TABAQ TL for Tangband

Despite my shoddy woodworking skills and my lack of patience and proper equipment, I think I've done it right. My TABAQ Large sounds wonderful, even when only hooked up to my smart TV! Listened to everything from live concert, HD movie channels, and my own collection via the TV. Of course, hooked up to my desktop DAC it did sound much better, but that's not what I built this for.

The bass extends very far down, and to my relief there was only bass when there is bass to present in the first place. Listened to pink noise and some music I'm familiar with, compared to my headphones these were more tonally "correct". Everything is to my liking. The stuffing is a bit less than 200 grams, but I did experiment with the extra pyramid foam pieces I found and lined the top and back until almost 2/3 down. Don't know what help they gave but they certainly didn't do much (if at all) harm. Thanks Bjohanessen for the construction plan.

Kctess5: looks nice. The speaker placement is quit low. How about the length to the port and the consequence for the frequency?

Yeah as Bjohannesen said it's just the folded version, so it's the same dims. I really like the folded version of this design. It gives some ridiculous bass extension in a small package, and it seems to control woofer excursion much better than bass reflex.

The other pair I made had those ridiculously high excursion dayton full range units. The treble wasn't nearly as nice, but the bass was unreal. I got more output from those things than I've seen from many (small) dedicated subwoofers. Best garage setup ever.

TABAQ large with W5-1611SAF. Despite my shoddy work, sonically they're not affected. The dimensions are correct to the millimetre, and the front baffles are braced using those metal brackets to the 36mm side baffles (2x18mm plywood glued together), just because I want them to be pretty much indestructible. :p

The front baffle is wider because of the thicker plywood, and I placed the port at the rear, just because I've never had a speaker with a port at the rear so I want to know the difference. Basically the same, except it is much more sensitive with placement relative to the rear wall.

Attachments

• GzOQUKo.jpg
    GzOQUKo.jpg
    221.2 KB · Views: 721
Hi Bjørn

I have a pair of Monacor SPH-60X, do you think it could work in Tabaq Large?

Specifications from Monacor site are:

Impedance (Z) 8 Ω
Resonant frequency (fs) 60 Hz
Max. frequency range f3-20,000 Hz
Music power 60 WMAX
Power rating (P) 30 WRMS
SPL (1 W/m) 89 dB
Suspension compl. (Cms) 1.19 mm/N
Moving mass (Mms) 5.9 g
Mech. Q factor (Qms) 2.17
Electr. Q factor (Qes) 0.53
Total Q factor (Qts) 0.42
Equivalent volume (Vas) 9 l
DC resistance (Re) 6.2 Ω
Force factor (BxL) 5.1 Tm
Voice coil induct. (Le) 0.4 mH
Voice coil diameter 25.5 mm
Voice coil former aluminium
Linear excursion (XMAX) ±1.3 mm
Eff. cone area (Sd) 80 cm2
Magnet weight 370 g
Weight 1.1 kg

Thank you

My TABAQ with the 4 inch driver (1320) and driver located on the longer dimension is nearing completion. I've been thinking of the potential need for some bass augmentation without losing the placement flexibility of the original design.

To that end, I've been looking at 4 inch bass drivers with a view to using a Minidsp driving a pair of TPA3116 amps an crossing over at around 150hz. The bass driver would slot straight into the existing TABAQ enclosure with the Tang Bang going in its separate 2 litre enclosure on top of the original one. The idea would be to relieve the Tang Bang from duties over the bottom couple of octaves. Provided I get decent response at around 40hz (typically the bottom note on string or electric bass) I'll be happy.

Finding a suitable driver has not been easy. Running WinISD with various drivers installed in the TABAQ box revealed few that would fit the bill: typically either the port dimensions could not be adapted or the simulations showed little improvement over the Tang Band on its own.

One driver, however, has revealed itself as a candidate: the SB Acoustics SB12NRXF25-4. Key specs are: Power 30Wrms, Width 123mm, Ø Impedance 4Ω Nom. (Re 3.1Ω), Depth 61mm, Sens. 87dB, Qms 5.3, Qes 0.53, Qts 0.48, Vas 4.1L, Sd 50cm², Fs 61Hz, Le 0.27mH, Xmax +/-5mm.

Comments as to whether this is worth pursuing (after fully evaluating the original build of course) or whether it's a pointless project would be most appreciated.

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
You want to use the Tabaq as a TL sub woofer as the bass in a FAST setup? It can work as I have built a very large (4ft tall x 1ft deep) MLTL with a 6.5in driver and used that to get 30Hz to 175Hz and then use a sealed TC9FD in a Nautaloss on top. I also used miniDSP and dual tpa3116d2 amps.

As a sub though, you might be better off with more compact vented designs like a bandpass. Check out some of the slot loaded push pull sub designs. I made one using two of the Tang Band W5-876SE drivers. Works very well.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/subwoofers/258433-light-air-slot-loaded-band-pass-sub.html

TABAQ 4" TB

Hi lordtarquin

You have not played on your 4" TABAQ yet ? From my own experience I know the 4" TB are going pretty deep. I seldom use my sub playing music. Movies is another thing, of course.

Use 63 gram as stuffing, upper 2/3 and place the speaker 5 cm higher up than shown in the original TABAQ design.

According to the sims, you will have usable bass down to the mid 40ies.

Hi
Bjørn

Attachments

• TB W4 SIM.pdf
    313.5 KB · Views: 315
Thanks Bjorn. It's a slow build. I did indeed place the speaker 5cms higher. I could do a quick and dirty mounting of the drivers, but I'm waiting for some M4 D nuts and bolts to arrive in order to do the job properly. It's cold in my garage and I had to allow plenty of time for the glue to set - that's my excuse anyway.

I've cracked and installed the drivers with some wood screws and hooked them up. First impressions are very positive. Naturally, as the design originated from Denmark, Agnes Obel had to be the first artist played. A bit of Trentemoller tested the bottom end nicely: very good indeed with some support from my MJ Acoustics active sub. Some Stravinsky tested the bottom end dynamics too.

Time to try some "difficult" recordings I think.

The line has 90g of stuffing which seems to work well so far: I prefer a tighter bass to a boomy one. The BSC components are still to arrive, so I expect some alteration to the tonal balance (currently a bit mid & toppy). The speakers are about 4 inches from the wall, with scope for pushing them back another couple. I tried simulating a BSC in Jriver's DSP parametric equaliser, but it seemed to deaden the sound somewhat (I probably messed the settings up).

I've been through the whole thread... yikes!

So, I've seen 2", 3", 4" 6" drivers being used... how about going big? a nice 8" perhaps?

I'm in the process of building Bob Brines' design for the TB W8-1772. But at the same time, since I am cutting wood already, I wouldn't mind giving a "large" folded TABAQ a try, if it's possible at all.

I've seen mostly high Qts drivers being used... the W8-1772 has a much smaller Qts and Vas than most. Still wondering if it could be used.

W8-1772 PRODUCT SPECIFICATIONS
Nominal Diameter 8"
Power Handling (RMS) 30 Watts
Power Handling (max) 60 Watts
Impedance 8 ohms
Frequency Response 42 to 20,000 Hz
Sensitivity 95 dB 1W/1m
Voice Coil Diameter 1.5"

THIELE-SMALL PARAMETERS
Resonant Frequency (Fs) 42 Hz
DC Resistance (Re) 6.8 ohms
Voice Coil Inductance (Le) 0.009 mH
Mechanical Q (Qms) 1.02
Electromagnetic Q (Qes) 0.36
Total Q (Qts) 0.27
Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas) 3.34 ft.³
Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms) 1.37 mm/N
BL Product (BL) 7.12 Tm
Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms) 10.11g
Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax) 3 mm
Surface Area of Cone (Sd) 9 cm²

And while we are at it, since the TABAQ seems to bring out nice bass from such smaller drivers, I'm also wondering how it would fare as a sub enclosure. I still have one TB W8-740Q in a box waiting to be placed in a nice box!

W8-740Q:
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE 4 W
DCR IMPEDANCE 3.2 W
SENSITIVITY 1W/1m 83 dB
FREQUENCY RESPONSE 32-700 Hz
FREE AIR RESONANCE 32 Hz
VOICE COIL DIAMETER 49.5 mm
AIR GAP HEIGHT 8 mm
RATED POWER INPUT 150 W
MAXIMUM POWER INPUT 300 W
FORCE FACTOR, BL 14.6 TM
MAGNET WEIGHT (65.7oz) 1860 g