TABAQ TL for Tangband

Originally I wanted to build one with a 1320SJF. He said it's a good alternative. IIRC he said it may have a slightly softer bass but a more gradual roll-off (so a bit more extension) because of the low Qts.

He also said it's okay to move the driver 5 cm up, for either a 3 inch or a 4 inch driver.

Speaker recommendation

However I see the 1320 sa which bjorn used initially is nowhere to be found

I had this problem too, I could not find the TB 1320 with the flat sides. After a long search across Europe I decided to use another speaker. It is larger than the original 3" but smaller than the TB 1320. It is the Vifa TG9 3,5" speaker. Bjorn himself made a simulation with this one with good results close to the 4".
The vifa is also cheaper. Could use the TC9 instead the TG9, which has a very good reputation in this forum too.

Another Tabaq like speaker build - mosaic version

These are my just finsihed new cabinets:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It has minor modifications. The whole thing tilts back 6 degrees, and I changed the dimensions a few millimeters keeping the cross section to allow sinking the baffle decoration.
The tiles are merbau wood, the speaker is Vifa TG9.
The tilting I measured to my listening position, so I became alined with the speaker when sitting.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Originally I wanted to build one with a 1320SJF. He said it's a good alternative. IIRC he said it may have a slightly softer bass but a more gradual roll-off (so a bit more extension) because of the low Qts.

He also said it's okay to move the driver 5 cm up, for either a 3 inch or a 4 inch driver.

What did you end up using?
The 1320 sif and sjf are the same driver I assume
Only on has truncated sides

Has anyone done a compare
Using these vs the vifa paper cones??

The tang bands have one thing for sure
They look really nice on the cabs as compared to the vifas

Of course music is about how the sound is rather than the looks

Also the tang band is thrice the cost of the vifas

Anyone know the bsc values for both these drivers ?

P.s earfanatic - lovely unique cab you got there!

Last edited:
What did you end up using?
The 1320 sif and sjf are the same driver I assume
Only on has truncated sides

Has anyone done a compare
Using these vs the vifa paper cones??

The tang bands have one thing for sure
They look really nice on the cabs as compared to the vifas

Of course music is about how the sound is rather than the looks

Also the tang band is thrice the cost of the vifas

Anyone know the bsc values for both these drivers ?

P.s earfanatic - lovely unique cab you got there!
I ended up making the TABAQ Large. :D

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
These are my just finsihed new cabinets:

It has minor modifications. The whole thing tilts back 6 degrees, and I changed the dimensions a few millimeters keeping the cross section to allow sinking the baffle decoration.
The tiles are merbau wood, the speaker is Vifa TG9.
The tilting I measured to my listening position, so I became alined with the speaker when sitting.

Beautiful cabs. Never seen wood mosaic on a speaker before. Maybe I should try tile mosaic?

Thinking of doing the 3" TABAQ with PVC pipes instead of plywood.

Trying to give my plywood dust allergy a rest, plus since I have to cut wood with a circular saw, it will allow me to forget about trying to cut straight lines!

I would probably need to put the vent on the bottom though...

Found some wood, not ply, at BnQ over here. Best of all, dimensions were almost spot on! I only had to cut the length of the boards. Kept dust to a minimum.

Fun and fast build. I assembled 1 1/2 enclosures in one afternoon. Will finish the other tomorrow and paint / varnish them right after.

Since one was already assembled. I took it inside and connected it, for fun.

This was me:

NO WAY! Did you hear that bass?

These are insane. How come such a quick and easy build sound so good?

I have yet to add the BSC, and stuffed inside with 75g of polyfill only.
I will wait until I finish the second one to really have a good listening session with them.

Thanks a million to Bjorn for sharing such a cool and easy little design.

Maybe, one day, I will do a TABAQ XXL with my W8-1772. That would be fun too, I'm sure! :)

Hi

Has anyone tried bracing the tabaq cab
I was thinking of a brace in the same place where the stuffing ends
So it has a dual function of not allowing the stuffing to fall
Plus adding obvious strength

But I'm wondering if that would affect anything

Would it??
Would not, if it doesn't constrict the line. Simple cross bracing between walls would be best.

Not sanded nor finished yet, I just couldn't wait!
Since we have a 5-day vacation for the new year here, I wanted to hear them right away!

The drivers I have used are locally made (Taiwan) and are good... enough. Not particularly the clearest, but not bad either. They do work overtime when trying to reach the lower frequencies. I had previously tried them in a smaller vented enclosure, and they would just break down when pushed a bit harder with lower frequencies... but not this time! The TABAQ design seems to be doing a great job at keeping it all under control.

The bass output coming out of the TABAQ is one of the cleanest I've heard... and that's coming from a 3-incher?

The kick drum sound has got to be one of the nicest I've heard. It's clean, refined and right to the point. I can hear details in it that I have not heard in speakers that are much bigger (and much more expensive!).

I'm sure that a driver with specs around the same as the drivers I have, but with a cleaner high end would be nothing short of amazing. Or a nice 4" perhaps!

A little EQ cleaned the high end a bit, but I'll be looking for a better driver at one point. I'm tempted in turning these first batch into surrounds for my HT system. The low end they provide would help in action / sci-fi movies for sure!

So, here they are in my recording room, along with a quick measurement at listening position, no EQ involved. Pretty darn good considering how simple they are ... and cheap!

Attachments

• TABAQ.jpg
    TABAQ.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 663
  • tabaq-freq.jpg
    tabaq-freq.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 1,086