Discrete Low Jitter Clock GB - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Commercial Sector > Group Buys

Group Buys Members group buys

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th February 2012, 07:05 AM   #121
amc184 is offline amc184  New Zealand
diyAudio Member

No, you can't skip the comparator if you want a clock output that is suitable as a master clock for a CD player (the purpose of the project). You could replace its functionality with discrete components, but it's not something I'd recommend.
Old 27th February 2012, 07:14 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

any more pcb's available?
Old 27th February 2012, 07:17 AM   #123
diyAudio Member

Yes, I've still got a couple of PCBs spare, PM me your details.
Old 17th April 2012, 04:00 PM   #124
diyAudio Member

Any pcb's available?
Old 17th April 2012, 04:07 PM   #125
diyAudio Member

Hi Anton
I've finished one LJC module today.
Measuring 4.93V on pin1 of AD8561 vs 5V.
Is it Ok ?
What kind of wire do you use ?
Thanks
Old 18th April 2012, 10:25 AM   #126
roender is offline roender  Romania
diyAudio Member

Did someone measured the phase noise in frequency domain for this clock?
Old 19th May 2012, 09:16 AM   #127
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc184 View Post
No, you can't skip the comparator if you want a clock output that is suitable as a master clock for a CD player (the purpose of the project). You could replace its functionality with discrete components, but it's not something I'd recommend.
Can you please elaborate?
What's the function of the comparator? Purely buffering?

thanks
Old 19th May 2012, 09:55 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

@korben69: That's fine, well within margin. The output connector pattern suits SMA / SMB / SMC connectors, so usually you'd use something like RG316. The cabling isn't critical over very short distances, and the clock should be positioned very close to the point where it is to be used so that the transmission distance is kept very short. The clock isn't designed to drive a transmission line. Sorry about the late reply, I hope the answer is still useful.

@roender: No, I've already answered this question.

@studiostevus: The comparator is absolutely essential, it can't be omitted. Its function is to transform the two out of phase sinusoidal signals from the oscillator into a single squarewave. It's not merely a buffer.
Old 19th May 2012, 10:46 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Thanks for explaining.

Any idea about the effect of the comparator on jitter/phase noise...? The data sheet mentions a 7ns propagation delay, no mention of jitter (15ps typical i read somewhere). In any case, i believe that any psu noise to the comparator will result in phase noise...

Worth mentioning is also that not all devices require a square waveform to trigger. Have you tried to use it without?
Old 19th May 2012, 02:28 PM   #130
diyAudio Member

The comparator will add some phase noise, but it's not separable from the rest of the design. However, what it adds is by far outweighed by what it does by providing a squared output and the cancellation of common mode noise from the oscillator.

Quote:
In any case, i believe that any psu noise to the comparator will result in phase noise...
Did you note that the comparator runs off a separate regulated supply to the oscillator?

Quote:
Worth mentioning is also that not all devices require a square waveform to trigger. Have you tried to use it without?
As long as the waveform is of adequate voltage, almost any wave shape (triangle, sine etc) will work with almost any device. However, one of the significant causes of jitter is noise in the transition voltage of the receiving device. The jitter caused by this is proportional to the slope of the waveform about the transition, the steeper the slope the less jitter. Why would you want to use anything but a square wave?

Hide this!Advertise here!