best $500 system I've ever heard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
damn , thats just ******** insane. Well done!

ok you have to be joking right ???? the word f r i g g i n is banned. I've seen some paranoid stuff on forums but that absolutely tops anything I've ever encountered in 15 years of daily forum/BBS use. Your forum, your rules but sheesh!

On the way home from a long weekend, my wife and I stopped at a flee market in the middle of no-where and picked these up for $40/00 The drivers are Stromberg Carlsons Custom Wide Range 400. I drive them with a $30.00 Sonic Impact amp and a $20.00 Sony portable CD. The sound is unbeliviable and if this is all I ever had, I would be happy. Cheers.

IMG_0948.jpg

IMG_0949.jpg

c6_0.jpg

93_0.jpg

djn said:
On the way home from a long weekend, my wife and I stopped at a flee market in the middle of no-where and picked these up for $40/00 The drivers are Stromberg Carlsons Custom Wide Range 400. I drive them with a $30.00 Sonic Impact amp and a $20.00 Sony portable CD. The sound is unbeliviable and if this is all I ever had, I would be happy. Cheers.

djn,

You lucky dawg. Those cabinets look mighty fine and the drivers in them are probably very good with a low power tube amp. Those cabs should be nice with higher quality coaxial 12 inch drivers also. Amazing what yo can stumble across on a good day.

djn said:

Those look pretty largish. Did you know what was in them for drivers when you bought the or you just took a chance? I've bought speakers just on a chance before and I would have with those as well.

definitely a good score

binarywhisper said:

Those look pretty largish. Did you know what was in them for drivers when you bought the or you just took a chance? I've bought speakers just on a chance before and I would have with those as well.

definitely a good score

Binary,

Paying $40 for the pair of those cabinets is a no brainer even if the grills were ripped and the driver cones kicked in. What are time and materials worth to make a pair of cabinets like this with real wood veneer? Almost a grand (in Canada) I`d guess.

Kinda big? Well not really. Ever wonder why small modern speakers sound like garbage, have high distortion and need that 1000 watts the wall wart powered amplifier claim to have? In speakers and the laws of physics that govern their performance, size matters.

My rule of thumb for speaker size is simple. They must be able to be removed from the room in which they are installed, in case they will not fit through the door, some disassembly is allowed. :smash: :D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.