Phase plugs

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thanks, Dave. I'll do a little more measuring tonight. What's a good amount of gap between the plug and the coil? A 1" dowel will not fit (ever so slightly too big), but a 7/8" dowel rattles around with alot of space. Also, the drivers are pretty deep. The thing I had in there that was closest was about 1.5" though that's simply because that's how big the object started as before I sanded it down to fit.

Kensai

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Kensai said:
What's a good amount of gap between the plug and the coil?

It is always a trade-off between getting as tight as possible without having the plugs rub. Magnetic attachment also means you need just a bt more. a diameter of about a mm less than the internal VC diameter is about as tight as i like to go. A taller plug should have a bit more gap.

dave

Hi Dave, got the plugs thanks...time to have a play before I go on Hols.
Just a quick question.... Do you put any sealant on them at all, to ensure there is no adverse vibration? I've got a feeling that as soon as that magnet gets a hold, it's going to be a bugger to pull those smooth cones back out again!

Lee

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Lostcause said:
Do you put any sealant on them at all, to ensure there is no adverse vibration? I've got a feeling that as soon as that magnet gets a hold, it's going to be a bugger to pull those smooth cones back out again!

They have a coat of carnuba wax on them already. They are indeed a bit tricky to get out after you get them in -- especially in whizzer cone equiped drivers -- but it is possible.

dave

Wellllllllll, what can I say...Dave you're a god send.
That irritating 'peakiness'....that shout......that impossible to get rid of 'hash'.....GONE:bigeyes:

At last:D

I am a happy man:D

Ignore the wires and stuff everywhere I have been doing a little tinkering and I'm close to divorce…. But hey I have my music!

Thanks again Dave, Old buddy, Old pal!

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 345
I'm using the sockets a la Decware

Took out the dust cap on the Fostex 166Es in my Abbys and put in 1/2' drive sockets. big improvement in treble smoothness; as far as not removing glare in certain Cds/LPs.... there are lots of bad recordings out there, particularly CDs from the dawn of the digital era.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.