Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks? - Page 66 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Full Range

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th May 2006, 11:02 AM   #651
diyAudio Member

Hi

Re Monacors: I read that to about the 155, haven't heared it though.

German builders have also found a tweek to improve the mid, treble region of the monacors, I already posted that in the FR-forum.
to quote myself

Quote:
...a mod for the Monacor Fullrangers, they too have distortions in the treble. The guy also started from the voice coil cavity theory, the dustcap moves with the cone, the air in the cavity is compressed and that creates resonaces/distortion. Looking for an easy solution to prevent the compressions, began making holes in dustcaps - very logical approach, isn't it?

He reported that at a certain point the treble began to clear up until the distortions where gone. He continued and then with more or bigger holes, treble began to decrease.

So maybe that is a way "to eat the cake and still have it" have the treble from the dustcap, without compression distortion?!?
best, martin
Old 13th May 2006, 06:12 PM   #652
diyAudio Member

Hi lovechild,
makes sense, compression are seldom good whatever if it's in loudspeakers or digital compressions like MP3 One of my beloved childrens have compressed my dustcaps on my Monacors so I have to make holes in them to get them back to shape again.
However I feel that they are far to polite in the treble so I'm going to add a tweeter in my BIBs.
Cheers
Old 13th May 2006, 06:42 PM   #653
diyAudio Member

Remarkable, ten holes with a normal sewing needle about 1.5 mm improves clarity. Still think they're far too polite.
Old 13th May 2006, 07:16 PM   #654
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

Since folks seem to be brainstorming other drivers:

http://www.diyhifisupply.com/diyhs_speaker.htm

I brought these up awhile ago. The specs look very friendly (Fs 53.7, Vas 11.6, Qts .415). With that large Xmax (6.3mm) and low VAS they should have plenty of SPL in a fairly small box. They aren't cheap, but they sure aren't as expensive as the Jordans either. It doesn't appear that too many folks have tried them, as they are fairly new.

Paul
Old 13th May 2006, 07:53 PM   #655
diyAudio Member

Hi pjanda1,
have seen them but here in Europe they seem to have no distributor. Since it is not for free to ship them from the US or Asia, the Jordans are at the same price but reliable and well known.
Thanks for the advise anyway!
Old 13th May 2006, 09:47 PM   #656
pjanda1 is offline pjanda1  United States
diyAudio Member

From the website:

$134USD/pr including shipping to US/Europe/Australia/NZ/Taiwan/Japan

Perhaps you misread the price as "each." Jordans are $360 USD a pair shipped to the US. Jordans are more proven and Ted Jordan is legendary. However, for $230 less some might be interested in trying the Neofones.
Old 13th May 2006, 09:58 PM   #657
diyAudio Member

It seems that I did a Stevie Wonder! Well that brings it into some more consideration. Shall I sell the wedding ring or some of wife's jewellery?
Old 14th May 2006, 08:42 AM   #658
wac38 is offline wac38  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Hello all,

Update on BIB w/108EZs...

'Finished', well finished enough to listen to! Could not resist. I've essentially done it on the cheap, the MDF cost a total of 45 Euro (I guess 55 USD) including cuts, 108EZ 90 bucks the pair on ebay. My local Leroy-Merlin (HD equiv) did an excellent job, all cuts are w/in a mm and done in 10 mins! As you can tell from the photos, I did not have the equipment or space to do this at home (all done in my living room). I enlose a photo and if Godzilla is OK, I'd be happy to post others on his site. If anybody wants the sizes then please email directly (wac38@mac.com).

Sound... (Ariston RD80, Akito, Benz Micro MC20E 2, Linn LK1, Aureavox 5W tube monoblocks [only 5 W])... bass is surprisingly deep and detailed, tails off nicely, full in mid and highs are crisp, even not when against wall the stereo imaging is good. Though mid-high is a bit too clear. Compared to my favourite Linton XP2 (normally a large, warm sound) they are brighter with more detail in bass; Index II, different sound, where the Index have a well-equalised and controlled sound, the BIBs are alive (volume of course much louder with BIBs); TDL NFM, used as rear set in 5.1, more open sound stage, imaging is good in comparison. So, excellent but they do shout a bit in the mid-hi region.

Was planning to do a pair in real wood but I may just veneer, very happy with this project (and a nice easy one to get the ball rolling for those who first attempt this is [like me]). Thanks for the help available on the thread esp. Godzilla and Scottmoose for sharing their experience and numbers...

Best

Wilson
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bib108ez-4.jpg (46.2 KB, 872 views)
Old 14th May 2006, 09:33 AM   #659
wac38 is offline wac38  Scotland
diyAudio Member

IMHO,
... and for those that know Talking Heads' 'Heaven' on Stop Making Sense (good to hear what a guitar sounds like...) it sounds amazing, the difference is akin to when I replaced my plastic receiver with tubes... yes that much!! same with Marquee Moon & Southern Man (wow!).
... put on Mingus, Nomeansno & Joy Division for bass, very clear and tight bass though perhaps not as expansive as I am used to but furniture can be moved to get close to the walls.
... for 'wall-of-sound' Loop and Dvorak's Stabat Matter, the SM perhaps a little thin compared to what I am used to with the Index or XP2 (perhaps because of the loud treble as the bass is good when it kicks in).
... Sketches of Spain, very detailed in horns (hear the brassiness of the horn) and in bass, breathing is easily heard
... Horns are also excellent on Resolution on A Love Supreme tho the bass is a bit lost
Last test...
Ysabel's Table Dance, castanets clear, singing clappng all no problem. Perhaps gets a bit lost when it turns complicated at just over 2 mins. The high treble will be tiring if it keeps up (but I've heard it often enough to know it doesnt!), piano at 3 mins odd is nice as is the sax at 4 mins. Good detail on Mingus when bowing or plucking. Piano sounded good, so
Very last test, as I must go to work
Aldo Ciccolini's Janacek album is a crystal-clear, you can easily hear the effect of pedal use and when he lets the notes trail off. There is no articifial rounding, very crisp. Though it could be a bit more expansive.

In short, need more bass (easy part) and/or less treble. They need to be higher for my listening position, but I will have a small foot made for each by next week.

Dig out your Neil Young, you will appreciate it all the more with these

w.
Old 15th May 2006, 04:36 PM   #660
diyAudio Member

Makes me wish i bought some 108S when they were going for cheap from HornShoppe

http://www.zillaspeak.com/bib.asp

some new BIBs... click the logos.

Godzilla

Hide this!Advertise here!