• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Ya gents,

sort of a newbee question here!.Sorry to bother but i am sorta stuck:confused:.

On my CDPro 2 I can locate the 12 s output connector- a 6pin effort- so i made a colour coded lead to fit-- with the mechanism on the floor and as i look at it square on from left to right , according to the Phillips data sheet :

Pin 1= Misc (N/c on my lead)
Pin 2 = SCLK (Black on my lead)
Pin 3= WCLK (Brown on my lead)
Pin4= DATA (Red on my lead)
Pin5= Gnd ( Orange on my lead)
Pin6= graphics o/p (N/c on my lead)

Now looking at the Red Baron DAC input: 12S Ground is self explanatory
DATA is also self expansionary

However Sclock (from the CD Pro2) is that BCK or FS on the Red Baron I/P?
Also FS, (from the CD Pro2) is that BCK or FS on the Red Baron I/P?

Any help accepted, as i have yet to hear music from the Red Baron (but i know its in there somewhere!)

Thanks Gents
Johnny

Hi Johnny,

you must connect the CD Pro2 as followed:

CD Pro2 ---> Red Baron

GND ---> I2S GND
SCLK ---> BCK
WCLK ---> WS
DATA ---> DATA

:wave:

Hi Vidar,

as you could see on the attached photo, this is the config for I2S input (middle/lower pin short).

For simultaneous mode, you must short the upper/middle pin.

Cheers,
Oliver

Hi Oliver,
I am still having trouble getting the RB V5 to work using the ufl connectors on the waveio, no sound at all with VDD +5v, however when I change the OB/TWC to VDD1 -5v then there is distorted sound? I had sent an image to you and you confirmed that all parts are correct. I am using ufl: DATA, LRCK and BCLK.

any ideas?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi Oliver,
I am still having trouble getting the RB V5 to work using the ufl connectors on the waveio, no sound at all with VDD +5v, however when I change the OB/TWC to VDD1 -5v then there is distorted sound? I had sent an image to you and you confirmed that all parts are correct. I am using ufl: DATA, LRCK and BCLK.

any ideas?

Did you insert a TDA1541A, or do you still trying the TDA1541 ?

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Greg,

i remember that there are some problems with powering the WaveIO direct from the USB-Port, bacause of the needed current.

Please try to use an external +5V source and report back.

Best,
Oliver

P.S.: As you could read in the WaveIO Manual:
And, as a last note, just make sure that your WaveIO is powered properly using a 5Vdc PSU
sourcing more than 0.5A. If you'll use the USB ports then it's possible that some
laptop/motherboard USB power chips don't supply the required amount of current (specified in
USB specs.) but a little bit less, making WaveIO card not to work as expected especially at
higher sample rates.

Attachments

• WaveIO Infos.pdf
    552.8 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Hi ,

I am interested too on this. In fact I bought your I tube Zator 2 years ago when I was in Nz, populated and waiting for a dac to mount it. I always remember you are a helpful guy. I can see the RB is damn good and sexy, great one!

A fast few Question, I want the 1541ax1 runs passive,nos, simple psu. Do I still need the shunt board and psu board? Sorry I am not good in digital stuff.

PM me please... tq.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi ,

I am interested too on this. In fact I bought your I tube Zator 2 years ago when I was in Nz, populated and waiting for a dac to mount it. I always remember you are a helpful guy. I can see the RB is damn good and sexy, great one!

A fast few Question, I want the 1541ax1 runs passive,nos, simple psu. Do I still need the shunt board and psu board? Sorry I am not good in digital stuff.

PM me please... tq.

Hi Alfred,

you have a PM! ;)

Are these boards still for sale?

Hi there
Does anyone know if the red baron and tubeizator are still for sale?
I want to set up an sd card reader that outputs I2S into the red baron and then a tube output.
What boards will I need?
The other option is to have a seperate dac like the buffalo so I can decode higher res files I make from recording my vinyl. I use an maudio card to record 24 bit 96kHz for vinyl so I figure i will need 1. SD card reader 2. dac with i2s (one being tda 1541A for cd resolution and another for hi res) then the tube output stage.
Thanks

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Hi there
Does anyone know if the red baron and tubeizator are still for sale?
I want to set up an sd card reader that outputs I2S into the red baron and then a tube output.
What boards will I need?
The other option is to have a seperate dac like the buffalo so I can decode higher res files I make from recording my vinyl. I use an maudio card to record 24 bit 96kHz for vinyl so I figure i will need 1. SD card reader 2. dac with i2s (one being tda 1541A for cd resolution and another for hi res) then the tube output stage.
Thanks

Hi,

the Red Baron and the Tube-I-zator are in stock.

For the Tube-I-zator you will need only a transformer, because the PSU for HV and Heater is on board.
The Red Baron needs four regulated input voltages (-15V, -5V, +5V and +3.3V).

Best regards,
Oliver

Hi all,

if anyone was interested in the custom Laptech crystal
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...hronous-i2s-s-pdif-fifo-kit-group-buy-70.html
please add your name in the wish list at
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-line-level/203511-any-good-tda1541a-dac-kit-96.html

The minimum orderable quantity from Laptech is 5 pcs for each frequency.
When that quantity will be reached I ask Laptech for a quote.

Andrea

As promised, the list of interest is started.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digi...-jitter-crystal-oscillator-4.html#post4057057

wlowes

could you please comment on the layout below?

- There are 9 Salas shunts in total, some of them will still have a bit long connection from both sides.
- Ian's PCM board will be placed on top of DAC board
- Will use ipx mini coax cables to connect spdif module to PCM board
- PCM and DAC boards will be hard soldered, 2-3cm cables will go directly to TDA chip.

So I made the updates and burned one reg on PCM board accidentally! Anyway it's fixed now!
Sorry, no pics, will provide later.

A question most likely to Oliver :)
As a result of my update, I do not get any sound from the TDA chip now (w/o DDNF board). It is set to simultaneous mode as it should for PCM daughter board. All connections are triple checked and are the same as before I added mini coax cables and the DAC was working. The schematics is triple checked as well and is equal to v5.0.
When scope is connected, all 4 outputs (Data L, Data R, BCK, LE) have proper signals. Ian has confirmed that PCM board should be fine, but the output from TDA is completely silent. The only thing that could be is the DAC board I assume.

Unfortunately the worst thing here is that I'm stuck with this issues already for a month :confused: Would very appreciate any help!

My Red Baron 5 is also still not working

Well I still have the problem stated further back. No sound either. I'm not using Ian's boards however I have tried the version 5 boards with waveio, aminero, exa with no sound at all. Changed tda1541a chips 3 times, used various output stages, changed caps on the dac chip. Still silence, I do get garbled noise if I change the jumper next to the chip to simultaneously mode.
Really frustrated as I have checked all components numerous times.

Anyone able to help?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.