Poor man’s WR125?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Any comment on these?
http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26948

I'd love to try something like this atop a slim little tower with a downfiring DAYTON SD270-88 10" thirty dollar subwoofer -
or even the eight inch version.

Maybe a couple of these 50 dollar plate amps slapped on their backs?
http://mcm.newark.com/NewarkWebComm...ZULCUOEWDOCXFEOFCFFYK2URYWIV1?SKU=50-6266&N=0

A promising "poor mans" OB project?

I've never monkeyed with open baffle. This looks like it'd be a fun
place to start.

Wow, 9 months old and someone remembered me posting that project on the Polk forum. I feel blessed :D

I've used those buggers OB for the last 9 months and just recently began building sealed enclosures for them. When running them OB they really miss a lot of sound up to (guessing) 300 hz. If they had a larger baffle that wouldn't be an issue, but for these it was. When doing an A/B of these OBs to a sealed version the sealed version brought out what the OBs was missing. I'm no golden ear but I'd guess the sound up to 300 hz was pretty much gone.

Go ahead and throw them into an OB; it shouldn't take very long. See how they sound. If you're not pleased at least you know you tried!

RS125 Bi- or Di-pole?

Sorry to hijack this thread. Nearly complete on a Vifa/Dayton 2-way, and looking for the next project.

Would the Dayton RS125 work well in a dipole (mini Orion, if you will) or bipole ala Planet10's WR/FR125 plus tweeter design?

A sub would cover the <200Hz range...possibly integral and side firing as part of the same cabinet.

I used the TB 4" bamboo's for some TV speakers, it took a while for them to loosen up but so far I'm very pleased with them. I've also had the W657SB's, they're ok but the bamboo's are much smoother. They're in ported enclosure tuned to ~ 75 Hz. BSC filter is L = 1.25, R = 5 ohms (had laying around), I'm using them with a sub and they sound pretty nice.

Attachments

• ht spkrs.jpg
    ht spkrs.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 422
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.