TABAQ TL for Tang Band - Page 25 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd December 2011, 11:52 AM   #241
diyAudio Member

Hi bAD I am sure you design will work very good, the dimensions are spot on. I assume the cross section is 128 cm2 (opening 16 cm2).

Interesting to fold the line in different ways :-)

I my proposal, you can put the cabinet close to the wall and mount is "upside down" so you donīt see the opening.

Hi
Bj
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:42 PM   #242
diyAudio Member

Posting some impressions of my tabaqs. I'm using tang band w3-1364's from a project that never materialized. And they're powered by a Scott 335r receiver. I had these built and playing in my office for appx 6 months, always (at least until everyone leaves) played at low to moderate volume. They've always sounded good. They never seemed to take much power tho. Occasionally I would have look at them in surprise, as they'll hit low notes very well. In order to get more bass (I mean in your face, chest thumping bass), which I'm accustomed to, I built a small subwoofer with a Dayton nd-105. The sub doesn't add more bass, but just was there to fill out the bass a bit. WELL, today, out of the blue, these puppies opened up, outta nowhere. The sound just blossomed. Bass and midrange especially. And to think, about a week ago, I got some w4-1052's to stick in them, to make them sound bigger. I'm going to put the newspapers in another design, because I don't need to fiddle with the tabaqs any more! This is the second set of speakers ive built that's done this to me. But after six months? This DIY speaker thing still blows me away. My wife thinks I'm crazy!
Old 2nd December 2011, 08:49 PM   #243
diyAudio Member

ooh, I don't always run the sub. only when I turn them up (after coworkers leave). Seems I can turn down the volume knob to get the same sound as before the "blossoming". Just build em. I like these better than my cyburg needles, although they have different drivers in them.
Old 2nd December 2011, 09:04 PM   #244
diyAudio Member

Newspapers, ha ha...meant new speakers...Damn phone!
Old 3rd December 2011, 12:57 AM   #245
diyAudio Member

Here's a few pics (hope this works) of the tabaqs as well as some other projectsClick the image to open in full size..
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:30 PM   #246
diyAudio Member

I did some calculations with the original TABAQ in Akabak but I'm lost somewhere . I attached pictures of my calculations with various drivers (W3-315SC, W4-1320SJ, W4-655C). First without baffle (looks not so bad) but then with baffle ... very bad. (Expect the unexpected ...) Seems I made some mistakes with the baffle integration in Akabak
I also attached the Skript for the W3-315SC variant as .zip-file. Maybe someone has a little time to look at it and point me to the right direction.

Why do I do this? Because I want to use the W4-655C in the TABAQ Center (I have it in Cyburgs Sticks and the center will accompany them) and I want to modify the port. So my intention was to model the original TABAQ, then add the 655C, turn the port to the rear (center) and then the port modification (to the downside and cross section). Learning step by step so to say
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TABAQ_Freq_Down.jpg (306.0 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg TABAQ_Freq_Baffle.jpg (215.8 KB, 111 views)
Attached Files
File Type: zip tabaq315.zip (1.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 4th December 2011, 02:05 PM   #247
diyAudio Member

I had an idea that could help me with turning the port to the downside. I switched height and depth of the tube so it is now 128 mm high and 100 mm deep. This way I was able to keep all the measures and to turn the port to the downside .
On the other hand I'm still interested in solving the Akabak problem I posted earlier .

A picture of the Center with port down and the W4-655C is attached (simple rendering).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TABAQ_Center_rendered.jpg (320.5 KB, 129 views)
Old 4th December 2011, 05:44 PM   #248
diyAudio Member

Hi, without any modifications of the TABAQ you can use the 4 inch driver.

My Livingroom now with 4" TB drivers:
Click the image to open in full size.

Simulation of the 3" TABAQ:

TABAQ with 4":

The folded TABAQ BOX Under consruction:
Old 6th December 2011, 06:37 AM   #249
pbrand is offline pbrand  Australia
diyAudio Member

Default w4 1052sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonda View Post
I got some w4-1052's to stick in them, to make them sound bigger.
I just finished mine with the w1052sd's (still just raw mdf for the moment)- sounds pretty good, looking foward to how they sound once broken in a bit!

Just for fun I hooked them up with my John Blue 3 speakers sitting on top of each TABAQ in series with my pop pulse 70i tamp (tri path amp) that has a 'decent' amount of power - and put on Robin Trower's Bridge of Signs album, sounded so warm with a huge sound stage, just loved it, they seem to combine really well together, I dont really want to take the jb3's off!.

Just got a new stylis today so really looking foward to trying them out with vinyl tonight

Thanks Bj for the design!
Old 18th December 2011, 05:49 PM   #250
diyAudio Member

Hello there

Bjorn, could you post some impressions on how did the folded TABAQ turn out?

Hide this!Advertise here!