Tangband W3-871S in a bottle - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th May 2006, 07:15 AM   #1
jives11 is offline jives11  Europe
diyAudio Member

Default Tangband W3-871S in a bottle

Hi,

I have seeen a few threads were diyers have used plastic drinks bottles as simple TL-based enclosures. a 1.5Litre bottle with a 3" diameter hole cut in the bottom for the speaker, stuffed with wool and the stopper removed. I think most have tried this on the road to completing a conventional cabinet. However I wondered if such a bottle speaker would make the ideal desktop/PC speaker enclosure. Would certain bottles be better suited (wall thickness), makeybe other items would do (ceramic plant pot ?, thick cardboard tube ), what notch filter would best suit a 1.5 Litre plastic bottle
Also how best to fix the sepaker to the thin plastic walls which would deform from the magnet weight ?

I note that Audiodigit have a ceramic bottle-based TD speaker .

Would seem to make a great first project
Old 17th May 2006, 09:35 AM   #2
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

I have posted my "Tangband in a Bottle" in a previous thread: W3-871s over bright. (post 38 and 42)

Click the image to open in full size.

Acoustically I guess it is BR, with a little bit of bottleneck TL? Minimal reflections back through the cone.

Very good sound after a few weeks of break-in.
Drivers are now in a pair of Cyburgs Needles which provide more deep bass, but I miss some of the clarity of the bottle.

Part list:
TB w3-871s
1.5 liter plastic bottle. NB: This is a fairly thick wall bottle! (you have difficulty squeezing it flat)
Thick wool socks
Notch-filter (as for Cyburgs Needle)
Duct tape.

Old 18th May 2006, 02:14 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

hmmm... a glass wine bottle would have less resonance and be classier to boot.

mike
Old 18th May 2006, 03:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mashaffer
hmmm... a glass wine bottle would have less resonance and be classier to boot.

mike

Agreed, and I have a lot of the 'raw materials' too

A little hard to cut though. Most of my red wine bottles appear to be about 2 3/4" diameter, though Champagne bottles a little more than 3". maybe the wall thickness is for strength to prevent explosions.

I think I'll stick with plastic as these could end up in my kids room, so need to be shatter proof . I know Swedish plastic bottles are designed for reuse (very good idea) and hence are thick skinned. In the UK most 1.5L soft drink bottles are very flimsy when empty, but I think some smaller ones are more robust -it's getting about getting strength AND size in a single bottle.

I wouldn't like anyone to think that this research is just an excuse to wander up and down the ailse of my local super markets alcohol section (with a ruler !)
Old 18th May 2006, 07:46 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

jives11: When you go wine-shoping (with your ruler), I think you should look for the magnum size bottles to get the 1.5 liter volume.

Also I would suggest that maybe Burgundy would be preferable to Bordeaux, because of its more tapered bottle shape.
Old 18th May 2006, 09:54 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Spasticteapot
Hmm...
I wonder if this might work with PVC. Using a 3" to 1" flat coupling would remove the taper, and it would be easy to add an internal bass reflex.
Food for thought?
Old 19th May 2006, 10:04 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Spasticteapot
Hmm...
I wonder if this might work with PVC. Using a 3" to 1" flat coupling would remove the taper, and it would be easy to add an internal bass reflex.
Food for thought?
Nice idea. The other thought I had was to use a 3" diameter length of PVC or thick carboard tube. I could insert a 3" diameter plastic funnel , positioned at the correct distance from the driver to give the required volume, then hotglued in place. This would provide a tapering BR port.
Old 19th May 2006, 05:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi
There is a simple way of removal of the bottom in glass bottles.
Take some gravel or lead shots, put thumb over bottle mouth and shake it. The bottom cracks quite even as I remember it. This is from my teens and don't ask why we were doing. Long time ago...

Peter
Old 3rd January 2007, 04:55 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Tantaan!

The bottle is 1.25 liters. It used to contain Christmas ale. There's a proper woolen sock in there, too.

I had to trim a bit off the bottom of the bottle, so it's even a little less than 1.25 liters. Surprisingly, there's even some bass. Works well with a software notch filter designed for the Needles:
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showt...66#post1096666

I'll try to work up the courage to try Peter's gravel trick on a new year's champagne bottle
Old 3rd January 2007, 05:19 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Here is a simulated response for the bottle (using MJK's TL_Open_End.mcd worksheet).

Not very deep bass, but a liitle hump around 150Hz, which i believe is similar to the famous LS 3/5A response, creates a nice illusion of bass.

Not that the bottle is any loudspeaker magic, but it is a surprisingly good temporary enclosure. I believe a longer line, made from PVC tube or similar, with a volume of 3-4 liters would be better, but less fun.

The bottle gemetry is atached.

SveinB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bottle.jpg (11.4 KB, 1598 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!