Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Thanks for that. Will have to convert to metric but no problem.

I was also looking for the frequency response modelling that was on Zilla to help decide which driver to go for - if anybody knows where that is now?

Hope you enjoy the 188 BIBs, they sound great and get better with use. I have a pair of 168 BIBs around 7 years old now as well as some 208EZ/T90 BIBs. Having moved house I may sell the 168s and build the smaller 108s.

Cheers

Sorry the charts are not available online. Nearly all of the charts looked horrid but when you visually filter out the jaggies and just look at the averaged curve you can see the bass response. Regardless of whether you use the 126 or the 108, i doubt you will notice a big difference in bass response (assuming you put them into the same BIB). If i happen across the charts (which I hope are on a hard drive i pulled everything onto prior to my divorce - which is still pending, grrrr! - I will be sure to post them.

Having heard the 127 in BIBs i can say they are extremely sweet sounding and produce a very natural and tight bass when in corners. They have a very delicate and 'pretty' sound. The 168s (old style with whizzer) offers a more dynamic sound but not really a better sound overall. I think the 127e and 168s are great drivers but they do have their sonic personalities. Every one seemed to love the 108 so i think you probably have a winner there.

Zilla

Here's an old sim of the FE108ES in TC's 40-1354 BIB. Refer to MJK's BIB doc for some idea of an in room response.

GM

Attachments

• FE108ES T.C. BIB Tapered.gif
    FE108ES T.C. BIB Tapered.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 753
What is the gray wadding you are using?

Im sorry for this very late replay, buts its a very thick rug.

I bet it has a powerful sound! Awesome!

Thanks!! I like the a lot, but they sound a bit lean. I think there is leaks in the current mounting of the driver. Im going to glue on another layer of plywood on the front, and make them more airtight around the driver. I just got to find some time and energy. I prefere sailing during the short summer-months up here in sweden. :eek:

Regards
Johannes.

Great extension for a 4"!

Yeah, I never tried loading anything < 8" in any of my big corner horns as they were tuned to Fs and back then, smaller drivers were typically > 100 Hz, so just assumed they would self destruct on vinyl's typically 'thumping' so called bass [mid bass actually] if not high passed, ergo saw no point in wasting any time/materials on what seemed a 'fool's errand'. It never occurred to me to tune them same as a WG [or lower to better couple to the room] until TC PM'd me about the Japanese pipe horn.

GM

Im sorry for this very late replay, buts its a very thick rug............but they sound a bit lean.

Even small leaks tend to cause the speaker to unload enough to self destruct except at very low power, but a thick rug on the other hand is probably way too dense a material for this app, so if sealing up any potential leaks doesn't cure its leanness.........

GM

Hi! Due to the change of accomodation (moving hi fi to another room) and due to some domestic considerations I will have to dismantle my OBs and think about building something so that everyone is pleased...At first I thought that I will be moving to a small room but after some discussion with Swmbo, she agreed to let me put the speakers in the living room under the condition that they are out of the way and not ugly. Since I recently purchased a pair of second hand CSS125fr drivers I thought about trying them in a BiB. They would be later supported by a pair of small sealed subs using Eminence Beta 15 and Linkwitz transform circuit...
To make long story short, has anyone built CSs 125 in a bib and is it worth it, or should I try something else?
btw, room dims. are 4.80m x 4.20m x 2.50m. Thanks, Vix

Hi! Due to the change of accomodation (moving hi fi to another room) and due to some domestic considerations I will have to dismantle my OBs and think about building something so that everyone is pleased...At first I thought that I will be moving to a small room but after some discussion with Swmbo, she agreed to let me put the speakers in the living room under the condition that they are out of the way and not ugly. Since I recently purchased a pair of second hand CSS125fr drivers I thought about trying them in a BiB. They would be later supported by a pair of small sealed subs using Eminence Beta 15 and Linkwitz transform circuit...
To make long story short, has anyone built CSs 125 in a bib and is it worth it, or should I try something else?
btw, room dims. are 4.80m x 4.20m x 2.50m. Thanks, Vix

I'd be very careful about running the CSS FR or WR125s in any type of BLH or OB without limiting LF extension - the motor has far more power than the suspension can handle. Based on my experience with them, over excursion is a lot easier to achieve than with say a Fostex, MarkAudio, Vifa, Peerless, TangBand etc., with very alarming results.

They work well in small sealed or aperiodic vented enclosures.

over excursion?

Can some wordsmith help me to identify over excursion? I have a pair of 168Z in a Bib I built a few years ago and I love em. I was using a DIY 2 watt SET but changed to a chipamp as I wanted to add a DAC to allow digital files.

With the new amp I'm getting an occasional sound I can't identify. It's only audible at higher volumes and with certain instruments. Particularly things like gloch or xylophone or steel drums. Very dense sounds at higher pressures and I get a sound a bit like someone opening Velcro added to the music!

Not nice, but I'm a bit worried I might be damaging something. Trying to trace if it is the amp flipping out or the drivers topping out?

Can anyone shed some light?