Tangband W3-871S in a bottle

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I did a series of experiments with 3" drivers and various containers. I had really high hopes for a 3 liter soda bottle, but got far better results with large food cans.
My goal was to have the speaker cabinet be as simple to construct as possible, avoiding all the woodworking that conventional cabinets require.
I still think a ceramic vessel of the right shape could be very good.
PVC drain pipe, and Sonotube also can give very good results.
Ultimately, I went back to a wood cabinet for my DelSol project.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=90212

I did comparisons between the tangband W3-871, and my Aurasound NS3-194-8E, and the properties of these drivers in the same cabinet is very different. I suggest driver rolling.

Ok, since this thread seems to be all about playing around with wonderful W3-871s (despite Zaph's insistence that the B3S is better)...

I'll make some ceramic bottles to try my w3-871s drivers in. I currently have a pair of Needles that are perfect for me and my budget. I also happen to be a fairly reasonable potter and think I could throw some bottles of various shapes and sizes to try out.

A few questions since others have already thought about this:

1) What volume should I try? It sounds like 3 to 4 liters would be a little better than the 1.5 people have been able to do with found bottles. Should I even try something larger?

2) Should the bottle taper from end to end or be more bulbous, like the nOrh (http://www.norh.com/products/norh4/index.html)?

3) What's the smallest/largest size I should try for as for rear port diameter?

That's about all I can think of for now. It won't be exact science to begin with, and I promise to still use authentic wool socks as damping material. Like I said, I have the Needles, and I rigged my notch filters to be outboard, so I should be able to do a decent comparison once finished. I hope this isn't too corny a post....I suppose there are other things I could do to make or get better sounding speakers, but then it wouldn't be a hobby, would it?

1) When playing witn WinISD it looks like 6 liters might be very good tuned to to 60Hz, but might look lind of bulky. 3 to 4 liter could also be OK tuned to 75Hz.

2) Since the length will be relatively short in any case, it will be a BR, and not much of a TL. Shape is therefore probably not very imprtant.

3) 6 l tuned to 70Hz, with a port of 1.25" by 2" looks very flat.

4) There might be better choices of damping material than the wool socks :)

SveinB.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.