TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 6 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 21st March 2007, 02:41 PM   #51
JonTee is offline JonTee  United States
diyAudio Member

I used the BSC as I found that the designs I have used so far, the TABAQ and C. Needle, need them for even response.

I spent yesterday morning playing different music choices jazz, rock, some classical. I am happy to say that I like the TABAQ's presentation (balance and clarity) and believe the performance goals were met with Bjorn's design.

Originally I thought I would do a comparison to the Needles I built and the TABAQ but they are two different animals. Different drivers, cabinet materials used, BSC, etc. Where they are similar is they both use a 3" full range driver and both perform very well. Any preference for one or the other would be purely subjective.

The TABAQ I built uses the Tangband W3-315D driver available thru Parts Express. It is different from the W3-871S driver in several ways. The 315D uses a aluminum cast frame and a aluminum-magnesium cone while the 871S has stamped steel frame and paper cone (painted silver). Although performance specs are similar (they both spec at 87dB watt/mtr) the 315D seems more efficient with a more forward midrange.

The TABAQ/315D combination is about clarity from top to bottom. Bass is presented in clearly defined notes (no fuzziness); I did not test for how low the bass goes (couldn't find my test cd) but I believe it meets the design goal of 55 Hz.

The mids of the TABAQ/315d are forward and very clear. The 315D is a very fast little driver. I originally had Martin Logan electrostats (now sold) and the TABAQ 315D is equal to the speed and clarity of the stats IMO. Instruments are clearly defined and separate from one another, voices are in the room with the listener. I listened to some cd's that I have heard probably 100 times over the years and was surprised to hear sounds, instruments and background noises, that I had not heard before.

Where the TABAQ/315D exceeds my old electrostats is in the treble range where the high notes are again clearly defined, and more apparent.

Sound staging and imagery, as with the Cyburg Needles, is a forte of these designs. The TABAQ seemed to cast a wider stage, beyond the outer boundry of the speakers and more air. which I have not experienced with other speakers I have tried in this room.

This combination of the TABAQ to me would be great with a small tube amp such as the Almarro EL-84 single ended pentode are a small push pull such as a modded Magnavox 6v6 (wish I had not sold mine now ). The stock Trends T-amp, that I used for this audition, is very good with these speakers also, and I would expect a modded T-amp to be even better.

Some additional information for those who use subs, I tried my sub set at 80 Hz (as low as the setting goes on this sub) and low gain with great results. The TABAQ blends really well and the sub is not noticeable as it should not be. Personally, the TABAQ was fine without the sub for music.

I will try the alternate BSC suggested by Bjorn for further attenuation of the midrange (need to get the inductors) and will report back any differences in presentation.

As Solve said, they are a easy build so I intend to try some 4.5 inch in the future.

Jon
Old 21st March 2007, 02:55 PM   #52
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bjohannesen
Remember to use the BSC with TABAQ, by the way. I use 1.0 mH in parallel with 3.9 ohm. These values was found using Martin J King“s software, and it sure makes the speaker more ear-friendly.
Hi,
what are the filter parameters for these components? I.e., corner frequency and attenuation, maybe Q and such?

I was thinking to make a digital version of the BSC.
Old 21st March 2007, 05:49 PM   #53
diyAudio Member

Hi Kristleifur,

from the plots in Martin J Kings“s cabinet plots, I picked 700 Hz as the center frequency and 4 db of attenation - which then ended up with the BSC values (which is 3.8 - not 3.9 ohm, sorry for the typo).

Hope you can use this information.

PS: I am pleased others than myself like the contruction

Hi from Bjorn
Old 21st March 2007, 06:42 PM   #54
kec is offline kec  United States
diyAudio Member

Nice review JonTee!

I've built the Needles and may have to try these too.

-Ken
Old 24th March 2007, 09:14 AM   #55
diyAudio Member

i think im going to build this as my first speaker project, looks easy to build,but im choosing between these two drivers Tangband W3-315D and 871S from partsexpress.com ,for those who built it which is better? im going to use it with my amp6.
Old 24th March 2007, 01:07 PM   #56
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Solve
This is the best-easybuilt speaker with Tangband W3-871 or
Period!

Just build it and listen!!
Im the only one?

Solve
anyone have opinion whether this is better than the needles?

gychang
Old 24th March 2007, 01:23 PM   #57
Henkjan is offline Henkjan  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by abiedoodles
i think im going to build this as my first speaker project, looks easy to build,but im choosing between these two drivers Tangband W3-315D and 871S from partsexpress.com ,for those who built it which is better? im going to use it with my amp6.
the 315 has for my ears too much highs, too sharp. good detail, but I can't listen to them for more than 15 minutes.
Old 24th March 2007, 01:55 PM   #58
gychang is offline gychang  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Filters for the W3-871S

Quote:
Originally posted by Svein_B

Bjohannesen is suggesting a traditional BSC filter for the TABAQ. This will attenuate everything above about 1.3 KHz by a few dB.

Cyburgs Needle : 0.56mH, 6.8uF, 6.8ohm (fo=2.6KHz)

SveinB

Let me understand this clearly, I am considering TABAQ cabinet with W3-871S speakers, can the same notch filter as the Needle be used?

thanks,

gychang
Old 24th March 2007, 09:59 PM   #59
Solve is offline Solve  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang

Originally posted by Solve
This is the best-easybuilt speaker with Tangband W3-871 or
Period!

Just build it and listen!!
Im the only one?

Solve

anyone have opinion whether this is better than the needles?

gychang

one line missing in the quote...

"This is the best-easybuilt speaker with Tangband W3-871 or
like mine W4-1320!
Period!"

W4-1320 i running with BSC 0,8 mh and 3,8 ohm.
Sounds VERY dynamic and good.
Twice as expensive.
But realy worth it!
W3-871 is an good speaker but dont stop there!
Just my thought with comparasition.

Solve
Old 24th March 2007, 10:32 PM   #60
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Re: Filters for the W3-871S

Quote:
Originally posted by gychang

Let me understand this clearly, I am considering TABAQ cabinet with W3-871S speakers, can the same notch filter as the Needle be used?

thanks,

gychang
I believe it should work fine.

Compared to Bjohannesen's BSC filter it will give less attenuation of the higher frequencies. This could be an advantage if listening a little off-axis.

SveinB.

Hide this!Advertise here!