• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

Anything 4 or over sounds great to me. I normally build preamps with 6 inputs but in truth never use more than 4.

FWIW, a rotary switch would be a nice way to go. If you use a 2 pole 4, 5 or 6way switch, but don't switch the grounds, you can use the other pole to switch some LEDs - handy for indicating which input is selected. Having it off board allows for easier casework, more ways of mounting the switch etc.

However, if its a huge hassle, I repeat what I have found before: a simple rotary switch sounds just as good as a relay based selector. I know that may be at variance with others here.

I etched my board tonight for a ligthspeed type attenuator but using a teddyreg to give a super quiet stable supply. I am now in a quandry! I have this nice B1 board from pass sitting here waiting to be built but then theres this group buy!!

What do I do!?

Fran

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
woodturner-fran said:

I repeat what I have found before: a simple rotary switch sounds just as good as a relay based selector.

I have this nice B1 board from pass sitting here waiting to be built but then theres this group buy!!

What do I do!?

Fran

Original B1 boards?
Maybe keep them unsoldered as collectors items, with active devices ;)

How about this guys? sorry for the super sized photos.. just want you to see it clearly.

B1-7.png

b1-silk2-1.jpg

thanks to all of you too..its still a long way to go..:D

looks like from the current reactions of the other members.. it seems that it makes sense if we could just separate the B1 and shunt psu..I, same with the other members is very interested with the psu section..

what do you think guys?

P.S. if someone know how to create a wiki page.. please please start a wiki page for this groupbuy.. i've been trying all day but it seems i can't find a way to do so...

thnks

woodturner-fran said:

I etched my board tonight for a ligthspeed type attenuator but using a teddyreg to give a super quiet stable supply. I am now in a quandry! I have this nice B1 board from pass sitting here waiting to be built but then theres this group buy!!

What do I do!?

Fran

Fran,

At the moment I am using a Lightspeed as the volume control on the B1 Buffer, excellent sound - so I suggest finishing it.:smash:

I am waiting for more LDRs and then this new B1 board (which is looking better hour by hour) and I will then put them together in the same way.

Alan

Wow this is really moving along and looks great, kudos to the design team!
My issue is that it has now gone well past anything that I need, or want. I truly wanted an nice swell sounding buffer to complete my system I already have selector and attenuator, etc and was hoping to drop this in there.
I was really happy with the original. Does anyone else think this too? Perhaps we could see how many are and get a "splinter" GB going.
These are just my thoughts and do not in anyway want to take away from the great work going on!!

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
samoloko said:
Salas
have you tried PS section working range of your design I have seen that you are using 37 V out
So from your experience Is 5 - 40 V out normal voltage range of this design and also what Is current range

Not with leds, I haven't. Adding features, using it as a solo shunt, re routing it, is beyond my prototypes, from there on its in the hands and likings of the GB-PCB team, and I can't spec anything or know it will be working flawlessly as a whole. It has gone public now, looks like all the things wanted to be done are 99% feasible without problems, but the way it goes I would suggest that a working prototype is made and tested first to avoid the odd gnd buzz or something not responding. Just my 2C.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
billyk said:
Wow this is really moving along and looks great, kudos to the design team!
My issue is that it has now gone well past anything that I need, or want. I truly wanted an nice swell sounding buffer to complete my system I already have selector and attenuator, etc and was hoping to drop this in there.
I was really happy with the original. Does anyone else think this too? Perhaps we could see how many are and get a "splinter" GB going.
These are just my thoughts and do not in anyway want to take away from the great work going on!!

The reactions towards a complete design are positive. Maybe you can send a PM to xaudiox for the files of the previous "buffer/power supply" version if you promise to use them only for yourself. I have no idea if he is willing to share them.

The project is indeed moving to a complete PCB or 2 PCB's with all parts and sections on them.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Salas said:

It has gone public now, looks like all the things wanted to be done are 99% feasible without problems, but the way it goes I would suggest that a working prototype is made and tested first to avoid the odd gnd buzz or something not responding. Just my 2C.

Agreed for 100 %. Maybe xaudiox can comment too. It can not be that about 200 PCB's wil be made without having been tested.