

It looks like another option is the WaveIO. It does have u.fl connectors. But it's $30 more if you've paid the full price for the Amanero. It has S/PDIF outputs as well. Not sure if you'd want to use that if i2s is already available.

This might be a silly question. So if you have S/PDIF output from the WaveIO, could you use the S/PDIF input on the Subbu v3 and connect everything that way?

@billyk - Interesting about the Amanero isolator/reclocker... so why is there a need for a reclocker?

I've also started to look into the JG buffer. What does the buffer do? and is it possible to still obtain one?

Forgive me for my newbish questions. I've built a few self contained DACs and this is my first modular design.

The isolator part may be a good thing because it separates the PC ground from the digital/analog ground further downstream. Even that may be hard to measure, but I plan to try. I use the Amanero and the isolator/reclocker.

The reasoning for the reclocker part is way more complicated. I have not populated the reclocker section of my acko part at this time, but I plan to build another one in the future with reclocking.

Don't hold your breath for measurements and/or comments on the benefits or not of reclocking in this particular setup. I am extremely happy with the subbu DAC and its relatives as is. Measuring the miniscule differences is a huge challenge. It's easy to make mistakes that turn the outcome on its head, and once you're done there is still the question whether anything you found makes any difference to your enjoyment of the music.

Ok. So the isolator blocks the pc ground. So in effect is that decreasing potential noise?

It sounds like the reclocking might be a waste of time in this application.

I'm going the USB -> i2s route in the first place because my source (MacBook Pro) can't do better than 24/96 over optical (S/PDIF)

Is there a benefit of using the Wave IO over the Amanero?

Isolator is what I am looking at it for too. I like the idea of isolation. I am not sure about re-clocking and like grufti I plan to experiment, I doubt I will hear anything with my old ears, but it is fun to build and experiment.
I have not used either yet so cannot offer an opinion.
I like the idea of a buffer, I use a B1 now and from what I have read the JG sounds good. Some have stated it takes a bit of the edge off the 9022, but I have not heard it and since the V3 is not available yet...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.