• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Gb: F5 Pcb

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi guys - I have been really busy with moving arrangements, so I have not been able to send the last orders before now. If you have ordered, you'll receive a confirmation when I have sent your boards.
I have also closed down the order site. I hope I will be able to supply boards again when I get home, but I am not sure I will have time to do the packing - I'll figure out something. :D

A quick question please.

Are the holes directly under the LED position used to attach a diode to prevent reverse voltage? I normally solder the diode to the legs of the LED but it will be much neater if I can solder it on the board.

Led-1.jpg

Thanks

Answered by mail also. Sure you can solder the LED directly to the board. The reason for two symbols is because you might prefer to use either - they are in parallel.

Hi

No, the LED will be mounted on the front panel. Can I solder a diode under the LED solder pads to prevent reverse voltages? (I cant see any reason not too)

I have only ever used a diode on LEDs when adding a separate winding on a transformer. Are they required if I am supplying the LED with DC rather than AC?

Last edited:
Hi Ron

Possibly the wrong choice of words in no particular order ;)

In the past I have created a low voltage AC supply by adding a separate winding around a toroidal transformer. I guess I should have said the diode wired in parallel with the LED creates a simple half wave rectifier! :)

LED2.jpg

Yes Andrew,
I too knew that a diode could be used in that configuration. However, not all of us are as knowledgeable as you (I'm not anywhere close) and I'm sure someone who just happened to read the above A/C reference would try it on a LED. (No Sarcasm intended)
We need to think of everyone who might read our posts and their experience level. Which is why we repeat ourselves on the Grounding / Neutral differences.
It was not all that long ago I was a total newbie and didn't know LEDs were D/C only. I've lost the total part but I'm still a newbie. :)

Thanks for the pic and explanation Tripmaster. How do you know how many windings to put on the torrid? Ratio based? Trial and Error?

Ron

Yes Andrew,
I too knew that a diode could be used in that configuration. However, not all of us are as knowledgeable as you (I'm not anywhere close) and I'm sure someone who just happened to read the above A/C reference would try it on a LED. (No Sarcasm intended)
We need to think of everyone who might read our posts and their experience level. Which is why we repeat ourselves on the Grounding / Neutral differences.
It was not all that long ago I was a total newbie and didn't know LEDs were D/C only. I've lost the total part but I'm still a newbie. :)

Thanks for the pic and explanation Tripmaster. How do you know how many windings to put on the torrid? Ratio based? Trial and Error?

Ron

Hi Ron

It was trial and error. The number of turns required for the desired voltage will depend on the size of the transformer. I think I'll just tap off of the PCBs , but as the transformer is at the front of the case it may look neater in terms of cable length.

I have gotten a few mails about availability of my boards and I'll answer here to everyone. I am currently in the process of moving back to Denmark and most of my stuff including boards have been shipped by sea, so I'll only get them back in the middle of August. At that time I'll be able to sell the remaining boards.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.