• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Discrete Low Jitter Clock GB

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Pat says he reach such phase noise, not with all of these crystals but with a 20-25%.
He tests all crystals and throw out the rest. Seems he use a simple picogate Pierce oscillator (unbuffered '04).
I cannot confirm that, I don't own the equipment to test phase noise.

He says about Tent clock:
"From his site, -92 dBc @ 10 Hz, for 33.xx Mhz. Subtract 9.5 dB, for 11.2896 MHz. Ok, let's be generous and say it is -103 dBc @ 10 Hz.
I throw out crystals that measure like that."

got the boards finally :)
they are awesome, thanks you, Anton!

I'm curious if I perceive any difference compared to my old valab clocks, but need to install at least one of them first in my T+A 1210.

A quick question, is it ok if I use old crystal with the clock? It's 16.934Mhz, so should be fine I suppose?

Attachments

• crystal.jpg
    crystal.jpg
    253 KB · Views: 470
Last edited:
tried to connect my old valab clock, but was unlucky yesterday... perhaps I did something wrong or maybe because of the 16.9344Mhz clock frequency. Does it correspond to T+A's 16.934Mhz or these are completely different frequences? Just to mention that I was trying to connect clock to 74hcu04 inverter.

Last edited:
An update for those orders placed after the main groupbuy:

- Ryssen: sent 10/12/2012, arrived 20/12/2012
- mstr: sent 15/12/2012
- ruben058: sent 15/12/2012, arrived 25/12/2012
- UV101: sent 10/12/2012, arrived 22/12/2012
- dtses: sent 10/12/2012, arrived 11/1/2013
- ekidnah09: sent 15/12/2012, arrived 9/1/2013
- yyzz: sent 20/12/2012, arrived 28/12/2012
- andrea_mori: sent 20/12/2012
- randytsuch: sent 17/1/2013
- mikmm: sent 25/1/2013

Hi
I missed the group buy of kits but Anton has just sent me a board. Thanks Anton.
I have had a quick look at the BOM and found that because of minimum orders I will have to order 100 of some resistors, 25 of some others.
This seems to jack the price up alarmingly.
Have other builders had to order in this way.

Hi
I missed the group buy of kits but Anton has just sent me a board. Thanks Anton.
I have had a quick look at the BOM and found that because of minimum orders I will have to order 100 of some resistors, 25 of some others.
This seems to jack the price up alarmingly.

Hi

You're right.
When you place an order there's a min. qty order according to each ref. Mouser/Farnell/Digikey mention the min qty order for each part.
Find substitutes : usually they are more expensive but you can order them individually without min qty order.
Resistors aren't the most expensive parts, and I agree with you, there's no need to order 100 units when you only need 2 !
Don't forget that there's also a min amount order, and you'll be charged for shipping/VAT too.
Another option is to find a retailer around ;)
Cruel world

Probably, yes. I use the same sized resistor for all low power applications in all the PCBs I make, so it doesn't bother me. I often use them later, and they're not that expensive. It's great to have a selection of parts on hand.

I'd recommend that you stick fairly closely to the bill of materials I included. I picked them for good reasons, it best to understand them before making variations. This crystal will work well.

Hi Anton, I've sent for a quote at farnell. I'll try to source all the parts from there.
The crystal you mention is the one I've put on the quote but I won't buy it.:(
It is US stock and delivery is over £15 for a 4 pence crystal.
I'll probably put the original one in to start with.

Probably, yes. I use the same sized resistor for all low power applications in all the PCBs I make, so it doesn't bother me. I often use them later, and they're not that expensive. It's great to have a selection of parts on hand.

I'd recommend that you stick fairly closely to the bill of materials I included. I picked them for good reasons, it best to understand them before making variations. This crystal will work well.
I have ordered Panasonic FC's in place of Chemi-con caps for 201,204,206,207,209. as these are us order only from Farnell.
Would there be any problem in these positions.

Hi, soldered most of the parts in last night, just waiting on a couple of parts.

Has anyone finished a board, how does it sound?

I found the board a little small to solder, I just hope all the joints are ok.
I think it could have done with being a tad bigger. Anyone had bother with the soldering?

Same here, it's actually too small, easier would be to use smd parts i suppose.
I have finished the board, will try to find some time to test it on the following week and report the results.
Btw, j309 could be ordered via ebay, it's only couple of quid for a pack of ten fets delivered. Didn't use farnell as well as it's stupid to pay 10 times delivery fees than the order itself.

Hi
It's 01:30 here and I've just wired the clock into my Marantz cd6000KI.
Didn't think for one moment it would work as I soldered it with quite a large, by comparison, soldering iron.
But no , fired up and played first time, amazing.
Now listening to John and Yoko, pics of installation to follow when I have it screwed down properly.

Anyone else completed theirs yet?

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.