• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

"Reference" TDA1541A DAC with I2S-BUS architecture

Surface Finish for future PCB´s

• ENIG - Electroless Nickle/Immersion Gold

Votes: 93 48.7%
  • Immersion Silver

Votes: 54 28.3%
  • Immersion Tin

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • OSP - Organic Solderability Preservatives

Votes: 20 10.5%

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Hmm, some people like SRPP, some don't.... this might depend on ears, surrounding equipment, speaker timbre, ..., room, ... not at least cables and the kind of DAC of course.
Personally I have only heard such a circuit with a FET instead of the upper half tube and I liked it very much i a preamp.
So maybe there is not the perfect I/V but a right one for ears, equipment and room.

Enough wisdom ;)

What I read from John (EC Design) his DAC with his I/V stage should offer really really good resolution, stage, details,........just everything...... maybe especially with his most recent DAC MK4. If I'm right, Olivers is more MK2 and I don't remember if Johns stage at this time was the same.

I appreciate Lukasz approach and effort finding the best with his ears and like his entertaining style :D

John posted that 30 R is max for 1541; Lukasz uses something around 90 R. After John he should gather higher distortion due to that. I haven't tried, but I will.

To find the right I/V stage probably means try and error or try and modify. A simple anode follower stage can sound rather different, depending on kind of biasing (resistors, LED, with or without electrolytics), type of resistors in charge.... In my mind, it shouln'd be too much effort trying different topologies. And one could keep cost low, if used not only Boutique parts for try out stages. Russian tubes are cheap, 2sk170 is still cheap, everything on a wooden board....

I'll try but it will take time, a lot of time.

Btw, the TNT I/V stage should sound very good as well and only cheap parts are used as well.

Hm, some try to implement the new Pass I/V in their 1541. Be quick to get some J74 ;) before you have to buy them in a pharmacy.

And others, all well documented here.....:eek:

A lot of time but not that much money :radar:

Regards Ernst

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Personal announcement

Well my friends it is time to say thanks to all of you, who like and ordered my pcb´s.

Because i am no developer of electronic circuits but have the knowledge to design pcb´s, i wanted to give something back to the community.

Since i started with my 1st pcb, the Optical-Volume-Control on 15th October 2009, a small donation from every sold pcb goes to diyaudio.com

Today i am proud to say that your :grouphug: cumulated donation achieve

:worship: $ 1.500 :worship:

Keep on having fun with my pcb´s and best regards

Oliver

All modules are in stock again

Hi Mr. Oliver:

Many congratulations for what you achieved to DIYAUDIO from the sales of your PCB!

Here the modules I want:
+/- Power Supply Module
TDA1541A shunt regulator Module (x2)
Shunt regulator Module for add. +5V line
TDA1541A DAC Module
NL17SZ02 adapter pcb

Cheers,
Antonio

Oliver, that's awesome! I can't wait to hear this thing.

I have a question. I only have 12 Stealth diodes left. The +5v and -5v shunt supplies to the chip, can they be fed from 4x diodes, like a DC coupled unit, or is there some reason why I should isolate their earths completely and use 4x diodes each side?

Many thanks

Joined 2009
Paid Member
Oliver, that's awesome! I can't wait to hear this thing.

I have a question. I only have 12 Stealth diodes left. The +5v and -5v shunt supplies to the chip, can they be fed from 4x diodes, like a DC coupled unit, or is there some reason why I should isolate their earths completely and use 4x diodes each side?

Many thanks

My thoughts were to separate all lines. That includes the rectifier.
If you want, you could change it to a symmetrical design like in the DCB1 ;)

Update On Build

How is everyone getting on with there builds?

I thought i would post an update of my progress...

Here is an overview...looking similar to Oliver's ;)
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The +- Power Supplies...just awaiting the stealth diodes
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The Salas Shunt Regs...Completed :cool:

The master dac board finished. The slave dac board awaiting a Tda1541a, 74HC02 - NL17SZ02 adapter pcb and i will change 8 Oscon Sp for Oscon Sepc :) The Twisted Pair Spdif-I2s Board can be seen behind.

Tube-i-zator board is awaing the Outputcaps(i will use the claritycap MR 2.2uf caps i am using in my current cd player), Also awaiting stealth diodes and Tx2575 Cathode and I/V resistors :D

I have also ordered the HV Shunt Board...so that needs to be populated...And I have also ordered the C-Core transformer from AE Europe.

Still lots to do...but its getting there. I am also wondering how im gonna get all this into a case!!! Im actually thinking about making one out of wood.

Lets see/hear some updates on how others are getting on?

Hi Malka,

I have currently got a TDA board and a tube-I-zator board, part populated, but will receive the full set of shunt regs (-15, -5, +5, +5, +150) and a second TDA board this week. The difference with my project is that I'm not doing such massive banks of caps in the power supply. I think Oliver got a bit carried away there ;) I will use 6x 2,200uF Pannasonic FC caps (13,200uF) per rail which is P-L-E-N-T-Y enough (way more than you see on VERY expensive devices.) I will either point to point them, or make a PCB up.

I have a lot of parts but need to buy a ton of stuff still and am awaiting paypal funds to pay for it all - this project is going to be about £400 when finished I think, and I wasn't expecting that at all.

If the wife finds out, I'm in the sh*t!

I will post pics when I'm done, but in the meantime, I'd love to hear your listening impressions when you're up and running...

Last edited:
Thanks for your comments Antonio and Lucas, i will definitely keep you updated on how it sounds...but that wont be for a while yet!!!

I know what you mean Lucas...these projects always start out cheap..and end up costing a BOMB!!! Hope the wife doesnt find out!!!

Im not sure if i understand what your asking with regards the wago terminal blocks...but they are available in different sized blocks...2's, 3's, 4's etc..

Alon

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I think Oliver got a bit carried away there ;) I will use 6x 2,200uF Pannasonic FC caps (13,200uF) per rail which is P-L-E-N-T-Y enough (way more than you see on VERY expensive devices.) I will either point to point them, or make a PCB up.

Hi Lucas,

with the big capacitor value of the PSU, i followed a recommendation of Are Waagbø who tested a Borbely Audio Shunt in the audioXpress (February 2008).

The only capacitor is Panasonic FC, which has low ESR and low impedance. But you must have many of them paralleled.
I suggest minimum 20,000μF per rail for shunting 200mA, and 30,000μF for 300mA. Use as many as you can afford, which gives a more distinct and rock steady listening image.
The Panasonics have simply no comparison, with their ultra smooth frequency band and no coloring. You could, in fact, mix in some Sanyo MV–AX components, but not too many,
because they tend to sound a bit clinical. I have a drawer full of new Nichicon, ELNA Cerafine, ALS 30, PEH 169 /200 capacitors, and they all sounded bad.
And just paralleling the Panasonics with the other caps degraded the sound.

Are Waagbø - audioXpress February 2008

Joined 2009
Paid Member
How is everyone getting on with there builds?

I thought i would post an update of my progress...

Here is an overview...looking similar to Oliver's ;)

The +- Power Supplies...just awaiting the stealth diodes

The Salas Shunt Regs...Completed :cool:

The master dac board finished. The slave dac board awaiting a Tda1541a, 74HC02 - NL17SZ02 adapter pcb and i will change 8 Oscon Sp for Oscon Sepc :) The Twisted Pair Spdif-I2s Board can be seen behind.

Tube-i-zator board is awaing the Outputcaps(i will use the claritycap MR 2.2uf caps i am using in my current cd player), Also awaiting stealth diodes and Tx2575 Cathode and I/V resistors :D

I have also ordered the HV Shunt Board...so that needs to be populated...And I have also ordered the C-Core transformer from AE Europe.

Still lots to do...but its getting there. I am also wondering how im gonna get all this into a case!!! Im actually thinking about making one out of wood.

Lets see/hear some updates on how others are getting on?

Alon,

two things:

1st - don´t forget to make a small brige from the +5V line Analog to the +5V line Digital, otherwise the 74HC02 - NL17SZ02 adapter pcb has no power!

2nd - did you cancel the TB2 bridge on the Tube-I-zator? That´s the disused HV-Line if you use the HV-Shunt Reg. I couldn´t see it correctly on the photo.

I will post my Star-Grounding scheme later to prevent ground loops ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.