Tone Tubby Alnico 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
i'm planning to modify my open baffle speakers and intending to use the Tone Tubby as midrange speaker.
Currently i'm running an Eminence Beta12CX Damar coated with a B&C DE25 Compression horn driver. Basically a Bastanis Prometheus style system.
The Eminence is running full range and the DE25 is crossed over with a simple 6dB crossover at 0.8uF.
For low frequencies a subwoofer is supporting this setup until about 100Hz.
This works pretty well, but i think, compared to my Lowthers the Eminence is colouring the sound at some frequencies.

The plan is now to replace the Eminence with the Tone Tubby driver as i have only heard good things about it. Also Dick Olsher had some positv feedback with regard to Hifi sound.

Does anybody have already experience with this driver ? Any comments are welcome ...

I would say absolutely spring for the Alnico magnets. I have a feeling you would be very happy. Consider it all a gift to Open Baffle. The frequency easily extends past the critical midband, making implementation of a simple tweeter quite easy. I am really impressed, encouraged, and motivated to try these now.

Has anyone found them for under 250.00 ..?

I have been looking hard at these for a week or so, I am a guitar player also, so not all will be lost...very intresting indeed. I am actually hinting hard for my next OB drivers to try at a 500.00 limit . these fit the bill..

Apart from a published "20db" notch before roll off I would say they are a dead match. My thinking is that with the TT Alnico, no contouring is really needed, and the Alnico magnet is the cherry on the cake, extension abit higher, roll off abit more gradual. Beyond that, TT have staked their entire future on these drivers, Eminence cannot claim such focus; as such, I see the TT as a better value, overall. Just my inclination right now.

Knowing the hemp tone, and the Alnico difference, I would say I need some of those, this is a combo that strikes me as too good to be true, --especially for the flea amp loving openly baffled, which will save anyone some bucks as well...

I am even more interested in knowing the FR of the TT Alnico 10" - still a big diameter driver for home audio, and likely to extend significantly higher than the 12, which is the intention of a 10 inch guitar speaker.

dmason said:

I am even more interested in knowing the FR of the TT Alnico 10" - still a big diameter driver for home audio, and likely to extend significantly higher than the 12, which is the intention of a 10 inch guitar speaker.

Exactly what I thought lastnight when I was looking at the link for the 12" and I did not mind that the 10" would save some $ also.

Lin

good, so there seems to be some interest into that speaker.
I have ordered today two 12 inch H1E speakers. I hope to have them in the next two weeks.

So lets try to get the optimum out of it in the meantime.

Design considerations :

0. I needs to be a open baffle design
1. I want to have a small baffle., max. 1,20 x 45cm
2. I do not want to run low frequencies as open baffle
- why ? I want to meet point 1
3. I want ONE speaker to cover 100Hz - 5000Khz as this reflects most of the music information
4. I want to have very smooth high frequency extension no shooting or sharpness

#1 Should not be a problem as long as two subwoofers are used, because 100Hz is already critical using one sub. You might actually hear it.
#2 I will use one Delta 12LF in a sealed box as subwoofer per channel as i have them on hand.
#3 As i already tested the design with the Beta 12CX and this speaker already works pretty well. The choice for the upgrade is now the Tone Tubby 12 H1E speaker. You can find the frequency response on the website from Dick, see link in previous post.
For sure a kind of notch filter will be needed.
#4 The horn driver needs to cover ~5000Hz until 20000Hz.
Preferable to metal diaphragma.
Choices B&C DE25 or BMS driver have a very well reputation and are not as expensive as a TAD driver for example

V Bro,

Sorry, brain drain; what I meant was an interest the upper frequency useable limit in the 10 inch, because this is the reason for 10 inch guitar speakers. If 5K for the 12, possibly 7.5K for the 10, perhaps wishful thinking, but that is the idea.

As for notch filters, if you reread Lynn's piece, they apparently were able to completely remove those notches with felt attached to the inside of the basket legs, that they were found to be produced by reflection. :D

7.5K huh? Would be nice to get some measurements... I was thinking of building Visaton 'nobox', at the moment using ESL panels....The enthusiasm about these drivers makes it tempting for me to inquire more about them, but the information (measurements) seems hard to get by on the 10"...

The phrase, "wishful thinking," might apply here. If it can reach that high, the rest is easy. The Tubbsters measure with their Mach II Tympano-cochleometers, mostly using a Les Paul stringed, Hi-Z source, for testing. They might not actually know, in other words...

BMS have two brand new polyester diaphragm c/d's which look pretty nice, and they are, at $45 ea., two screw bolt on, these could be used without waveguides quite effectively.. great for DIY...

www.bmspro.com

Ok, nice driver, probably awesome for the money...

Thanks for the link there...

But I don't think the whole midband will be covered by one driver with this coax driver....(coax=woof and tweet in one....)

I like durability and got a hemp-fibre shirt for my birthday over 12 years ago and it still looks new! Thats what I like about the TT and seriously consider buying a couple...

I called on the 10's & am thinking hard..

The fs@ 102. I think & Qts @ 1.6 is what I recall reading,, can this be true..? If I can get it to 100 on OB I am very game/ I also high pass the tube amp @ 100, wonder what efficiency would be..I can sqeeze the HE1 12's but the 10's look very, very intresting. My room is not huge..Dang , what to do.. I am after NO filters & NO EQ at this point.. I have the basss augmentation handled from 150 down if needed, but 70 down would be much prefered. My wife says get the damn TT's..!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I will leep on it again.

10" specs.

Driver Properties
Name: TT Alnico 10
Type: Standard one-way driver
Fs = 107.32 Hz
Fsa = 52.36 Hz
BWs = 12.72 Hz
Vas = 24.5 Liters
Cms = 1.28E-04 m/N
Mmd = 16.8 g
MMr = 5.4 g
BL = 6.78 Tesla/m
Efficiency 94.64 dB lw/lm

Qms = 11.13
Qes = 1.58
Qts = 1.39
Re = 6.5 Ohms
Zmaxs = 130.2 Ohms
2.83-V SPL = 94.64 dB
1-W SPL = 95.1 dB
Kr = 0.000
Xr = 0.000
Ki = 0.000
Xi = 0.000

The goal of using Neodymium magnets in pro audio components is to reduce weight, greater gauss per pound... Drivers come in really light, and this substantially reduces the overall weight of things like large scale, flown-array PA systems these days, making life easier on roadie's backs, and less cargo weight in the trucks reduces gas consumption, which lowers touring cost, which increase profits, etc.

...but Alnico and hemp is where the Tone is... and with single ended tube amps, just luxury living for your ears.

One other thing, if you order the drivers, you can choose from --I believe three cones, and one or two of them are "dipped" in some enzyme solution which results in increased high frequency response, so it makes sense to me to order cones that have first been dipped, before applied, and fried. My thinking is that if you were to try a pair, possibly order one each of the 12" AND the 10" -battered and dipped version in Alnico, this represents getting the most out of a Tone Tubby driver for open baffle. See which sound you might prefer... If the stock 12 inch goes 5-5.5KHz, I can see the dipped 10 inch going to 7.5KHz quite easily.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.