• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Teres Turntable bearing 2008 group buy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks Bill - it seems appropriate to use inches, as per the original specs for the LP established in 1948 by Columbia (CBS).

I measured up my existing TT (Linn LP12 with Rega arm) and the Rega tonearm will allow a 14" platter. Longer tonearms will permit an even larger platter - depending on the drive system as you point out.

Here's some food for thought: Journal bearings exhibit highest stability, highest rigidity, and lowest friction with a modicum of side loading. I expect that this is partly responsible for the sonic differences between different drive arrangements. Of course, one way to apply a side load is to tilt the platter/bearing axis by, say, 15 degrees. This requires that the centre of gravity be midway between the journals - something that is possible with the Teres bearing/platter.

There are other advantages, but I'll leave that open for discussion.

Cheers,
Mike

It was discussed in the original thread where to place the drive belt on the side of the platter, I believe they determined it made a minute difference and was left to to personal taste. I believe in symmetry and probably will place it in the center. However the pulley I purchased with my motor is the string version I may opt for a tape pulley. I am talking to an machinist about making flanges for the motor housing. record clamps and feet for my table. I may inquire about quantity and offer them for group sales.

Bill

record clamp...

I can't remember where I found this pic, maybe in the archives in Teres thread but the info may be informative if you are having one machined.

Attachments

• screwdnclamp_1_tt.jpg
    screwdnclamp_1_tt.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 235
move this to the new thread

I'm in for a penny...

I'll be making a wooden clamp. Are there any dimensions available for the above screw-down clamp depiction?

My challenge will be selecting a suitable threaded insert, also getting it properly centered.
I'm thinking of improving the adhesion of a screw-in insert by buttering it with epoxy.

Bill
Thanks for providing the specs for the Teres platter.I got the motor controller and Maxon motor from the group buy and two aluminum pulleys,one for string and one for tape.
I will be very interested in a record clamp and custom feet ,possibly we could include a motor pod.
Regards
George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.