• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Waveguides and horns

From a non-techie, but still: I would add that pointing out a non-relation here says as little as pointing out the opposit; if there's no relation a good looking horn could just as well sound good as bad, so why the remark unless you're negatively biased?

Geddes has really nothing to gain and he has consistently been negative for years. Negative about everything that is not his own and he definitely has no chance in the style department. He actually thinks people buy for sceince over style :rolleyes:

He sold wavegeuides that looked home made for $400 :rolleyes: I asked why $400 once and he ranted on about thats what it cost...I called BS then and I was proven right by the offerings now.

I think we hurt his feelings when saying these are the best looking waveguides ;)

Last edited:
From a non-techie, but still: I would add that pointing out a non-relation here says as little as pointing out the opposit; if there's no relation a good looking horn could just as well sound good as bad, so why the remark unless you're negatively biased?

Again, correct, I should have keep this thought to myself.

Jacek - go ahead and sell the OS waveguide, I have no problem with that, I'm never going to do it.

Did you ever consider the fact that not everyone can read Polish? I have no idea what to do once I click on those links. You need a better method.

Put them on a website that you have access to and have them downloaded when clicked.

I have sent you this file (HolmImpulse zip archive with my 12"OSWG with/without foam) on the 8th of May.

M.

Last edited:
Hello,

The shape of the Iwata 300 is not chosen in order to look good.

It is simply the result of the effect of the oblate strain of the equidistant wavefronts ( = parallel wavefronts) the area of which follows an hypex law (T = 0.5 or 0.7) according to a linear variation -from throat to mouth- of the ratio between the curvilinear horizontal width and the curvilinear vertical height of the wavefronts (ratio variation from 1 to 4 from throat to mouth according to Iwata San for a medium frequency horn).

No additional hypothesis on the shape is used to calculate the horn.

It looks good and sounds good! (and no need for any bloody foam insert!)

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

What a shame that looking good and sounding good have no relationship to one another.

Oh, I think you may be overstating your position here. Looks do certainly factor into how most people perceive the sound of a loudspeaker. Behind a curtain as in your setup (as I understand it) obviously a non-issue, but with speakers in the living room, it's a biggie for your average person.

SEOS-18 horizontal directivity, 10deg step.

Attachments

• SEOS-18_Hdir.gif
    SEOS-18_Hdir.gif
    56.6 KB · Views: 942
Could you guys help me out for a minute. I see a disconnect between the measurements and the Directivity Sonogram on the SEOS-18 Horizontal plots. The color polars can't be from the posted data in the plots. If you look at the on axis response there is a peak at about 2.5K where it is +5 and at 10K it's 10db down, so we have a 15db spread.

That's not what is in the Directivity Sonogram. So what's up?? Is the Sonogram a plot of an equalized set-up with a crossover or is that from a different horn?? How much smoothing is used in the Sonograms??

Thanks Rob:)

Hello,

The shape of the Iwata 300 is not chosen in order to look good.

It is simply the result of the effect of the oblate strain of the equidistant wavefronts ( = parallel wavefronts) the area of which follows an hypex law (T = 0.5 or 0.7) according to a linear variation -from throat to mouth- of the ratio between the curvilinear horizontal width and the curvilinear vertical height of the wavefronts (ratio variation from 1 to 4 from throat to mouth according to Iwata San for a medium frequency horn).

No additional hypothesis on the shape is used to calculate the horn.

It looks good and sounds good! (and no need for any bloody foam insert!)

Best regards from Paris, France

Jean-Michel Le Cléac'h

Thanks!

I have 3 IWATAs now also 2 JBL CDs, 2 BMS 4590p CDs and just found some TAD TD-4001s that will be here this week..I should have some fun measurements and listening tests. Im curious to hear all the differences.

Also will compare the IWATA against the QSC HPR152i + BMS 4550 design.

Bass will be handled by JBL 2226s.

Oh, yeah they look very, very cool but I need to design a nice box to hold them because I do not like the look of open horns (I know, everyone is a little different ;) )