The Metronome

Driver/box recommendation

Hello all,

A friend couple ask me to build new speakers, and like Metronomes. Only condition is no taller than 1,25 m, then I'm limited to 4-5" drivers. Any recommendation?. Now they are listen music with Beyma 8AG/N and they're happy, but the box is too big.

I would prefer high efficiency speaker (Fostex ?), because amplifier will be Tripath2020 or Sure TPA3110.

They listen pop, indie rock, jazz, folk, never classical music. No subwoofer here, just full range.

Your suggestions will be very appreciated. Thank you,

Victor

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
Hello all,

A friend couple ask me to build new speakers, and like Metronomes. Only condition is no taller than 1,25 m, then I'm limited to 4-5" drivers. Any recommendation?. Now they are listen music with Beyma 8AG/N and they're happy, but the box is too big.

I would prefer high efficiency speaker (Fostex ?), because amplifier will be Tripath2020 or Sure TPA3110.

They listen pop, indie rock, jazz, folk, never classical music. No subwoofer here, just full range.

Your suggestions will be very appreciated. Thank you,

Victor

The cornu fits many of the requirements and was originally designed for a FE108ESigma, but can work with FF125wk.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...k-building-cornu-spiral-horn-now-you-can.html

Dave,
You are right, but why ask for recommendations if you know you are building a Met?
I suppose he is looking for a driver recommendation.

OTOH I know what my drivers are (see below), but I am hoping for assistance with metronome cabinet sizing to suit the driver.

Hi everyone, are there any suggestions for the dimensions of a Metronome to bipole with the ACR Swiss (Fostex) FE-103S (Sigma) driver?

I have 4 of these drivers and a Metronome bipole looks like a good project.

Driver parameters are:

Fs 79 Hz
Re 7.3 ohm
Z 8 ohm
Qms 2.8
Qes 0.29
Qts 0.26
Vas 6.2 litre
Mms 2.9 g
SPL (1W/1m) 92 dB
Sd 55 cm2
Rms 0.55 kg/s
Cms 1.43

Thanks if anyone can help or advise me.

I am still stuck on this project and would still be grateful for any thoughts.

cheers

FE103ESigma metronome

OTOH I know what my drivers are (see below), but I am hoping for assistance with metronome cabinet sizing to suit the driver.
....I am still stuck on this project and would still be grateful for any thoughts.

I have the same drivers and was sure I found the sizes in this thread somewhere.
I'm on the road right now but will check my records when I get home

For the FF125wk, I really advise to do the glue mod at the back of the driver (zig two-way glue is applied to the back of the driver where the surround meet the cone), the one Planet10 uses, helps tame the driver's sibillance (a 7khz peak that can make it unlistenable).
Should you be inclined to go all out on the EnAbl process, all the better ;)

I have a pair of original Philips AD9710M full range 8" drivers with the unusual Ticonal magnet material. They look like they would deliver OK bass, although the treble is a bit ragged. Would it will need a uniquely sized cabinet, or will it be close enough to one of the existing Metronome cabinets that have been calculated for other 8" drive units?

I know Gentleman Jim Shearer has been looking into this topic, and I hope he can contribute.

cheers all