The Metronome - Page 76 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd June 2010, 01:04 AM   #751
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Pit Hinder
Skintman (welcome to the club - we all are),

go and find yourself a bottle of booze before you try that one.
The 17H is a real find for the price, and kiling it with a cheap attenuator...if you find a matched pair of the latter, let us know where.

Some of the Fostex recommended cabinets are nice if you use them with any driver but what they are recommended for (@Scott - 206 in the 208 horn?), but their Xover ideas...no.
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:07 PM   #752
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

and FWIW, after the requisite 200hr heavy-petting driver conditioning period, you might want to try without any BSC at all
Old 3rd June 2010, 09:14 PM   #753
diyAudio Member

Quite the frugal Canadian, ainīt you? Better spend some hours annoying the neighbors than buy expensive parts that become redundant later...
Old 4th June 2010, 04:43 PM   #754
diyAudio Member

This is exactly the sort of wallet-friendly advice I like

I will try a few caps between the driver and tweeter and see how it goes. Thanks!
Old 4th June 2010, 08:16 PM   #755
diyAudio Member

Skintman,
experimenting there might have benefits not thought about yet. Half a dozen caps combined (parallel, just add the values) bought cheap can sound nearly as sweet as a superbrand single one bought at boutique price. Donīt tell it to salesmen.
Old 8th June 2010, 08:31 PM   #756
diyAudio Member

Question CHR70 vs. EL70

Quote:
Originally Posted by planet10 View Post
I would suggest that your amps are not well suited for the FE126 (for now lets assume the FE126En is going to be close to the FE126e). CHR70 or EL70 are probably better best. I have drawings for EL70 met, and CHR will follow soon. EL70 & CHR70 come packaged 2 to a box.

dave

I wonder if these plans fly around somewhere or if the drivers may work in the same enclosure...?! The golden CHR would look awesome in a Met! And it would save me 40 bucks that I can spend on a good veneer

Thomas
Old 28th July 2010, 05:03 PM   #757
diyAudio Member

Hi folks,

Am very interested in the metronome design.

Being uk based i've found Wilmslow Audio on the web as a supplier of Fostex FR units and am interested in the FE166en due to its extended LF range,
Have followed the link to the frugal horn metronome table but can only find the FE167 listed. being new to diy speakers i dont know if these are interchangeable. The specks seem similar but sufficiently different to make me think "ask first pay later" n avoid possible disappointment!

Can any one help please? Also are there any other uk suppliers of Fostex speakers? most other web searches seem to throw up foreign suppliers.

Regards G.
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:45 AM   #758
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by viertelnach8 View Post
I wonder if these plans fly around somewhere or if the drivers may work in the same enclosure...?! The golden CHR would look awesome in a Met! And it would save me 40 bucks that I can spend on a good veneer
I think i have numbers in an email for CHR, EL70 certainly does well in a Met.

dave
Old 2nd August 2010, 02:46 AM   #759
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamAshton View Post
Being uk based i've found Wilmslow Audio on the web as a supplier of Fostex FR units and am interested in the FE166en due to its extended LF range,
Have followed the link to the frugal horn metronome table but can only find the FE167 listed. being new to diy speakers i dont know if these are interchangeable.
FE166En is probably interchangeable with FE166e, but FE167e is a different beast. FE167 probably has greater bass capability in a met.

What kind of amp do you have?

dave
Old 2nd August 2010, 10:05 AM   #760
diyAudio Member

Hi Dave

Thanks for responding. Was worried thatt his thread had gone cold.

I'm currently driving a pair of rogers LS3s with an old n decrepit kenwood amp. however i'm currently in the middle of tda 2050 chip amp project, a test run to see if i remember which end of a soldering iron to get hold of! before embarking upon a gainclone project probably using a rod elliott PCB

Regards G,

Hide this!Advertise here!