• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for DC coupled B1 buffer with shunt PSUs

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
For both source switching and muting: Finder 30.22SH, Tamakisawa RY5W-K, NAIS DS2Y or similar are easy to find and they're very good quality. Most manufacturers make an equivalent type of this relay which makes things more easy. Differences are contact material so they are available in cheap and expensive versions. They all have the same footprint. They are available in 5V, 6V etc. When the design uses a mechanical switch ( possibly combined with BS170 mosfets that switch the relays ) almost any voltage can be used ( 5V to 24V ).

Standard telecom relays with gold plated silver contacts. One can not go wrong with these for audio signal switching.

As a bonus I might be able to source the Finder ones for a good price ;)

Another suggestion : when relays are used the contacts of the inputs on the relays that are not selected can be grounded via a 1 k resistor to avoid crosstalk.

thanks for the suggestions.

just want to asked some questions before i proceed, about powering the relays. if we use 5v relays and lm7805 regulator, where do you want to get the supply for it? at the output of the shunt (+V) or at the rectifier section (VCC)?

@Ryssen, thanks. please send the list to my email: xxaudioxx @ gmail.com

I've tried to create a WIKI page but it seems i dont know how to.. if anyone can start a wiki page, it could manage things more easily..

thanks guys

xaudiox said:
just want to asked some questions before i proceed, about powering the relays. if we use 5v relays and lm7805 regulator, where do you want to get the supply for it? at the output of the shunt (+V) or at the rectifier section (VCC)?
My 2 C:
From AC, only one diode > 470uF cap > regulator ("L" type, TO92) followed by a small 10uF. That's it!

xaudiox said:

I've tried to create a WIKI page but it seems i dont know how to.. if anyone can start a wiki page, it could manage things more easily..

thanks guys

Just add 4 boards for me please
sk

I haven't looked at the original muting relay by Salas - but I have used the one by amb where the relay is time delayed as a cap charges through a resistor. Is that the kind of system proposed?

I have no great desire for source switching as I have had a bad experience once with a relay source - found an ordinary cheapo 2p6p rotary swtich sounded better. But I'm sure I can bypass it if its added to the board!!

I think most seem to use gold plated relays - see the darwin source selector from twisted pear audio as an example.

Fran

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
xaudiox said:

thanks guys

Make that a standard 7805 with 1 diode from AC followed by a 470 or 1000 uF cap and a 10 uF after the reg. The 78Lxx versions tend to oscillate more easy and the TO220 version is in stock everywhere so my choice would be standard 7805. Make sure to load it with a power LED and resistor.

How many inputs should it have ? 3 inputs, 4 inputs ? I guess everyone has other wishes but a decision should be made beforehand to avoid you changing the design every day. I would say to cater for 5 or 6 inputs. That will suit most and when they are not needed one can just omit the relays that are not needed.

The relay section should be in the right upper corner where the inputs are located normally. The buffer section could be placed under the relay section with either a volume potentiometer ( oops, I did it again ) at that spot or just an empty space when the potentiometer is mounted at the front panel. The power supply section could be at the left side where the transformer is also located normally. That way wiring is kept at a minimum and it will look neat too. Simplest would be to use a rotary switch for switching the relays. Just a 5V line to a switch for the number of relays that are to be switched. It will add only wiring to the switch. I think controllers and other added electronics are out of context with this simple buffer.

Maybe the output tracks can be located between the power supply section and the rest ( i.e. in the middle ) with ground tracks left and right. I suppose the outputs could be routed all the way towards the upper ( back ) side too. At about 20 mm from the inputs they won't do any harm. That way there won't be any wiring crossing the board.

Or just keep it like it is as you are the guy doing the work. With people like me the design will be frustrated at some point and it will never be finished :D On the other hand the design seems to mature and it is likely to become the coolest B1 buffer on earth...

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hi, I think a simple rotary switch is the right choice that fits the character of this buffer : simplicity. Also an MCU will radiate RF from the clock. For design purposes I would leave the rotary switch external. PCB mounted types are an option buy they're harder to find and they're less flexible to fit on the PCB depending on the number of relays that have to be switched.

You are the designer. If you think that 4 inputs is enough then that will be enough. We have to adapt to the effort you put in this. Otherwise we should design it ourselves IMO.

BTW I would like 3 boards too.