Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 73 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd May 2006, 06:31 PM   #721
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have a principal question: is it possible to remove a peak that`s close to Fs, where the impedance curve isn`t flat?
Old 22nd May 2006, 06:44 PM   #722
GM is offline GM  United States
diyAudio Member

Greets!

?? Do you mean underdamped peaking, which means either series R is required or Sm needs to be smaller?

GM
Old 22nd May 2006, 07:24 PM   #723
el`Ol is offline el`Ol  Germany
diyAudio Member

I have a peak slightly above 100Hz in the simulation that could probably not be removed by damping and would like to use a passive notch filter for correction. Drivers with too low Qts peak at very low frequencies and have a deep and wide hole above, what could probably be corrected by a series resistor, I don`t mean that.
Old 23rd May 2006, 01:04 AM   #724
diyAudio Member

Greets!

You can, though it won't be flat without a zobel, or if it's too near Fs, then a series notch filter to flatten the Fs peak.

GM
Old 23rd May 2006, 09:05 AM   #725
fred76 is offline fred76  Philippines
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GM

Greets!

I assume so, based solely on comparing published specs. You need at least this much to get a ~BIB response, so if the amp has more, it will alter the response similar to adding the difference in series R to a driver that doesn't need it.

GM
Hi GM,

So you mean if the amp has high enough output Z to offset the driver's need for a series R filter, it could still have a ~good response for a BIB? So am I right to assume that it's still "build and listen with and without series notch filter" to suit to taste? Thanks.

fred
Old 23rd May 2006, 12:58 PM   #726
diyAudio Member

Greets!

Correct.

GM
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:27 PM   #727
diyAudio Member

Default Progress Report

I am at the point of finishing the cabinets and thought that an intermediate progress report might be of interest. The cabinets are on my consumable cutting table and are ready for the side to be attached. I stripped out two pairs of CAT5 and bonded them to the inside with silicon.
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:31 PM   #728
diyAudio Member

My apologies.....the picture file size is too large and will not transmitt. If anyone has a suggestion please provide it.
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:41 PM   #729
diyAudio Member

I hope this cat 5 thing works... i wired my BIB with it because i didnt have regular speaker wire..... 8 strands.... 4 to positive.... 4 negative... 24 guage each little strand.
Old 23rd May 2006, 04:47 PM   #730
diyAudio Member

Godzilla:
I do too. I used the CAT5 for the same reason.....I was out of speaker wire and zip cord.

Can you help with my picture problem?

Hide this!Advertise here!