Terry Cain's BIB -why does it work and does anyone have those Fostex Craft Handbooks?

Unless the new amp is enough more powerful than the SET and/or there's some really low LF such as TT 'rumble' to push the driver to the point of 'stretching' its spider [obvious high excursion] and/or 'stutter' bounce the VC off the back plate due to a BIB typically being tuned well below Fs, then it could be the amp's wiring and/or its electronics going non-linear.

Agreed, long term, the drivers will probably need re-coning/replacing if allowed to continue making this noise and may already need to be if due to excessive excursion, so check the driver's physical construction, i.e. glue joints and/or are any of the VC tinsel leads slapping/vibrating against the cone at high excursion, etc..

GM

amp non linear?

Thanks for the response.

Checked drivers and they seem all fine. They do still sound very clean the vast majority of the time. The better the front end gets the better these speakers become. I do love them.

When you say the electronics becoming non linear are you talking about maybe too much resistance created by say speaker cables, causing things go DC?

Im happy to build kits but as you can tell, Im no modder. My technical understanding is very limited but my appreciation of systems and what I like in music is well honed!:)

GM, just illustrates that I don't know what the funk I'm talking about. I remember reading somewhere that chip amps are particularly susceptible to being upset by some cables, specifically ribbon type cables. I think I made the (obviously tosh) conclusion it was to do with resistance.

Oddly enough, I get more of the noise when playing digi files from my mac than when using the CDP as source. I'm really confused now.

Hi,

While searching this thread I found out that Lousymusician has built a BiB with CSS125fr and was quite happy. I am more and more inclined to go this route unless someone convinces me that there's a better way...
By the way, I couldn't quite figure out what dimensions have been used, can someone help me with that?

Thanks and Regards
Vix

Hi

Could anyone please check and confirm, are those dims correct?

Thanks,

Vix

Attachments

• Bib-CSS125.jpg
    Bib-CSS125.jpg
    132.5 KB · Views: 451
That's not too big a BIB IMO. I only looked at the overall dims you have there but did not check your calculations. Similar in size to what i have for the Fostex 127e... I'll bet your correct enough. I find the BIBs could be relatively generic for a large variety of drivers.

Enjoy and post your results... once you have confirmation your measurements are correct.

Zilla

Could anyone please check and confirm, are those dims correct?

If the specs you inputted are correct, then so is the dims.

That said, for a ~ 96" ceiling height, I'm reluctant to use a pipe horn shorter than T.C.'s [48.78 Hz input] and if I can ever get back to DIYing speakers, plan to put my 125s in it [even same ~55"^2 'Sm'] and experiment with various shape 'tophats' to mass load them a bit plus better couple them to the ceiling.

GM

Even small leaks tend to cause the speaker to unload enough to self destruct except at very low power,

I think there is some leaks around the driver. Im not worried about destroying the drivers. I have been giving them 250 watts each on several occasions. No excessive excursion or distortion, only VERY VERY VERY loud! Everything in my house was vibrating and flexing. The walls moved back and forth over an inch at some places. :D The frame of my house has a tone/resonance, that can be heard if i suddenly pause my CD-player.

They sound lean, but its only a matter of balance. I will glue on another layer of plywood and fasten the drivers with bolts and T-nuts. I hope it will "cure" the somewhat lean character.

I think the BIB is a great kind of speaker. I want to build another pair with my Beyma 12P80Nd, but my gilrfriend does not like that. It might be a project this coming winter.

Regards Johannes.

I have a pair of cheap car-audio coaxial 6,5 inch driver that i want to BIB. My kids want some rock ´n roll speakers with decent bass on the cheap.
I have absolutely no idea what Qts/Vas/Fs is, but i know the BIB is very forgiving and tolerant of different speakers.

Should i just simulate some other cheap high-Qts driver of the same size and hope for the best?
What is a good size to get some real thump from the BIB?

Johannes.

Well, I wrote a long history of what I use to do when there were no specs except Fs, but all things considered, I guess that just making a scaled version of TC’s original BIB to accommodate the larger driver by assuming it has a ~138” path-length [assuming a ~8 ft high ceiling] and a ~1.0 Qts should make it large enough, which just happens to work out to ~11.64 ft^3, very close to my earlier way of doing pipe horns at ~11.055 ft^3.

height (in) 69.006
depth (in) 20.303
width (in) 14.356
A-B-C (in) 10.152
driver offset (in) 29.949
driver offset - sub (in) 59.898
driver height (in) 39.808
driver height - sub (in) 9.859

L (in) 138.013
Sm (in^2) 291.479
net Vb (ft^3) 11.64000

baffle thickness (in) 0.750
zdriver 0.217
zdriver - sub 0.434
Fs 48.78
Vas (ft^3) 0.5820
Qts 1
SoS (in/sec) 13464.54

This should make it large enough to allow sufficient in-room tuning flexibility.

GM

Thanks GM!

I will probably build them this fall.
They want to listen to Kiss, Deep Purple, Metallica and Rammstein. They will probably use them as a soundsystem when playing Team Fortress 2 and Half Life 2 on their computer. Nothing like some good low end thump when blasting someones head of with a rocket launcher! :D

Johannes.

Now both my big BIBs with B&C 10PS26 bass/midbass drivers are playing. I think they sound wonderful! There is some slight coloration. Nothing to annoying, but there is something slight there. The have a very full and powerfull bass. Very "fast". They start and stop a bass-note very fast. No decay or room-resonance. They seems to dominate the room-acoustics in some way.

Im very pleased! Now i just have to ad tweeters. I have some different ideas there. Maybe a 3 inch fullrangedriver with a 6 dB active filter @ 600 - 1000 Hz somewhere.

Thank you everyone that have been contributing to this thread!
Thanks GM and Godzilla! You have done so much to make the BIB known!

Johannes.