TABAQ TL for Tangband

Are there any TangBand 3" drivers that are not suited for the TABAQ and should be avoided?
Which of the 3" drivers would be the most bass strong among the TangBands? (not including the extra super expensive w3 1878) would the Vifa TG9FD 10 04 be stronger because it's slightly bigger?
What about Xmax, some of the models used in TABAQ had only 0.5 mm, awfully small, isn't that a problem?

Hi Krakatoa,

TABAQ was desinged for the TB 3" 315SC which has a high Ots of 0.64. This makes it possible to get much lower bass than expected for the drivers relatively high Fs. You can use any TB 3" - or other 3" drivers - as long as the Qts is not much lower than the 0.64.

For drivers with a lower Fs than 100 Hz, the Qts can be lower. This is the reason TABAQ works very well with the 4" TB drivers.

I must admit I have also considered the Vifa TG9FD, I have enclosed a simulation of this driver which you might find useful :)

Hi from Bjorn

Attachments

• VIFA 3.5 Full Range.pdf
    99.4 KB · Views: 667
Hi Bjohansen:

Im thinking to build some satellites for my HT with your Tabaq design with the Tang Band W3 881SI, the Qts that shows the spec sheet from I got from Tang band its says a Qts of 0.59. the Fs is 100Hz... Would you recommend the Tabaq TL for this drivers!?.

Thanks!!!

PD: I think this will help a lot of people that bought this drivers from the PE buyout, and still doubting like me wich design to use.

Hi Danzz, you can start building your First TABAQ, the driver is doing very well. I have attached the MJK simulation.

For this driver i would definitely recomend to use the BSC, as the driver has a slight peak in the top already. Something that will get worse caused by the baffle step. Therefore: Use the 3,9 ohm and 1.0 mH in parallel.
Have fun !

Bjorn

Attachments

• TB W3-881SI.jpg
    TB W3-881SI.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 1,505
Hi Danzz, you can start building your First TABAQ, the driver is doing very well. I have attached the MJK simulation.

For this driver i would definitely recomend to use the BSC, as the driver has a slight peak in the top already. Something that will get worse caused by the baffle step. Therefore: Use the 3,9 ohm and 1.0 mH in parallel.
Have fun !

Bjorn

Thank you very much!!!!...

Little doubt... The resistence and the inductor in parallel but I guess that in series with the +, right!?...

Again... Thank you a lot!!!... I Williams post some pics when I have them finished...

I want to build something quick, dirty, and pretty low-fi for use at close range outside for my pole vault team. I got a good deal on some Dayton ND105-4s and I was thinking of sticking them in a folded Tabaq. What do you think? They don't have to be perfectly optimized but I'd like some good bass, f3 between the 40s and 50s probably.

The alternative is a simple bass reflex...

Le: 1.37 mH • Impedance: 8 ohms • Re: 7.6 ohms • Frequency range: 60-10,000 Hz • Fs: 65.3 Hz • SPL: 83.2 dB 1W/1m • Vas: 0.13 cu. ft. • Qms: 7.61 • Qes: 0.73 • Qts: 0.66

I'm going to pick up a handy panel today, if I don't hear back in time I will probably just build them...

Alright so I just went ahead and build them. I'll post a little more info tomorrow when I'm awake but the initial graphs show the lower corner just barely above 50Hz, almost exactly as the graphs predict for the other drivers. These things are bass monsters, with 20mm of Xmech they can make my entire garage painfully loud.

That was a fantastically easy build. Finished in record time. It also turns out that a standard air plane pillow that they give out has almost exactly the correct amount of stuffing material for one. I cannibalized 2 that we had from our flight to Hawaii a few weeks ago, I just ripped the cover off and stuck them in there after some stretching actually. I weighed them and they were 4 ounces, which is close to what is called for.

I think they will perform wonderfully for my fellow pole vaulters

Thanks for the excellent design Bjohannesen! I may have to build a few of these for myself with some higher quality drivers at some point. Graphs and pics to come