Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 29th March 2010, 08:42 PM   #741
chrisb is offline chrisb  Canada
diyAudio Member

I think that in his haste to punch the post button, Dave forgot to state that the location, CSA and volume of the port/terminus are among the significant factors in whether a tall skinny enclosure works as a well modeled MLTL would be expected, or accidentally as a BR (perhaps for reasons unknown or overlooked by the designer)
Old 29th March 2010, 08:48 PM   #742
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rullknufs View Post
I see. This is an awesome forum for learning stuff!

So, what is this speaker? -- dynavoice
It's behavior will be somewhat different than the usual ML-TL as the driver offset is large & the terminus is not at the end. It is still an ML-TL but not optimal. This kind of thing is often done to try to bring the measured performance closer to the BR sim when the designer does not understand ML-TLs.

dave
Old 29th March 2010, 08:52 PM   #743
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisb View Post
I think that in his haste to punch the post button, Dave forgot to state that the location, CSA and volume of the port/terminus are among the significant factors in whether a tall skinny enclosure works as a well modeled MLTL would be expected, or accidentally as a BR (perhaps for reasons unknown or overlooked by the designer)
All true.

A typical ML-TL will have the terminus at one end and the driver at the other. To minimize the amount of damping required (and get more bass), a driver offset is often employed (about, but not exactly 1/3). To learn more one should start by reading everything on Martin's website.

For some historical background and more projects my TL site. And Bob Brines has (or at least had) some good comments on actual modeling.

dave
Old 7th April 2010, 03:11 PM   #744
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Rullknufs
Dave, do you sell any FE127e?
And will a Metronome with FE127e fit well with my amp?
Old 7th April 2010, 05:41 PM   #745
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I have the last FE127 in captivity in North America. They are all destined to be FE127eN. EL70/CHR-70 are better suited to your amplifier (or EL70eN or CHR70eN for the tricked out ones -- something you can diy yourself with some practise).

dave
Old 10th April 2010, 01:25 AM   #746
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Digression into Lotus-land split off
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-...70-sweden.html

dave
Old 25th April 2010, 09:28 AM   #747
diyAudio Member

Have just read through the whole thread. Somewhere there was talk of using the bamboo Tang Band 4" (W4-1320SJ) driver and that it's spec's were close to the FE108eS so it could use the 108 design for the TB.

Shipping costs to our part of the world are quite prohibitive and they have notched up quite a bit last year. I found locally a supplier (advertising on this board) who has the TB W4-1052SD in stock at a very reasonable price.

I have not found a metronome design for this driver and wonder if someone more capable than myself can calculate the numbers for me.

Many thanks in advance, AM.

Last edited by AmadeusMozart; 25th April 2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: omission of TB driver details (bamboo)
Old 26th April 2010, 10:15 AM   #748
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmadeusMozart View Post
Have just read through the whole thread. Somewhere there was talk of using the bamboo Tang Band 4" (W4-1320SJ) driver and that it's spec's were close to the FE108eS so it could use the 108 design for the TB.

Shipping costs to our part of the world are quite prohibitive and they have notched up quite a bit last year. I found locally a supplier (advertising on this board) who has the TB W4-1052SD in stock at a very reasonable price.

I have not found a metronome design for this driver and wonder if someone more capable than myself can calculate the numbers for me.

Many thanks in advance, AM.
Update:

Same supplier informed me that on indent he could supply me with the W4-1320SJ at a very generous (to me) price. I have now ordered these and will be putting them in a metronome designed for the FE108e Sigma and see how I go from there.

AM
Old 3rd June 2010, 12:04 AM   #749
diyAudio Member

Default XO, BSC etc.

I now have two lovely new FE207eN sitting in boxes (thanks Dave). I am thinking how these would be best crossed over with FE17H when used with the Baffle-Step Compensation circuit. Would the following be correct? (a simple combination of the FE17/R80B and Metronome FE207e BSC circuits):

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 3rd June 2010, 01:03 AM   #750
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

i'd connect the tweeter circuit before the BSC. I'd also try the single small cap approach 1st.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!