Tone Tubby Alnico 12

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2012
Paid Member
ER Audio's ESL Mini Panels in OBs"

Or an OB tweeter (dipole) like an ESL or ribbon
right? I think if you take off the chamber from a dometweeter with drilled polecore/dampened chamber it can also be used as dipole, not?

Here's what I've been thinking of using above the Tone Tubby Alnicos in
bi-amped OBs.
Mini Panels

Not that expensive, pre-assembled and Rob claims they do down to 200Hz.
Should be easy to cross with the Tubbys. Yes?
http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/prod_b5_man.pdf

Any drawbacks or special precautions? I'd be using them with a pair of these subs
Rythmik Audio servo subwoofer 12" F12G

Last edited:
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Tone Tubby 12" Alnicos as Sealed MF drivers?

i'm planning to modify my open baffle speakers and intending to use the Tone Tubby as midrange speaker. ...For low frequencies a subwoofer is supporting this setup until about 100Hz.....The plan is now to replace the Eminence with the Tone Tubby driver as i have only heard good things about it. Also Dick Olsher had some positv feedback with regard to Hifi sound.Does anybody have already experience with this driver ? Any comments are welcome ...

I would say absolutely spring for the Alnico magnets. I have a feeling you would be very happy. Consider it all a gift to Open Baffle. The frequency easily extends past the critical midband, making implementation of a simple tweeter quite easy. I am really impressed, encouraged, and motivated to try these now.

If Dick Olsher and Lynn Olson The 12" Alnico Tone Tubby think highly of the TT 12" Alnico Red for hi-fi, then enough said in my book. Indeed, if only I had the room for using a pair of them as the LF driver in open baffles, like Jon Ver Halen has Tiny Alnico Open Baffle , but I just don't have the room for OBs.

There's no doubt that its the Alnico magnet that makes the overall sound so attractive to ears like Olsher's & Olson's, Gary Dahl's and probably everyone whose heard Gary's system. It uses a pair of GPA Altec 416-8Bs in Gary's 3 cu. ft. sealed boxes.
http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/downloads/416-8B Spec Sheet.pdf
But here's my question: Has anyone used and enjoyed the sound of the TT 12" Alnico as a midrange driver in a sealed box? I'd like to use them with a pair of SEAS T35 Alnico tweeters https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-exotic-t35-x3-06-tweeter-with-alnico-magnet/ And bi-amp them with Nelson Pass's B4 crossover FIRST WATT B4

But look at the FR curves that Lynn did on the TT and the T35's curve at Madisound; do you think they will blend smoothly enough?

Then for below the Tubbys' I thought of a pair of 12" sealed Rythmik servo subs, BUT with paper cones, due to the necessarily high turnover frequency Rythmik Audio • Servo subwoofer products (do a word search "paper" on that page and read about crossing @ ~ 80Hz), though I might have them built by Jim Salk https://www.salksound.com/salkrythmik - home.htm

How do you think this would all sound in a 12' x 14' room?

Last edited:
I just love the detailed, open and fast sound from TT12.
I made this dipole speaker for my cousin to his home office:

15" Beyma/Hypex DIY sub
TT12 acoustic high pass at 70 Hz, second order low pass at ca 300 Hz
Lowther PM6A second order high pass and a notch filter

LLVVN5v.jpg

Joined 2012
Paid Member
I just love the detailed, open and fast sound from TT12.
I made this dipole speaker for my cousin to his home office:

15" Beyma/Hypex DIY sub
TT12 acoustic high pass at 70 Hz, second order low pass at ca 300 Hz
Lowther PM6A second order high pass and a notch filter

But you must have at least 3 or 4 feet of totally empty space behind that OB. My left OB wouldn't have more than 2.5 ft, and practically zero on both of the sides. Sealed speakers are probably more forgiving than any other speaker design. So I am hoping that if I make the sealed box for the TT 12" Alnico ~ 2.5 cu. ft. that I would get low IM distortion down to around 100Hz, where the paper coned Rythmik subs could then takeover. A pair of SEAS Alnico T35 tweeters are expensive. But with a First Watt B4 crossover, blending them around 1.5kHz might be a lot less risky than do so passively. But would I still need a notch filter? Please advise.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
it is a little bit under 3 feet on that picture. My experience is that minimum 80 cm behind is OK. From sidewalls it is more forgiving with close placement.
Are you sure about OBs having no problem being very close to the sidewalls? The left side of the one in your photo is close but the right side must have at least 6 feet of space diagonally between it and the rear wall-all the way over to where your sub is. My tiny room won't allow any of that, left side or right side. I can't trash my 32" CRT TV for a 2.63" deep 40" diag. Smart LED HDTV - All TVs Sony Store - Sony US because its 6.5" too wide. That's why SEAS T35 HF and sealed Tone Tubby 12" Alnico MF drivers seem to be the only option.

Joined 2012
Paid Member
are the alnico versions clearly better than ferrite motors?
Though I've yet to hear any Alnico drivers (maybe I did from an old TV set from my youth that had them), veteran speaker designer Lynn Olson probably has the most documented experience here with the very unique and "magical” sounding GPA Altec 416 http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/100392-beyond-ariel-781.html He also had high praise for the Tone Tubby 12” Alnico The 12" Alnico Tone Tubby

Jim Salk uses this alnico tweeter https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.c...-exotic-t35-x3-06-tweeter-with-alnico-magnet/ and another SEAS driver in one of his >$6.5K custom systems. Jim’s building a pair of 416s for me in Gary Dahl's 3 cu. ft. sealed boxes. I will bi-amp them with a pair of ESLs designed by Sound Lab’s Roger West.

So it think it’s quite safe to say that (under hung) Alnico magnets do make a large contribution to the character of the sound of these drivers. But cone material (i.e. hemp, in the case of the TT) and suspension are no less important factors.

Last edited:
I've heard Alnico good and mediocre - would even put EV's physically large motor SP12 in the latter category but Lafayette's SK58 coax in the former - I did like D140 for bass better than K140 . Cannabis Rex is cheap and cheerful with a lively midrange - not sure about Lil' Buddy which I have but have not evaluated. Cobalt or not - that's a high price for a tweeter.

I've got 416 = nice - 421 with ferrite aren't shabby either other than needing the aluminum dome damped

here's a blurry sideshot of the SK58 paper (~2" IIRC) cone tweeter's chunky alnico motor - it has very good sound imo
M7mO079.jpg

Last edited:
good to see some bits outta you, Freddyi!

heya freddy -- good to "see you Out There kickin'" (even if we can't kick as high anymore...

One thing we're all "talking-around" is the Producer vs. Re-Producer of sounds.

I don't know the numbers, but I'm _sure_ I'm in the minority on this board and that gets to the point and/or MY choice.

Tone.

Faithful? sure, good-luck to ya. this is my Favorite audio-word-EVER (and it functions as simple Quick-sort between camps)--ready?

"Accurate"

Please-discuss : )

Be-back wearing flame-pants in a jiff.

I've heard Alnico good and mediocre - would even put EV's physically large motor SP12 in the latter category but Lafayette's SK58 coax in the former - I did like D140 for bass better than K140 . Cannabis Rex is cheap and cheerful with a lively midrange - not sure about Lil' Buddy which I have but have not evaluated. Cobalt or not - that's a high price for a tweeter.QUOTE]

D140, K140 are both alnico. Last version was E140 ferrite motor :)

Thanks for responce! :)
Have today MJ King OBs with Alpha15 and 4" Fostex. Will maybe build smaller OBs with 12" Bass, <200Hz
Then the quesion if the "Tone Tubby 12" Chicago Blue" can be used?

Bass do not need to be Alnico!

Cannabis Rex and Lil`Buddy have higher Fs and lower Qts then Tone Tubby.
The JBLs are 15". E140 to low Qts as I see.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.