TABAQ TL for Tangband

hi, i have 4x 3fe25s 16ohm versions (0,83 Qts), and playing with leonard audio transmission line a 2x parallel reaches ~50hz reasonably flat in a tappered horn (210cm² to 42cm², 110cm length). Does a tabaq also work for these in parallel? i assume same lenght and 2x csd as the usual 3 inch version

hi, i have 4x 3fe25s 16ohm versions (0,83 Qts), and playing with leonard audio transmission line a 2x parallel reaches ~50hz reasonably flat in a tappered horn (210cm² to 42cm², 110cm length). Does a tabaq also work for these in parallel? i assume same lenght and 2x csd as the usual 3 inch version

Having two drivers per cabinet playing full-range next to each other might result in comb-filter effects -> a ragged frequency response.

my tabaq version Bmod TabaQs - My Photo Gallery

Last edited:
TABAQ build

Recent TABAQ build with SB10PGC21-4 3 inch full range driver. Can't find much not to like!

Larry

Attachments

• IMG_0410.JPG
    IMG_0410.JPG
    128.3 KB · Views: 417
  • IMG_0411.JPG
    IMG_0411.JPG
    123.2 KB · Views: 410
psycho-acoustic phenomenon, annoying to your ears or brain? I was worried I would be tainted by this knowledge but went ahead with the build anyway. Happy to report that myself and a few other listeners are really enjoying the sound, no issues whatsoever!

Larry

Ps. Amazing bass coming from these tabaqs!

psycho-acoustic phenomenon, annoying to your ears or brain?

Well, let's not go there.

I think I had initially dismissed this driver for its high Qts, since drivers with high Qts do not render much bass usually.

Did a sim, and it showed it could reach down to 55Hz, with a sharp peak there. Some stuffing helped tame that.

So, I plugged it into my test TABAQ enclosure.

The FR looked promising, and also showed the cone breakup at 12kHz, which is really close to the limit of my hearing at 15kHz. Not a major problem.
The shape and stuffing of the enclosure seems to handle the resulting harmonic distortion at 5kHz.. nice.

But, as you can see, this driver is unusable under 100Hz. Distortion rises wildly and the diver just fluffs around.

So, if one wants a good driver for casual listening of soft jazz, vocals and not move the volume knob past 5, it should do quite well and make for a nice balanced listening.

But, if one starts cranking the volume knob a bit more on spirited tracks like Daft Punk, the distortion under 100Hz is quite annoying.

The SB10 is a good mid-high driver, it should do fine full range as background music.

Crossed to a woofer above 300Hz, it should make for some more involved listening.

attachment.php

Attachments

• sb10 distortion.jpg
    sb10 distortion.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 1,236
I was just listening to a Keith Jarrett track with a nice Gary Peacock bass solo. The ability of these speakers to handle the lower frequencies despite the tiny drivers continues to make me smile.

I replace the peeling shelf liner that I initially used to cover the cabinets with a black woodgrain vinyl similar to what Cyruz mentioned in Post #3003, and they look much better.

So I have been running my 4FE32 and P830987 Tabaqs for about 4 months now. The P830987 are still amazing in all areas. The 4FE32 have proven to be a touch too bright for my tastes. They can breathe life into a dull recording but in the end they go over the top too often. Enter the Pluvia 7. Had a well broken in pair from a couple of other projects but actually found these applications a bit on the dull side. Fitted in the now vacant 4FE32 cabinet and keeping the 100g stuffing they are spot on. The edge of the 4FE32 has gone but they are definitively not dull.
I know a few people previously asked for sims for this driver but I don't think anything came of it. I am using the latest cabinet and port with 100g stuffing, not even sure if this is optimum for the Pluvia 7 but they sure sound good like this!!
There is a new paper cone version of the Pluvia 7 which might be interesting, especially if like me sharp treble has you reaching for the off button!!