• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

ES9023 / WM8804 S/PDIF "Subbu DAC V3" GB Interest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
V3 evaluation is progressing well and initial results are exciting. I am waiting for JP to provide his feedback (his boards are enroute to him) and consolidate them before updating the group.

Bill: thanks for offering help in distribution. Will get it touch when we get closer.

Regards,
Subbu

How are things coming along? It's been almost three weeks since you posted your last message about V3. It sounded hopeful then, did that change in the meantime?

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
No worries Gogu. We are not exactly the fastest people on earth ;)

Grufti, we (again) changed some details on the design and (again) I haven't even received my beta PCB's yet.

We changed decoupling and situation around the charge pump. If you need a DAC fast then skip this project. We are into ridiculous details which take time.

Grufti, we (again) changed some details on the design and (again) I haven't even received my beta PCB's yet.

We changed decoupling and situation around the charge pump. If you need a DAC fast then skip this project. We are into ridiculous details which take time.

No worries, Jean-Paul, I'm not in a hurry at all. I have built three of the V2.6 DAC's. It's just nice to find out what you are up to from time to time. Ridiculous details are fine by me. The designers Charles and Ray Eames are credited with a quote that reflects their design philosophy pretty well. It is how I approach "serious" projects myself also. I'm attaching it as an image here.

Attachments

• Eames_Details.png
    Eames_Details.png
    96.5 KB · Views: 641
Last edited:
Hi korben69 & jean paul,

I am glad to find this GB still open and would like to join. But a question that may have been answered before:

1. Is it possible to get both Balanced and Unbalanced outputs from the DAC ?
2. Is it possible to get USB connection without using i2s ?

Thanks!

Jay

Hi korben69 & jean paul,

1. Is it possible to get both Balanced and Unbalanced outputs from the DAC ?
2. Is it possible to get USB connection without using i2s ?

I'll take a shot at answering this: 1. unlikely. The choice was either bal or unbal in V2.6. The state of affairs for the upcoming V3 - the version that you are signing up for in the group buy - is not settled for the balanced version. The unbalanced version of V3 will be released first. The balanced [bridged] version of V3 will be released later.

It isn't terribly difficult to convert a balanced signal to unbal.

2. there are lots of USB to S/PDIF converters available.

Hi All

jay53, I confirm grufti answer :
1° - V3 will be available in SE version, followed with a BAL one using 2 boards (different stuffing for each board like V2.6).
Each board will generate BAL signals : (+) for board 1 & (-) for board 2.
BTW you can't have SE and BAL signals at the same time.
Another way is the use of Sync->Async (BAL->SE) converters such as Lundhal with a BAL version, and disconnect it while using BAL signals...

2° - USB -> SPDIF is the other alternative to USB -> I2S.
V3 provides embeded WM8804 SPDIF receiver & I2S connexions (U.FL pads)

I've received my V3 Beta Kit.
Soldering job is done, tested and working perfectly with USB -> I2S
I haven't used U.FL connectors, BTW I first encountered some signals troubles due to cable lenght.
Solved with shorter cables (10cm <).
More to come ;)

Phil

Phil,
Since you will be releasing the single ended version before the balanced there is 2 entries in the spreadsheet for me one for single ended DAC and power supply boards and parts, and one entry for the same balanced when that is completed. As if you needed any more confusion on this but I got lucky and there was a blank spot on the spreadsheet next to my original order so it is not too confusing.

thanks
Bill

The way I interpret it for Balanced you use one of the single end board and the second board you use for balanced you don't fully populate. I just decided I wanted a single ended and a balanced DAC. Though the balanced configuration has not been finalized yet. Part of it is driven by my lack of patience and wanted to not wait until the balanced variant is out to start building.

Bill

Last edited:
Hi All

jay53, I confirm grufti answer :
1° - V3 will be available in SE version, followed with a BAL one using 2 boards (different stuffing for each board like V2.6).
Each board will generate BAL signals : (+) for board 1 & (-) for board 2.
BTW you can't have SE and BAL signals at the same time.
Another way is the use of Sync->Async (BAL->SE) converters such as Lundhal with a BAL version, and disconnect it while using BAL signals...

2° - USB -> SPDIF is the other alternative to USB -> I2S.
V3 provides embeded WM8804 SPDIF receiver & I2S connexions (U.FL pads)

I've received my V3 Beta Kit.
Soldering job is done, tested and working perfectly with USB -> I2S
I haven't used U.FL connectors, BTW I first encountered some signals troubles due to cable lenght.
Solved with shorter cables (10cm <).
More to come ;)

Phil

I'll take a shot at answering this: 1. unlikely. The choice was either bal or unbal in V2.6. The state of affairs for the upcoming V3 - the version that you are signing up for in the group buy - is not settled for the balanced version. The unbalanced version of V3 will be released first. The balanced [bridged] version of V3 will be released later.

It isn't terribly difficult to convert a balanced signal to unbal.

2. there are lots of USB to S/PDIF converters available

Thanks Grufti and Korben.

I have signed up for 1 SE Kit with Parts

Jay

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.