iBIBk developement thread. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th February 2007, 05:09 AM   #1
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Default iBIBk developement thread.

Since I am very interested in this design and it's hard to pick out the posts concerning this design in the other BIB thread I thought I would start a thread exclusively for the iBIBk.
Old 8th February 2007, 11:59 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi G!
Good idea, otherwise posts will drown in the original thread.
I've posted some questions before and move it here.

Dave, Greg, Martin, Scott or who ever has experience of K-sluts
If there are benefits with an outside k-slot, what about inner baffle?

I still have not started with my Sonido BIB's, so should it be same area with a slot as a normal BIB fold? Tough question maybe. The answer, I suspect, will be "BUILD AND LISTEN"

Cheers
Old 8th February 2007, 10:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
I think it's more "Build, listen, tweak, listen, tweak listen.....". I like the building and listening part, but quickly get bored with the tweaking and finishing part mainly because my quest is for that unachievable perfection, not optimizing to the lowest compromise.

I'm only posting to this thread because I built the iBIBk for my 127's. I do plan to tweak and measure them, but I've never measured anything before, so I'm waiting for my active XO software provider to launch measuring software that will directly tie in to the XO program instead of learning another program in the meantime.
Old 9th February 2007, 11:49 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi John!
Quote:
I think it's more "Build, listen, tweak, listen, tweak listen.....".
No doubt about it, the damping I have now, in my BIB's, was "finalized" after, roughly 15 different damping strategies/material. Maybe not so much but I've learned to stop tweaking. When I'm can play most of my records without getting headache or being annoyed by resonances etc..... it's good.

There's simply not possible to have all of it when it comes to music reproduction at home.
Hmm, wait a minute..... of course when perfection in sound is needed, I use my Ibanez 6-string.
Note that I wrote sound, not the skill

Cheers
Old 9th February 2007, 11:53 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hmm.. started to ramble in the previous post.

John, I forgot to ask if the iBIBk you've built, is outer baffle slot
or inner?

Regards
Peter
Old 9th February 2007, 02:41 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to johninCR Send a message via MSN to johninCR Send a message via Yahoo to johninCR
Quote:
Originally posted by peterbrorsson
Hmm.. started to ramble in the previous post.

John, I forgot to ask if the iBIBk you've built, is outer baffle slot
or inner?

Regards
Peter
My K-slot is at the bottom of the rear panel, though I'm sure on the side would be fine. On both side might be worth experimenting with, since I have a feeling with the terminus so close to the floor that more "breathing" area may be warranted.
Old 9th February 2007, 02:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
My K-slot is at the bottom of the rear panel, though I'm sure on the side would be fine.
Yepp, I knew as soon I posted it would be misunderstood. My fault not being clear.
I was thinking of to have the K-slot on the divider inside the box. (the bend)

Regarding the slot on the sides, I'm not sure it will work. With my poor understanding, it's better loaded if it's backwards firing. Shure some more knowledge is around this forum who can clearify that.

Cheers
Old 10th February 2007, 09:16 PM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by peterbrorsson
Regarding the slot on the sides, I'm not sure it will work. With my poor understanding, it's better loaded if it's backwards firing. Shure some more knowledge is around this forum who can clearify that.
At the wavelengths of interest, 2 half-slots on the sides should not seem all that different from one on the back... being able to push it back against the wall will give the terminus maximum help.

dave
Old 11th February 2007, 04:18 AM   #9
jamikl is online now jamikl  Australia
diyAudio Member

I've been reading and re reading all that I can find on the Karlson Coupler. It seem to me that it may well work better on a BIB type enclosure than the essentially bandpass type enclosure that he fitted it to. He also designed and patented a type of horn coupler in about 1980 but I have no references as to how this worked.

If the theory is to do with resonances in a tube then the BIB is a tapered tube and is closer in design to the theory. It might work best if the closed part of the bib was used a compression chamber and the speaker was mounted as far down as it would just fit. More like a front loaded horn. The slot could be to the front then with the open end exiting at floor level. Does this make sense. If I had a job I would try it out. there was one version made that is more like a folded TL terminated with a Karlosn slot but again not much about how effective it was.
jamikl
Old 11th February 2007, 10:09 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Yes, it makes perfect sense. The trick with Karlsons always appears to be in the tuning as it's currently very tricky to get the slot tuned to the correct frequency. But from the graphs etc I've seen, they potentially offer some real benefts. They've had an unjustifiably poor reputation & I'm all in favour of exploring them more fully.

In some ways the BIB already does work on a compression basis -it's a TQWT, and those are in many ways a branch of horn design with linear taper and of particular relevence to this case: end loaded. They're also So=0 for maximum possible pipe-gain. In most the driver is as high up as possible -for some, it's actually higher & needs a spacer (suprabaffle or similar) for the magnet to clear the internal baffle. So it lends itself to playing in this way.

Hide this!Advertise here!