• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

F5 pcb group buy...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am currently assembling an F5 (one channel already working - yeah!!!) and never heard about first or 2nd F5 version. Maybe you are talking about one of the multiple itinerations that the design took.
AFAIK, there was a balanced operation version and that multiple output devices version.

I am currently using Peter Daniel's boards, which are more compact because pad sizes are designed for Caddock MK132 resistors. If you are going to use standard axial 1/4W resistors, they won't fit without bending. I am building the circuit with the Caddocks, no thermistor for temp-co and no current limiting circuitry.
Will post some pictures later :D

Regards,
Regi

Here are some pictures.
It is dual mono construction, one PSU per channel, each one loaded with 4x 22.000uF of MLytic AG capacitors in CRC configuration. The amp adds a total of 176.000uF and 2x 250VA toroids.
Diodes are IR Hexfred ultrafast and ultrasoft recovery. They are mounted on the heatsink too for a total of 8 per channel.

Resistors are Caddock MK132 and Mills. Output devices are IRFP9240 and IRFP240 from International Rectifier. I think that almost everybody has used them from other manufacturers, like Toshiba or Fairchild, has someone tried IR?

For wiring I am using just strapped AC power cords, because I have lots of them and because they have relatively "high" copper gauge.

Attachments

• a.jpg
    a.jpg
    215 KB · Views: 677
  • b.jpg
    b.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 665
  • c.jpg
    c.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 648
  • d.jpg
    d.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 645
  • puentes.jpg
    puentes.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 618
I forgot to say that this is the most silent amplifier I have built. All my previous gainclones were almost dead, but placing the ear next to the tweeter it could be possible to hear a little bit noise. Now it isn't there even touching the tweeter with my ear :D

Still have to finish it, let it burn in quite some hours and make serious listenings, but after a pair of hours playing one channel all I can say is that it is very detailed, sometimes too much, but I like that new sensation. It's like "ehhh, I don't want to hear THAT! and THAT neither!" he he he.

Regarding that, you are quite right, differences in gain are obvious, I am considering a 28dB against 15dB from the F5.

On another matter, I am a bit afraid of DC coupling it. I never know to what am I going to hook it up (DC wise), and even having it in a controlled enviroment, you never know what kind of transients are you gonna get by means of shutting down the DAC or the preamp or whatever. So, what value of input capacitor is an acceptable value? Keep in mind that in this projecto cost is not a concern, but space and funtionality can be.
By having 100k input to ground, I can suppose that 2uF can be enought, but should I place it after or before the 1k input series resistor? Any recommendation regarding the value of the input cap?
I know this is alway a subjective question but I have to ask about it. Is there a cap model known to work well in the F5? This is a futile question, I know it. Just want to heard something from the voice of the experience :Dç

Thanks, regards,
Regi

Are boards still available ? I'd like to make a dual mono as shown above.

I just placed the order for more F5 amp boards and they will be available next week, PS boards are available as well.

The current price is $18 per stereo set of F5 and $20 for dual voltage power supply pcb, shipping included, paypal payment to my e-mail address posted here: DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

More info on PS boards here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/149672-universal-power-supply-pcb.html

Attachments

• f53.jpg
    f53.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 1,369
  • f52.jpg
    f52.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 1,381
  • f5.jpg
    f5.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 1,407
  • f54.jpg
    f54.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,342
  • f55.jpg
    f55.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 1,336
  • f56.jpg
    f56.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 839
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I just placed the order for more F5 amp boards and they will be available next week, PS boards are available as well.

The current price is $18 per stereo set of F5 and $20 for dual voltage power supply pcb, shipping included, paypal payment to my e-mail address posted here: DIY Chip Amplifier Kits, PCB's, Components and Information.

More info on PS boards here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/audio-sector/149672-universal-power-supply-pcb.html

Glad to hear more boards will be available. Looking at your fourth pic across the top, the one that shows th amp in seperate pieces, I notice the wires going to your diode boards are fairly thick. I found the holes in the diode boards to be very small. How did you fit such large wires? Reaming out the holes? I was afraid that might mess up the contact to the pad?

Thanks,

Russellc

Looking at your fourth pic across the top, the one that shows th amp in seperate pieces, I notice the wires going to your diode boards are fairly thick. I found the holes in the diode boards to be very small. How did you fit such large wires?

According to 300VA Plitron datasheet: http://shop.plitron.com/specs/0770XX201.pdf those are 14ga wires and this is what I used without any need to enlarge rectifier board holes.

Anything bigger is really not needed. However, you can always make the holes larger but make sure wires are soldered to pads on both side of the board.

Attachments

• diodes.jpg
    diodes.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 775
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.